Samsung Galaxy Home
|Product family||Galaxy series|
|Sound||3 mid-range and high-range speakers tuned by AKG, subwoofer, 8 far-field microphones|
|Input||Touch screen, voice commands via Bixby|
|Connectivity||WiFi and Bluetooth|
The Wall Street Journal reported on July 2017 that a Bixby smart-speaker, codenamed Vega, was under development. It was later confirmed by Dong-Jin Koh, CEO of Samsung Electronics, on August 2017.
The Galaxy Home was revealed at the Samsung Unpacked event on August 9 2018, with more information promised during the Samsung Developer Conference in November.
The Galaxy Home has a vase shape and features black cloth material with a mesh design, supported by 3 metal tripod legs. The top surface has a glass touch interface with music and volume controls, and also has an illuminated ring and AKG logo. There are 3 mid-range and high-range speakers and a subwoofer, as well as 8 far-field microphones for voice commands.
The speaker features the Bixby voice assistant and can be activated by saying “Hi Bixby”. Its functionality is similar to that found on mobile devices such as the Note 9. The Galaxy Home can adjust its sound to adapt to its environment and also features Sound Steer, a Bixby voice command that allows the device to identify the location of the user in the room and better direct sound.
The speaker features SmartThings Hub integration, allowing it to control other smart home appliances compatible with the Samsung SmartThings platform. Spotify is the default music player, and can be controlled via voice. Audio playback can be also switched between Samsung home appliances.
- "Samsung Galaxy Home". PCMag UK. 2018-08-09. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung announces Galaxy Home speaker". NewsComAu. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung Galaxy Home: first look". TechRadar. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- Martin, Timothy W. (2017-07-04). "Samsung Is Developing a Bixby-Powered Smart Speaker". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- Kharpal, Arjun (2017-08-23). "Samsung confirms it's working on an Amazon Echo competitor". CNBC. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung Galaxy Home: The surprise Bixby-enabled smart speaker unveiled at Unpacked 2018". Alphr. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- SamMobile. "Samsung Galaxy Home speaker: A closer look". SamMobile. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung's Galaxy Home is a Bixby-powered smart speaker with legs". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung Teases Bixby-Powered Galaxy Home Smart Speaker". Tom's Guide. 2018-08-09. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung's first Bixby smart speaker is the Galaxy Home". Android Central. 2018-08-09. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung unveils Galaxy Home smart speaker with Bixby". VentureBeat. 2018-08-09. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung Galaxy Home smart speakers powered by Bixby announced | Gadgets Now". Gadget Now. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung teases Galaxy Home smart speaker w/ Bixby and SmartThings". 9to5Google. 2018-08-09. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- Haselton, Todd (2018-08-09). "Spotify jumps on Samsung partnership news". CNBC. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Galaxy Home is Samsung's HomePod competitor". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung announces Galaxy Home speaker with Bixby smart assistant". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Samsung's smart home devices can pick up Spotify streams from your phone". Engadget. Retrieved 2018-08-11.