|Meaning||Member of the Quraish tribe|
|Region of origin||Arabia|
|Related names||Qureshi, Qurashi, Quraishy, Qureishy, Qureyshi, Qurayshi, Quraishi, Qureshy, Quraishy, Qoraishi, Qoreshi, Koraishi, Kureshi, Kureshy, Kureishi, Kourashi, Coreishi, قریشی|
|Clan affiliations||Hashmi, Siddiqui, Farooqi, Usmani, Syed, Abbasi, Jafri, Shah, Shaikh, Kazi, Alawi|
Qureyshi (also known as Qureshi, Quraishi, Qurayshi, Qureshy, Quraishy, Qoraishi, Qoreshi, Koraishi, Kureshi, Kureshy, Kureishi, Coreish, Urdu: قریشی) is a Muslim family name, originating from the Quraysh tribe, which was the noblest tribe in Mecca around the time of the birth of the Prophet Muhammad. At the time of Muhammad’s birth, his grandfather Abdul-Muttalib was the tribal head.
Fihr AlQuraish (bin Malik bin An-Nadr bin Qais bin Kinanah bin Khuzaimah bin Mudriqa bin Ilyas/Ayas bin Mudar bin Nazaar/Nizar bin Mu'aad bin Adnan) was a distinguished tribal chief and the first Qureshi whose descendants are called Banu Quraish. The Prophet Muhammad also mentioned Fihr AlQuraish in his lineage up to Adnan.
In India and Pakistan
The Meta Qureshi are a Muslim community found in the state of Gujarat in India and a province of Sindh in Pakistan. They are one of a number of communities of pastoral nomads found in the Banni region of Kutch. The community is also known as simply Qureshi.
The Qassab (Urdu: قصاب; plural of قصائی Qasai, meaning butcher) are members of the Muslim community or biradari involved in the meat business. Many members of the Qassab community are butchers and work in abattoirs and meat shops where they process and sell the meat of poultry, seafood, cattle, goats, and sheep. They are known as Quraishi Qassab and are found in North India and Pakistan. They are also known as Chikwa, Bare Qasab, and Bakar Qasab.
Notable people called Qureshi
- Nabeel Qureshi
- Fazal Qureshi
- Shah Mehmood Qureshi
- Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi
- Faisal Qureshi (disambiguation)
- Mustafa Qureshi
- Subhan Qureshi
- Moeenuddin Ahmad Qureshi
- Huma Qureshi (disambiguation)
- Ahsaan Qureshi
- "Qureshi Family Information". Qureshifamily.info. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (صلی الله علیه و آله وسلم) - Biography". Qureshifamily.info. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Abdul Muttalib / Shibah - Biography". Qureshifamily.info. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- People of India Gujarat Volume XXI Part Three edited by R.B Lal, P.B.S.V Padmanabham, G Krishnan & M Azeez Mohideen pages 1153-1157
- People of India Uttar Pradesh Volume XLII Part Two, edited by A. Hasan & J.C. Das, pages 736 to 742