SABIA-Mar (Brazil)SAC-E (Argentina)
|Operator||INPE / CONAE|
|Payload mass||680 kg (1,500 lb)|
|Dimensions||2 m (6 ft 7 in) ⌀ × 2.2 m (7 ft 3 in) height envelope|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||Planned: 2020|
|Band||S band and X band (Downlink only)|
The SABIA-Mar (Spanish: Satélites Argentino-Brasileños para Información Ambiental del Mar), originally called SAC-E by CONAE is a dual satellite joint Earth observation mission. The mission objective is to study the oceanic biosphere, its changes along time and how it is affected and reacts to human activity. It focuses on monitoring of ocean surfaces, especially studies of the ocean ecosystem, the carbon cycle, marine habitats, and mapping.
This collaboration between the Argentine (CONAE) and the Brazilian (AEB) space agencies was originally supposed to make two identical spacecraft with Argentina supplying the payload and Brazil the satellite bus. The satellites, SABIA-Mar A and SABIA-Mar B, were supposed to fly in 2017 and 2018, and be operated until 2021.
By 2016, CONAE announced that an agreement had been reached, where Argentina would make SABIA-Mar 1, and Brazil would make SABIA-Mar 2. The Argentine satellite was supposed to fly in 2020.
SABIA-Mar 1 will be designed and built by the Argentine technological company INVAP. They will act as prime contractor, integrator and will supply two instruments. It is expected to be launched in 2020, have a 5 year design life and fly on a Sun-synchronous orbit with a four day revisit frequency. It successfully passed PDR on April 2016 which marked the end of Phase B development and the project thus entered Phase C, Detailed Design.
SABIA-Mar 2 will be built in Brazil on the Multi Mission Platform the satellite bus developed for Amazônia-1. It will have a service module with a dry mass of 292 kg (644 lb) and a power budget of 304 Watts, and a payload module with a mass of 219 kg (483 lb) and a power budget of 260 Watts.
- Global House: multispectral camera CCD camera with 1.1 km resolution
- Regional Chamber: CCS multispectral camera with 200 m resolution
- SST camera
- Chamber of images to ground
- "SABIA-MAR-Phase A Final Report (SB-010400-IA-00100-A)" (PDF). CONAE. 2013-11-19. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- "Instrumentos" [Instruments] (in Spanish). CONAE. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- "CONAE National Space Program" (PDF). February 10, 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- "Plano Diretor 2011 - 2015" [General Plan 2011 - 2015] (PDF) (in Portuguese). INPE. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "The SIBIA_Mar Mission" (PDF). Ioccg.org. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Introducción" [Introduction] (in Spanish). CONAE. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- "SABIA-Mar" [SABIA-Mar] (in Spanish). INVAP. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- "Revisión Preliminar de Diseño (PDR) Proyecto SABIA-Mar" [SABIA-Mar passes Preliminary Design Review (PDR)] (in Spanish). CONAE. April 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-22.