Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian School
|Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian School|
|1615 North Alexandria Avenue
Los Angeles, United States 90027
|Principal||Dr. Alina Dorian|
Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian School (Armenian: Լոս Անջելեսի Ռոզ և Ալեքս Փիլիպոս ազգային վարժարան) was founded by Alex and Rose Pilibos in 1969. This school was first known as Hollywood Armenian School and is a K-12 school. Armenian language, history and religion classes are taught in Armenian, and the rest of the classes are taught in English. The school's current principal is Dr. Alina Dorian. The school is part of St. Garabed Armenian Apostolic Church.
- 1 Notable alumni
- 2 Academics 
- 3 Programs
- 4 Gallery
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- Serj Tankian, Daron Malakian and Shavo Odadjian of System of a Down attended the school at different times during the 1970s and '80s
- Sarah Leah Whitson, director of the Middle East and North Africa division of Human Rights Watch.
The Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian school, one of several academic institutions under the auspices of the Western Prelacy of the Armenian Apostolic Church of America, is a college-oriented school accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
The school offers advanced placement and honors courses, as well as courses certified by the Regents of the University of California. Students at Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian School are required to maintain a minimum academic standard (delineated below) in order to remain in the student body.
Incoming students from other institutions must fulfill the following requirements in order to be accepted to the middle and high school.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 for the last academic year at the former school.
- Satisfactory performances on a grade-level English language test administered by the school.
- No history of major disciplinary infractions. Probation Policy If, at the end of the semester, a student fails to meet any aspect of the criteria delineated above, he or she will be placed on academic probation during the following semester. The student’s probationary status will be fully explained to the parents. The student will not be readmitted to school, if, at the end of the school semester, he or she once again fails to achieve the minimum academic criteria required by the school and if retention or other alternatives are deemed inappropriate.
Pilibos is a member of CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) and has placed and won a number of league championships. The athletic department is continuously expanding and improving its athletic program and continues to strive for excellence.
Pilibos offers training and teams in basketball, soccer, volleyball, and track at the elementary, junior high, and high school levels. Our school participates with other Armenian schools in the annual KAHAM games, organized by Homenetmen and in various inter-school tournaments with other Armenian and non-Armenian schools.
Students in each grade take one music class, one performing arts class, and one visual arts class. Some of the various forms of art students are exposed to are:
- Script writing
- Art history
At the start of the 2012 – 2013 Academic Year, Pilibos aims to increase the presence and usage of technology in the classrooms to aid in the day to day lessons, more progressive and innovative projects, and collaborative work among students.
High School students organize and run clubs with the mentorship of a faculty member. They are responsible for drafting and implementing their club’s bylaws, agenda, and activities. With this kind of significant responsibility, the students strive and excel as leaders within the school and their community.
Some of the various clubs at Pilibos are:
- National Honor Society
- Student Council
- Table Tennis
Students at Pilibos are also involved in various academic competitions. Some of the various Academic Competitions our students participate in are:
The high school curriculum requires that students fulfill 100 hours of community service.
Students participate in various community service activities and organizations, such as:
- Vaghoohas Library Project
- Armenia Orphanage
- Counselor In Training
- Political/Election Offices
- Armenian National Committee of America
- Armenian Youth Federation
- "pilibos-header-new.jpg" (Archive). Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian School. Retrieved on July 4, 2014.
- Class of ’85 Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian School. Retrieved on September 1, 2014.
- Class of ’92 Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian School. Retrieved on September 1, 2014.
- Class of ’84 Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian School. Retrieved on September 1, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian school.|