|Headquarters||Portland, Oregon, U.S.|
|Luke Kanies (Founder), Sanjay Mirchandani (CEO), Andrew Shafer|
|Products||Puppet, Puppet Enterprise, and Puppet Forge|
Puppet's primary product, Puppet Enterprise, comprises a commercially supported version of its open-source configuration management tool, Puppet. Puppet IT automation software uses Puppet's declarative language to manage various stages of the IT infrastructure lifecycle, including the provisioning, patching, configuration, and management of operating system and application components across enterprise data centers and cloud infrastructures.
In February 2011 Puppet released its first commercial product, Puppet Enterprise, built on the open-source base and providing commercial users with improved usability as well as some commercial components. In September 2011, the company released Puppet Enterprise 2.0, which introduced integration with MCollective, acquired by Puppet in 2010, as well as provisioning for virtual machines directly on Amazon EC2 and VMware. In June 2013, Puppet released Puppet Enterprise 3.0, which features a rewritten orchestration engine that will ease the automated rollout of changes across multiple sites and clouds.
Built as cross-platform software, Puppet and Puppet Enterprise operate on Linux distributions, including RHEL (and clones such as CentOS and Oracle Linux), Fedora, Debian, Mandriva, Ubuntu, and SUSE, as well as on multiple Unix systems (Solaris, BSD, Mac OS X, AIX, HP-UX), and has Microsoft Windows support. It is a model-driven solution that requires limited programming knowledge to use.
Puppet purchased the infrastructure automation Distelli in September of 2017. Puppet rebranded Distelli's VM Dashboard (a continuous integration / continuous delivery product) as Puppet Pipelines for Applications, and K8S Dashboard as Puppet Pipelines for Containers. The products were made generally available in October, 2017.
Puppet released Puppet Discovery, a tool to discover and manipulate resources in hybrid networks, in May of 2018. It is Puppet's third stand-alone enterprise product.
In 2005, Puppet was founded by former CEO Luke Kanies.
- "Company Overview of Puppet Labs, Inc". Bloomberg Businessweek.
- "Puppet Labs". Crunchbase.
- "Puppet Enterprise". Puppet.
- Rao, Leena. "Cisco, Google Ventures, VMware Put $8.5M In Data Center Automation Startup Puppet Labs". TechCrunch.
- Graner, Amber. "Puppet Labs Announces Puppet Enterprise".
- Kerner, Sean Michael. "Puppet Goes After Enterprise System Management". Enterprise Networking Planet.
- Rao, Leena. "Data Center Automation Startup Puppet Labs Acquires OPen Source Project The Marionette Collective". TechCrunch.
- Finley, Klint. "Puppet 2.0 Will Support Amazon EC2 and VMware Provisioning". Silicon Angle.
- New Puppet tool beefs up orchestration automation for enterprise use — Tech News and Analysis. Gigaom.com (2013-06-25). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Rao, Leena. "Cisco, Google Ventures, VMware Put $8.5M in Data Center Automation Startup Puppet Labs". TechCrunch.
- "Docs: PE 2.0 - Installing - System Requirements". Puppet.
- "Puppet system requirements". Puppet.
- Dehaan, MP. "Deploying Apache Tomcat Applications With Puppet". tomcatexpert.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Puppet (company).|