People and Territory
People and Territory (Popolo e Territorio, PT), originally Responsible Initiative, was a centre-right parliamentary party active in the Chamber of Deputies of Italy in 2011–2013. Launched on 20 January 2011, the group was supportive of Berlusconi IV Cabinet. A large majority of its members were elected in Southern Italy. Its counterpart in the Senate was National Cohesion, which was composed mainly of splinters from Future and Freedom.
On 23 March 2011 Francesco Saverio Romano, a group member, was appointed minister of Agriculture. On 5 May 2011 Silvio Berlusconi appointed three under-secretaries from PT/IR: Giampiero Catone (Environment), Bruno Cesario (Economy and Finances) and Catia Polidori (Economy and Finances).
The group included:
- The Populars of Italy Tomorrow (I Popolari di Italia Domani, PID)
- Popular Action (Azione Popolare, AP)
- Movement of National Responsibility (Movimento di Responsabilità Nazionale, MRN)
- Alliance of the Centre (Alleanza di Centro, AdC)
- Christian Democracy (Democrazia Cristiana, DC)
- 7 deputies of The People of Freedom (PdL) who joined the group for technical reasons:
- We the South (Noi Sud, NS)
The group originally included also 4 others deputies of We the South (NS): Elio Belcastro (who was appointed under-secretary of Environment by Berlusconi on 28 July 2007 in representation of IR/PT, see article), Arturo Iannaccone, Americo Porfidia and Lucio Sardelli (who left the party in the summer of 2011).
- A fifth deputy of PID, Calogero Mannino, who was also party president, refused to join the group. Mannino finally left the party in March (see article).
- Popular Action is composed of three former members of Future and Freedom who were decisive for Berlusconi IV Cabinet's survival on 14 December 2010.