Queens Place Mall
Queens Place Mall in 2009.
|Location||Elmhurst, Queens, New York City, USA|
|Address||88-01 Queens Boulevard|
Elmhurst, NY 11373
|Opening date||October 11, 1965|
|Management||Madison International Realty|
|Owner||Madison International Realty|
|Architect||Skidmore, Owings & Merrill|
|No. of anchor tenants||16|
|Total retail floor area||440,000 sq ft (41,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||5|
|Public transit access||New York City Subway: Grand Avenue–Newtown ( trains)|
Queens Place is an urban shopping mall in Queens, New York. Just northwest of the larger Queens Center, it is located on Queens Boulevard in the neighborhood of Elmhurst, Queens. The building was constructed in 1965 as Macy's and was designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. It was later converted to Stern's, due to Macy's of Elmhurst moving into Queens Center, as part of Macy's dissolving of Abraham & Straus, in 1994, and then, as a result of Macy's dissolving Stern's in 2001, closed by Federated Department Stores. Today its flagship stores are Best Buy, DSW, Inc., and Target, and it contains many smaller stores such as Red Lobster, Dunkin Donuts, and Mrs. Fields' Cookies.
On December 22, 2017 Queens Place was acquired by Madison International Realty from Forest City Realty Trust. The real estate private equity firm had previously acquired a 49% stake in the Forest City portfolio in 2011 and purchased the remaining 51% in 2017 to make Madison International Realty one of the largest retail landlords in New York. French bank Natixis refinanced the property with a $100 million loan in April 2018.
Architecture and design
The building was originally planned as completely round. However, Mary Sendek, the owner of the corner property at 55th Avenue and Queens Boulevard staunchly refused to sell what had been her childhood home, and as a result the original Macy's building was re–configured with a small notch on one corner, building it around Sendek's property. Mrs. Sendek continued to live in the small house on the property until her death in 1980.
Queens Place is bounded by Queens Boulevard, 56th Avenue, Justice Avenue, and 55th Avenue. The main entrance to the Queens Place Mall faces Queens Boulevard. There is a parking garage entrance for the Queens Place Mall on 56th Avenue. Queens Center is one block southeast on Queens Boulevard, between 57th and 59th Avenues.
- Cunningham, Cathy (September 17, 2017). "Madison International Agrees to Buy Forest City's $1B New York Retail Portfolio". Commercial Observer. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
- Cunningham, Cathy (April 25, 2018). "Madison International Realty Nabs $100M Natixis Refi for Queens Place Mall". Commercial Observer. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
|This article about a building or structure in Queens is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States shopping mall is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|