The Populars of Italy Tomorrow
|Leader||Francesco Saverio Romano|
|Founded||28 September 2010|
|Split from||Union of the Centre|
|Headquarters||corso Vittorio Emanuele 229
|National affiliation||Popular Construction (since 2012)
Forza Italia (since 2013)
|Chamber of Deputies||
1 / 630(in Forza Italia)
0 / 315
PID was launched on 28 September 2010 by five splinter deputies (four from Sicily and one from Campania) of the Union of the Centre (UdC) led by Francesco Saverio Romano, UdC leader in Sicily. They dissented with the party's support to Raffaele Lombardo's fourth regional government and chose to vote in favour of Silvio Berlusconi in a vote of confidence on 29 September in the Chamber of Deputies.
It was a damaging split for the UDC in Sicily, the party's historical stronghold, as 7 regional deputies out of 10 chose to follow Romano and they were joined also by a splinter from the Movement for the Autonomies, Lombardo's party. With 8 deputies, PID are the fifth largest party in the Regional Assembly. Behind the scenes, the party was supported by Salvatore Cuffaro, senator and former President of Sicily, who was forced to leave politics in January 2011 due to a 7-year conviction for mafia-related crimes.
On 20 October 2010, in the Chamber of Deputies, PID formed a joint group with We the South (NS) led by Luciano Sardelli (NS). On 20 January 2011 PID was a founding component of Responsible Initiative, a centre-right group in the Chamber, but Calogero Mannino refused to join it.
In 2012 the PID formed Popular Construction along with Popular Action, the Christian Movement of Workers and the Extended Christian Pact. The new party ran in the Sicilian regional election of 2012, winning 5.9% of the votes and 4 regional deputies.
- Nadia Pietrafitta (29 September 2010). "I siciliani lasciano l'Udc". Iltempo. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Sicilia: Popolari per l'Italia, dubbi di legittimita' su Lombardo quater". Palermo Repubblica. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Ars, i cuffariani lasciano l'Udc nasce un nuovo gruppo, si chiama Pid". La Repubblica (in Italian). Palermo. 28 September 2010. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Index". QDS. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Deputazione PID". Ipopolariditaliadomani. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- ""Favorì la mafia", verdetto definitivo Cuffaro si costituisce a Rebibbia". Corriere della Sera. 23 January 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Agenzia Parlamentare per l'informazione politica ed economica". AgenParl. 20 October 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Nascono i Responsabili con 2 prestiti Pdl ma governo non ha maggioranza assoluta". Il Messaggero. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Ecco i 21 responsabili pronti a difendere Berlusconi. Così cambiano i giochi nelle commissioni decisive". Il Sole 24 ORE. 20 January 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Mannino, addio al Pid: "Nascerà movimento di ispirazione cattolica"". GDS. 14 March 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Ministeri del Governo Letta". Governo Italiano. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Chi Siamo". Cantiere Popolare. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Sicilia". Repubblica. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Il Pid-Cantiere Popolare si fonde con Forza Italia. Il senatore Ruvolo tra i firmatari del documento
- Forza Italia, i dirigenti del Pid aderiscono al partito di Berlusconi