Salem Township, Tuscarawas County, Ohio
|Salem Township, Tuscarawas County, Ohio|
A footbridge on Buckhorn Creek Trail south of Wolf
Location of Salem Township in Tuscarawas County
|• Total||34.1 sq mi (88.4 km2)|
|• Land||33.8 sq mi (87.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,030 ft (314 m)|
|• Density||49.4/sq mi (19.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087064|
Salem Township is one of the twenty-two townships of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,673 people in the township, 1,121 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jefferson Township - north
- Clay Township - east
- Washington Township - southeast
- Oxford Township - south
- Oxford Township, Coshocton County - southwest corner
- Adams Township, Coshocton County - west
The village of Port Washington is located in eastern Salem Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Donald Meek, Ray Stocker, and Robert Thornton, and the fiscal officer is Patty Arth.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio — Engineer: Joseph S. Bachman. Tuscarawas County. Accessed 2007-06-01.