Coronet Theatre, London
|Former names||The Print Room; Print Room at the Coronet|
|Address||The Coronet Theatre|
103 Notting Hill Gate, London,
|Type||Theatre and registered charity|
The Coronet Theatre, formerly The Print Room, is an Off West End theatre located in the former Coronet Cinema in London. The company was founded in Westbourne Grove, West London, and opened in September 2010. It produces a programme of theatre, art, dance, poetry, film and music. The theatre is run by Artistic Director Anda Winters.
The Coronet Theatre has a 195-seat main auditorium, and a smaller, 100-seat black box theatre and studio space named The Print Room.
The theatre began in a converted 1950s warehouse which had served as a graphic design workshop in Westbourne Grove. The venue had two spaces: an 80-seater studio, which was used for its larger productions, and a 40-seater space for smaller theatre pieces, play readings and art exhibitions.
In July 2014, it was announced that The Print Room was taking over the Coronet Cinema in Notting Hill Gate as its new home. In May 2019, Print Room at the Coronet re-branded the company to the original 1898 name The Coronet Theatre.
- Fabrication by Pier Paolo Pasolini (10 November – 4 December 2010)
- Snake in the Grass by Alan Ayckbourn (9 February – 12 March 2011)
- Kingdom of Earth by Tennessee Williams (28 April – 28 May 2011)
- "Devils Festival" a two-week festival featuring work from the theatre's artistic apprentices: The Printer's Devils (18 June – 2 July 2011)
- One for the Road/Victoria Station by Harold Pinter (13 September – 1 October 2011)
- Judgement Day by Mike Poulton, a new version of Henrik Ibsen's When We Dead Awaken (16 November – 17 December 2011)
- The Brodsky Quartet: Petit Fours (28 February 2012)
- Toujours Et Pres de Moi, a Print Room/Opera Erratica co-production (14–26 May 2012)
- Uncle Vanya by Anton Chekhov in a new version by Mike Poulton (21 March – 28 April, and extended 18 June – 7 July 2012)
- Thom Pain (Based on Nothing) by Will Eno (15 September – 12 January 2008)
- Lot and His God by Howard Barker (3–24 November 2012)
- Ivy and Joan by James Hogan (14 January – 26 November 2013)
- Molly Sweeney by Brian Friel (27 April – 27 March 2013)
- Screaming in Advance[when?] – a two-day festival, comprising four new plays in rehearsed readings performed by members of the company, and Howard Barker in discussion with the company and the journalist Mark Brown.
- 4000 Miles by Amy Herzog (14 May – 1 June 2013)
- Tutto Bene, Mamma? by Gloria Mina in a new English version by April de Angelis (15 June – 6 July 2013)
- The Summer Concerts, featuring Antonio Forcione and Adriano Adewale Duo, Death's Cabaret: A Love Story and L'Homme Orchestre: Jean Michel Bernard (30 June – 11 July 2013)
- The Last Yankee by Arthur Miller (7 September – 5 October 2013)
- The Dumb Waiter by Harold Pinter (27 October – 23 November 2013)
- Amygdala by Geraldine Alexander (25 November – 14 December 2013)
- The Cocktail Party by T.S. Eliot (14 September – 10 October 2015)
- Ubu and the Truth Commission directed by William Kentridge in collaboration with Handspring Puppet Company (15 October 2015 – 7 November 2015)
- Trois Ruptures/Three Splits by Remi De Vos (11 November 2015 – 18 November 2015)
- Table of Delights by Theatre Damfino (23 November 2015 – 13 December 2015)
- Five Finger Exercise by Peter Shaffer (18 January – 13 February 2016)
- Terra, written by Hubert Essakow and performed by the Print Room Dance Company (23 February – 12 March 2016)
- Deathwatch by Jean Genet and translated by David Rudkin (11 April – 7 May 2016)
- In the Depths of Love by Howard Barker (15 January – 7 February 2017)
Awards & nominations
- Peter Brook Empty Space Award Nominee 2011
- Off West End Award for Best Set Designer 2012, for Kingdom of Earth, won by Ruth Sutcliffe
- Off West End Award for Best Sound Designer 2012, for Snake in The Grass, won by Neil Alexander
- Off West End Award for Best Production 2013, for Uncle Vanya
- The Print Room: About us Archived 2013-07-01 at the Wayback Machine Relinked 2014-06-24
- OffWestEnd.com: The Print Room Relinked 2014-06-24
- BBC News, 9 February 2011: How to run a theatre without arts funding Linked 2014-06-24
- "Home". The Coronet Theatre.
- What's On Stage, 4 December 2012: Anda Winters announces new season at Print Room Relinked 2014-06-24
- BBC News, 23 June 2014: Notting Hill's Coronet cinema to become theatre Linked 2014-06-24
- A Younger Theatre: Review: The Last Yankee Linked 2014-06-24
- Vale, Paul. "The Cocktail Party review at the Print Room, London – 'stylish and intelligent'".
- Ellerby, Rebekah (20 October 2015). "Review: UBU and the Truth Commission, Print Room".
- "Trois Ruptures/Three Splits, The Print Room". Culture Whisper.
- Haydon, Ronnie. "The Table of Delights review at Print Room, London".
- The Writers' Guild of Great Britain: Empty Space...Peter Brook Awards 2011 Archived 2014-01-16 at the Wayback Machine Relinked 2014-06-24
- OffWestEnd.com: 2012 Offie winners announced Relinked 2014-06-24
- OffWestEnd.com: Photos of the Offies 2013 winners Linked 2014-06-24