|Mark Lever, CEO|
SaltWire Network is a Canadian newspaper publishing company, which owns and publishes 35 daily and weekly newspapers in Atlantic Canada. The company was formed in 2017, when Halifax's independently-owned The Chronicle Herald acquired 27 newspapers in the region from Transcontinental Media. Combined with the Chronicle Herald's existing community newspaper holdings, the new company will publish 35 titles overall.
The exact purchase price was not disclosed, although business analysts estimated that the publications were worth approximately $30 million in total.
The transaction was criticized by a number of analysts, as it occurred in the middle of a strike by Chronicle Herald employees during which the paper had claimed declining revenues as its reason for demanding major concessions including wage reductions, reduced pension contributions and the removal of several staff divisions from the bargaining unit.
- Sackville Tribune Post (Sackville)
Newfoundland and Labrador
- The Advertiser (Grand Falls-Windsor)
- The Aurora (Labrador City)
- The Beacon (Gander)
- The Compass (Carbonear)
- The Gulf News (Channel-Port aux Basques)
- The Labradorian (Happy Valley-Goose Bay)
- The Northern Pen (St. Anthony)
- The Nor'wester (Springdale)
- The Packet (Clarenville)
- The Pilot (Lewisporte)
- The Southern Gazette (Marystown)
- The Telegram (St. John's)
- The Western Star (Corner Brook)
- Amherst News (Amherst)
- Annapolis Valley Register (Windsor)
- Cape Breton Post (Sydney)
- The Casket (Antigonish)
- The Chronicle Herald (Halifax)
- The Citizen Record (Amherst)
- Colchester Weekly News (Truro)
- The News (New Glasgow)
- Nova News Now (Kentville)
- The Queens County Advance (Liverpool)
- The Tri-County Extra (Yarmouth)
- The Tri-County Vanguard (Yarmouth)
- Truro Daily News (Truro)
- Valley Journal Advertiser (Windsor)
Prince Edward Island
- "How SaltWire became the largest media group in Atlantic Canada". Global News, April 13, 2017.
- "Halifax Chronicle Herald buys Transcontinental papers in Atlantic Canada". Toronto Star, April 13, 2017.
- "Big deal a shocker: Herald’s purchase of Transcontinental assets surprises observers". The Chronicle Herald, April 13, 2017.
- "Chronicle Herald buys all Atlantic Canadian Transcontinental papers". CBC News Nova Scotia, April 13, 2017.
- "Labour minister defends article in striking Chronicle Herald". CBC News Nova Scotia, November 16, 2016.
- "SaltWire launching metered paywall Monday | Cape Breton Post". Cape Breton Post. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
|This article about a Canadian corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|