Proud (JLS song)
|Single by JLS|
|from the album Goodbye – The Greatest Hits|
|Released||16 March 2012|
|JLS singles chronology|
"Proud" is a song by British boy band JLS, which serves as the official Sport Relief charity single for 2012, and appears on the festive edition of the group's fourth studio album, Evolution. The single was released on 16 March 2012. The song was written by co-written by JLS, Daniel Davidsen, Jason Gill, Jonathan Gill, Cutfather, and Ali Tennant. The single sold nearly 45,000 copies during its first week of sales, peaking at number 6 on the UK Singles Chart.
A music video to accompany the release of "Proud" was first released onto YouTube on 10 February 2012 at a total length of four minutes and eight seconds. The video sees JLS walk around Wembley Stadium at night, interspersed with shots of children being inspired by sports. Olympic athletes Philips Idowu, Rebecca Adlington and Louis Smith also make an appearance carrying the British flag.
Robert Copsey of Digital Spy gave the song a positive review stating: "As charity singles stand, it ticks all the necessary boxes: a twinkly piano riff, light R&B beats and the words "stronger", "wiser" and, of course "proud" jammed in as many times as possible. As an exercise in schmaltzy midtempo balladry, it passes with flying colours - though points are deducted due to the lack of key change in the finale." .
In Ireland, the song debuted at number twenty-eight. "Proud" debuted at number six in the United Kingdom, with first-week sales of nearly 45,000, copies. However, the track only spent two weeks inside the Top 40.
- "Proud" – 4:02
- "Proud" (Cutmore Radio Remix) – 3:21
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||6|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||6|
|United Kingdom||16 March 2012||Epic Records, Sony Music||Digital download, CD single|
- Lyons, Beverley (18 March 2012). "JLS reveal their excitement at creating new album with superstar US producers". Sunday Mail. Daily Record. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "JLS to release Sport Relief song". BBC. 19 January 2012. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- JLS: 'Proud' - Single review. Digital Spy
- "Chart Track: Week 12, 2012". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Official Chart Analysis: Paul Weller LP sells 30k, Katy Perry single shifts 79k". Music Week. 26 March 2012. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- UK Singles Chart - week 8 April 2012
- "Proud - Single by JLS". iTunes.
- "Archive Chart: 2012-03-31". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Archive Chart: 2012-03-31" UK Singles Chart.