|Formerly||Mejorando.la, Mejorando la Web|
Christian Van Der Henst
Number of employees
Platzi is a Guatemalan-Colombian educational platform.
Platzi was founded in Colombia by Freddy Vega and Christian Van Der Henst in 2014. Both met as competitors in their former companies: Cristalab and Maestros del Web. The company was born from a livestream weekly show called “Mejorando.la”, before becoming "Platzi" in 2015, partially to make the company more amenable to international consumers.
In 2015 it received its first venture capital funding. Initial offices for the company were in Bogota, Colombia, and Mexico City, Mexico. In 2014 the co-founders moved to San Francisco after being accepted to Y Combinator Winter 2015 program in Silicon Valley, becoming the first company targeting Latin American to be accepted to the incubator. In the same year it raised $2.1 million from funds like Omidyar Network and 500 Startups.
The platform uses video and interactive lessons to teach tangible skills rather than academic education, in Spanish, English and Portuguese. Platzi creates the courses, hires instructors and does the recording of the lessons. Many instructors are not professional teachers, but subject matter experts and professionals in the field they are teaching about, like YC's Sam Altman, Wufoo's Kevin Hale and Moz's co-founder Rand Fishkin. A sampling of courses available as of 2018 were Programming Foundations, Internet Of Things, Mathematics for Programming, Facebook Ads Platform, Google Cloud Platform, IBM Cloud, Interface Design, and Development with Unity.
Platzi has also created employee training courses for corporations, including Microsoft, IBM, Facebook and Google. It has also launched free educational campaigns during elections to provide voters with information about the different parties, issues, and candidates, in addition to days on which anyone can use their lessons for free. In 2015 Platzi began offering English lessons. In addition to its courses, Platzi runs conferences and news broadcast channels for the tech world.
As of 2017 the platform had about 370,000 students, mainly in Mexico, Colombia, Spain, and the United States. In 2018 the platform had 600,000 students. As of 2019 the platform had more than one million students, 150,000 of which were located in Colombia, and the rest in other countries. Those that complete Platzi courses receive a certificate; the platform has a 70% completion rate among its students.
In 2019, Platzi launched 1,000 scholarships in collaboration with Facebook for Brazilian, Colombian and Mexican students from underrepresented populations in technology. It also launched 3,000 scholarships for Colombians in poverty with the Ministry of Technology of Colombia.
- Cano, Rosa Jiménez (May 14, 2016). "Platzi, formación para el mundo digital" (in Spanish) – via elpais.com.
- Rojo, José Vicente (December 28, 2017). "Platzi, la startup de educación para emprendedores que ha llegado a Silicon Valley" (in Spanish).
- "Online Learning Service Platzi Wants To Teach You Useful Tech Skills".
- "Startup accelerators helped spark Latin America's tech boom".
- Kolodny, Lora (2016-01-09). "Platzi Raises $2.1 Million to Deliver Professional Skills Courses". WSJ. Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- "Platzi Raises $6 Million to Bring More Online Education to Latin America - EdSurge News". EdSurge. 2019-06-18. Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- "Platzi llega a España | Loogic Startups". loogic.com. Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- "Platzi recebe investimento para se fortalecer no Brasil e na Espanha – Wwwhat's new? – Aplicações e tecnologia" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- Peñarredonda, José Luis. "The man who wants to make university degrees obsolete". www.bbc.com. Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- Dinero. "Fundadores de Platzi reciben reconocimiento como emprendedores del año Endeavor". Fundadores de Platzi son condecorados como los emprendedores del año (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- "Online Learning Service Platzi Wants To Teach You Useful Tech Skills". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- "ENTER.CO". ENTER.CO.
- Tiempo, Casa Editorial El. "Platzi cuenta con más de 500.000 alumnos virtuales". Portafolio.co (in Spanish).
- "¿Son tus primeras elecciones? Revisa la "Escuela del Voto"". Expansión. June 5, 2018.
- S.A.S, Editorial La República. "Nueva convocatoria online para los creadores de startups en el mundo". www.larepublica.co (in Spanish).
- Cano, Rosa Jiménez (October 5, 2016). "Silicon Valley abraza México" – via elpais.com.
- Forbes Staff (July 12, 2017). "Esta empresa quiere convertir a AL en exportador de tecnología • Forbes México". Forbes México (in Spanish).
- "El 'Netflix' de la educación". www.eluniversal.com.co (in Spanish). April 28, 2019.
- "Freddy Vega y su plataforma para renovar la educación". ELESPECTADOR.COM (in Spanish). April 21, 2017.
- "Facebook e Platzi distribuem 1 mil bolsas de estudo em programação". Computerworld (in Portuguese). 2019-06-28. Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- Rozo, Karen (2019-06-23). "¿Amante de la tecnología? Facebook habilita 1000 becas en Latinoamérica". Caracol Radio (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- "Platzi and Facebook launch coding scholarship program for aspiring developers". Contxto. 2019-06-24. Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- Tiempo, Casa Editorial El (2019-07-03). "Ministerio de las TIC capacita a colombianos en tecnologías 4.0". El Tiempo (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-10-20.
- Chafkin, Max (April 16, 2015). "Y Combinator President Sam Altman Is Dreaming Big". Fast Company.