Petra De Sutter
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Petra De Sutter
|Member of the Belgian Senate|
|Assumed office |
|Born||10 June 1963 (age 56)|
Petra De Sutter (Oudenaarde, 10 June 1963) is a professor of gynaecology at Ghent University, head of the Department of Reproductive Medicine at Ghent University Hospital (UZ Gent) and a politician of the Green party.
In the 2014 European elections, she was second on the list for the Flemish Green party. However, while the party gained votes, it missed its hold on an additional second seat. She was subsequently co-opted by her party for a seat in the Belgian Senate; as a trans woman, she became the first openly transgender Belgian to be on a party election list.
In addition to her role in the Senate, De Sutter has been serving as member of the Belgian delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe since 2014. As member of the Socialists, Democrats and Greens Group, she is currently a member of the Committee on Migration, Refugees and Displaced Persons; the Committee on Rules of Procedure, Immunities and Institutional Affairs; the Sub-Committee on Integration; the Sub-Committee on Public Health and Sustainable Development; and the Sub-Committee on Ethics. She has served as the Assembly’s rapporteur on children’s rights in relation to surrogacy arrangements (2016); on the use of new genetic technologies in human beings (2017); and on the conditions of reception of refugees and migrants (2018).
Since her political debut, De Sutter has tackled important issues: a regulation for surrogacy at a Belgian and European level, independent clinical research in the pharmaceutical industry, the risks of TTIP for our consumer’s protection of food and chemicals, and more human rights for LGBT people.
On 15 September 2018 it was announced she is seeking nomination as one of the European Greens two lead candidates for the 2019 European Parliament elections, which eventually fell down to the Dutch Bas Eickhout and the German Ska Keller.
- Petra De Sutter, Elke Lahousse, (Over)leven: mijn strijd als transvrouw arts & politica (2016, ISBN 946041513X)
- Professor Petra De Sutter aangeduid als gecoöpteerd senator voor Groen, 21 June 2014, Het Laatste Nieuws
- https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20140228_01004504 Petra De Sutter is eerste transgender op kieslijst], 1 March 2014, Het Nieuwsblad
- Surrogacy: governments should consider drawing up guidelines to safeguard children’s rights, Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, press release of September 21, 2016.
- Petra De Sutter: “High time for a debate on new genetic technologies” Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, press release of August 3, 2017.
- More efforts needed for refugees’ reception on Greek islands Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, press release of July 13, 2018.
- European Greens - Support phase Leading Candidates