- For the unincorporated community in Holmes County, see Richland, Holmes County, Mississippi.
|City of Richland|
|Motto: "Proud to call it home!"|
Location in Rankin County and the state of Mississippi
|contiguous United States of America|
|Incorporated||October 31, 1974|
|• Mayor||Mark S. Scarborough (I)|
|• Board of Aldermen||Richland Board of Aldermen|
|• Total||12.2 sq mi (31.7 km2)|
|• Land||12.2 sq mi (31.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||266 ft (81 m)|
|• Density||492.7/sq mi (190.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP code||39073, 39208, 39218, 39232|
|GNIS feature ID||0690674|
Richland is located at  According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.2 square miles (32 km2), of which 12.2 square miles (32 km2) is land and 0.04-square-mile (0.10 km2) (0.16%) is water.(32.229844, -90.159724).
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,027 people, 2,303 households, and 1,688 families residing in the city. The population density was 492.7 people per square mile (190.3/km²). There were 2,540 housing units at an average density of 207.6 per square mile (80.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 91.97% White, 5.28% African American, 0.08% Native American, 1.51% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.20% from other races, and 0.95% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.88% of the population.
There were 2,303 households out of which 37.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.8% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.7% were non-families. 21.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the city, the population was spread out with 27.3% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 33.6% from 25 to 44, 20.1% from 45 to 64, and 9.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 98.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $38,996, and the median income for a family was $44,800. Males had a median income of $32,377 versus $22,700 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,574. About 8.3% of families and 10.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.2% of those under age 18 and 19.8% of those age 65 or over.
The Mayor of Richland is Mark S. Scarborough, who is currently serving in his second term.
The three public schools in Richland are operated by the Rankin County School District.
- List of municipalities in Mississippi
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Rankin County, Mississippi
- "City of Jackson and City of Pearl v. Petitioners for Incorporation of the City of Richland". Supreme Court of Mississippi. 1975. Retrieved April 15, 2017 – via Leagle.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- General information