Richland Township, Defiance County, Ohio
|Richland Township, Defiance County, Ohio|
Location of Richland Township in Defiance County
|• Total||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Land||35.0 sq mi (90.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|Elevation||725 ft (221 m)|
|• Density||83/sq mi (32.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086038|
Richland Township is one of the twelve townships of Defiance County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,920 people in the township, 1,201 of whom lived in the city of Defiance, and 1,719 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Adams Township - north
- Napoleon Township, Henry County - northeast corner
- Flatrock Township, Henry County - east
- Pleasant Township, Henry County - southeast corner
- Highland Township - south
- Defiance Township - southwest
- Noble Township - west
- Tiffin Township - northwest
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- State Route 18, which travels from southeast to west through the southern half of the township
- State Route 281, which travels from east to west through the center of the township, and is concurrent with State Route 18 for a short time
- State Route 424, which travels along the north bank of the Maumee River through the center of the township
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Richland township, Defiance County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Richland township, Richland township, Defiance County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- History of Defiance County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County ; Its Townships, Towns, Etc. ; Military Record ; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men ; Farm Views ; Personal Reminiscences, Etc. Warner, Beers. 1883. p. 340.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 35. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.