Roger Watson (academic)
|Known for||Research on Nursing and Mokken scales|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
University of Sheffield
St George's Hospital
|Institutions||University of Hull|
Roger Watson (born 20 November 1955) is a British academic. He is professor of nursing at the University of Hull. He serves as editor-in-chief of the Journal of Advanced Nursing and editor of Nursing Open and is an editorial board member of the WikiJournal of Medicine. He holds visiting positions in Australia, Hong Kong, Ireland and Italy. He has served as a sub panel member of the 2008 UK Research Assessment Exercise and Research Excellence Framework. He was the founding chair of The Lancet Commission on Nursing and is a founding member of the Global Advisory Panel on the Future of Nursing.
Watson's clinical area is gerontological nursing with a special interest in feeding and nutritional difficulties of older people with dementia. His research into the alleviation of feeding difficulty in people with dementia led to the development of the "Edinburgh Feeding Evaluation in Dementia" scale. Watson is a proponent of the application of Mokken scaling in nursing research and has also contributed to the understanding of the general application of Mokken scaling and the influence of sample size on Mokken scaling parameters.
Awards and recognition
Watson is a fellow of the Royal College of Nursing (2009), the American Academy of Nursing (2007), the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (2014), the Royal Society of Biology (2001; formerly the Institute of Biology), a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (2001), A Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2007), A Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery ad eundum (2009) and the National Conference of University Professors (2018). In 2017 Watson was inducted into the Sigma Theta Tau International Researcher Hall of Fame. In 2017 Watson delivered the annual Elsie Stephenson Memorial Lecture at The University of Edinburgh.
Born to Margaret McCabe and William Morrison Watson  Watson is a former pupil of Banchory Academy, Watson is a haiku poet with entries in the Living Haiku Anthology and The Haiku Foundation's Haiku Registry. He is married to Deborah Watson (née Yould) and they have eight children.
- Watson, R; Stimpson, A; Topping, A; Porock, D (2002). "Clinical competence assessment in nursing: a systematic review of the literature". Journal of Advanced Nursing. 39 (5): 421–431. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2648.2002.02307.x.
- Deary, IJ; Watson, R; Hogston, R (2003). "A longitudinal cohort study of burnout and attrition in nursing students". Journal of Advanced Nursing. 43 (1): 71–81. PMID 12801398.
- Watson, R; Stimpson, A; Hostick, T (2004). "Prison health care: a review of the literature". International Journal of Nursing Studies. 41 (2): 119–28. PMID 14725776.
- "Professor Roger Watson". University of Hull. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Journal of Advanced Nursing". Journal of Advanced Nursing. doi:10.1111/(ISSN)1365-2648.
- "Nursing Open". Nursing Open. doi:10.1002/(ISSN)2054-1058.
- "WikiJournal of Medicine/Editors - Wikiversity". en.wikiversity.org.
- (Squiz), Western Sydney University - Root User. "Professor Roger Watson". www.westernsydney.edu.au. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "Honorary Faculty - People - School of Nursing". nursing.hku.hk.
- "Prof. Roger Watson BSc, PhD, RN - Royal College Surgeons in Ireland". www.rcsi.ie.
- Canavese, Claudio. "Università degli Studi di Genova - Incarichi professionali". unige.it.
- Dean E (2014) Lancet commission to tackle the poor perception of UK nursing Nursing Standard https://journals.rcni.com/doi/abs/10.7748/ns2014.01.28.21.10.s4
- "New panel seeks to give nursing 'global voice and vision'". Nursing Times. 2014-04-07. Retrieved 2016-12-19.
- Liu, W., Watson, R., & Lou, F. L. (2014). "The Edinburgh Feeding Evaluation in Dementia scale (EdFED): cross‐cultural validation of the simplified Chinese version in mainland China". Journal of Clinical Nursing. 23 (1–2): 45–53. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04250.x. PMID 23387397.
- Watson, Roger; Van Der Ark, L Andries; Lin, Li-Chan; Fieo, Robert; Deary, Ian J; Meijer, Rob R (2012). "Item response theory: How Mokken scaling can be used in clinical practice". Journal of Clinical Nursing. 21 (19pt20): 2736–2746. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03893.x. PMID 21883577.
- Watson, Roger; Wang, Wenru; Thompson, David R (29 October 2014). "Violations of local stochastic independence exaggerate scalability in Mokken scaling analysis of the Chinese Mandarin SF-36". Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. 12 (1): 149. doi:10.1186/s12955-014-0149-5. ISSN 1477-7525. PMC 4220047. PMID 25358430.
- Watson, Roger; Wang, Wenru; Thompson, David R.; Meijer, Rob R. (August 2014). "Investigating invariant item ordering in the Mental Health Inventory: An illustration of the use of different methods". Personality and Individual Differences. 66: 74–78. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2014.03.017. ISSN 0191-8869.
- Watson R, Egberink IJL, Kirke L, Tendeiro J, Doyle F (2018) What are the minimal sample size requirements for Mokken scaling? An empirical example with the Warwick- Edinburgh Mental Well-being Scale Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine 6: 203-213
- "RCN Fellowship and Honorary Fellowship Roll of Honour" (PDF). Royal College of Nursing. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Roger Watson - Profile". Main Site. American Academy of Nursing. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Kelly, J., ed. (2018). The Catholic Who's Who. Manchester, United Kingdom: Universe Media Group.
- "Stuck in a moment". 7 June 2018.
- "STTI Announces 2017 Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame Inductees". Sigma Theta Tau. Retrieved 2018-04-21.
- "Watson, Roger". The Living Haiku Anthology. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Roger Watson". Poet Profiles. The Haiku Foundation. Retrieved 2018-08-12.
- "Roger Watson - A-2969-2009". ResearcherID. Clarivate Analytics. Retrieved 2018-05-05.