In India, the surname is found among Gakhars, Janjuas and other Rajput communities. People of Dhund, Dhanial, Kalya and Satti tribes also use the surname. In Ludhiana region, it is used by Grewal Jat people. A tribe of Jats, who are an offshoot of the Sial tribe, also use this surname. In the Kabirwala region, it is used by another Jat tribe.
In Bihar, Jharkhand people with Sahu or Gupta surnames belonging to the Saundik, Rauniyar, Teli caste have been categorized as Other Backward Classes (OBCs).[verification needed]. The Sahu people in Jharkhand mostly doing Business and JOB.
The Sahu people in Maharashtra belong to the Teli caste. They migrated from Bundelkhand to mainly Vidarbha region to escape some war. They trace their origin to Karmabai who lived in the Jagannath Temple in Puri. The Sahu people of Maharashtra have been classified among Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
In Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, Sahus belong to the Vaishnavite Brahmin caste and belongs to Oriya speaking community. Some of these people have migrated to coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh.
There are also people with the surname Sahu belonging to the Teli caste in Chhattisgarh and Odisha. They have been categorised as OBCs. There are also some people using the surname who belong to the Chasa caste.
List of people with the surname Sahu (or Sahoo)
- Archita Sahu (born 1990), actress from Odisha, India
- Chandra Sekhar Sahu (born 1950), politician from Odisha, India
- Kanak Manjari Sahoo (born 1957), writer and translator from Odisha, India
- Kishore Sahu (1915–1980), film actor and director from Madhya Pradesh, India
- Laxminarayan Sahu (1890-1963), writer and politician from Odisha, India
- Nandini Sahu (born 1973), writer and critic in English literature from Odisha, India
- Nattal Sahu (c. 1132), merchant prince who lived during the reign of the Tomara kings near Delhi
- Tarachand Sahu (1947-2012), politician from Chhattisgarh, India
- Gazi Saiyyed Salar Sahu (c. 11th century), a commander in the army of Mahmud of Ghazni
- Sarojini Sahoo (born 1956), writer from Odisha, India
- Sudarshan Sahoo (born 1939), sculptor from Odisha, India
- Sunil Sahu, professor in the Department of Political Science at the DePauw University
- Pardeep Sahu (born 1985), Cricketer , Haryana & Kings XI Punjab
- Chandu Lal Sahu, politician, represents Mahasamund, Chhattisgarh
- Ibbetson; Maclagan (1 December 1996). Glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North West Frontier Province. Asian Educational Services. p. 345. ISBN 978-81-206-0505-3.
- B. V. Bhanu (2004). People of India: Maharashtra. Popular Prakashan. p. 1813. ISBN 978-81-7991-102-0. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Central List of OBCs. State : Gujarat". National Commission for Backward Classes. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Central List of OBCs. State : Bihar".
- "Central List of OBCs. State: Maharashtra". National Commission for Backward Classes. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Central List of OBCs. State: Odisha". National Commission for Backward Classes. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Census of India, 1961: Orissa. Office of the Registrar General. 1961. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
The people belonging to Chasa caste are divided into two sub-groups, i.e., Bisi and Sahu.
|This page lists people with the surname Sahu. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|