Pistol River, Oregon
|Pistol River, Oregon|
|• Total||0.59 sq mi (1.53 km2)|
|• Land||0.59 sq mi (1.53 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||21 ft (6 m)|
|• Density||142/sq mi (55.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|Area code(s)||458 and 541|
|GNIS feature ID||1147776|
Pistol River (Tolowa: chvt-ler’sh-chvn-dvn taa-ghii~-li~’ ) is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Curry County, Oregon, United States. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 84. It is near the Pistol River and the Pistol River State Scenic Viewpoint, just to the east of U.S. Route 101.
The community of Pistol River takes its name from the stream that flows past it. James Mace, a militia soldier, lost a pistol in the river in 1853, during a skirmish of the Rogue River Wars, and it has been known as the Pistol River since then. The Pistol River post office was established in 1927.
The Pistol River area is known for its windsurfing, and the International Windsurfing Tour holds the Pistol River Wavebash there annually. Many say that Pistol River has the best windsurfing in the state.
Pistol River has a concert association that has hosted a monthly concert, often featuring nationally known acts, since 1982.
- "Siletz Talking Dictionary". Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Pistol River CDP, Oregon". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 10, 2015.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 767. ISBN 978-0875952772.
- "Pistol River State Scenic Viewpoint". Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. Retrieved 2006-11-13.
- "Oregon California Coast Gold Beach Sightseeing: Pistol River". Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Pistol River Concert Association". Retrieved 2006-11-13.
- Photo of a historic marker from Salem Public Library describing the Battle of Pistol River that took place during the Rogue River Wars
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pistol River, Oregon.|
|This Curry County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|