Bixby (virtual assistant)
|Initial release||21 April 2017|
|Available in||English (US English), English (Uk English), French, Korean, Chinese (China), German, Spanish, Italian|
|Type||Intelligent personal assistant|
On 20 March 2017, Samsung announced the voice-powered digital assistant named "Bixby". Bixby was introduced alongside the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+, as well as the Samsung Galaxy Tab A during the Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2017 event, which was held on 29 March 2017. Samsung officially unveiled Bixby a week before launch but it only made its first appearance during the event. Bixby can also be sideloaded on older Galaxy devices running Android Nougat.
In May 2017, Samsung announced that Bixby would be coming to its line of Family Hub 2.0 refrigerators, making it the first non-mobile product to include the virtual assistant.
In October 2017, Samsung announced the release of Bixby 2.0 during its annual developer conference in San Francisco. The new version is set to be rolled out across the company’s line of connected products, including smartphones, TVs and refrigerators. Also, third parties will be allowed to develop applications for Bixby using the Samsung Developer Kit.
Bixby comes with three parts, known as "Bixby Voice," "Bixby Vision" and "Bixby Home".
"Bixby Voice" is the name for the method of activating Bixby by calling it or doing a long press of the Bixby Button located below the volume rocker. A while before the phone's release, the Bixby Button was reprogrammable and could be set to open other applications or assistants, such as Google Assistant. However, near the phone's release this ability was removed with a firmware update, but can be remapped using third party apps. "Bixby Vision" is an augmented reality camera that can identify objects in real time and potentially offer the user to purchase them online, translate text, read QR codes, and recognize landmarks. "Bixby Home" is a vertically scrolling list of information that Bixby can interact with,[clarification needed] for example, weather, fitness activity, and buttons for controlling their smart home gadgets.
At the beginning Bixby supported three languages: English, Korean and Chinese. It also supports contextual search and visual search.
Language and country availability
Samsung reported that Bixby would not be operational on the US version of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ when the devices were first shipped to customers on 21 April 2017. Samsung stated that the key features of Bixby, including Vision, Home and Reminder, would be available with the global launch of the smartphones. Bixby Voice was intended to be made available in the US on the Galaxy S8 and S8+ later that spring. However, the release of the English version was postponed as Samsung had problems getting Bixby to fully understand the language.
As of April 2018, Bixby is available in over 195 countries, but only in Korean, English (US only), and Chinese (Mandarin). The Chinese version of Bixby is only available on devices officially sold in Mainland China. Bixby Korean was launched on May 1, 2017 (KST).
On 20 February 2019 Samsung announced the addition of further languages: English (British), German, Italian and Spanish (Spain). 
Flagship smartphones and tablets
- Samsung Galaxy S10 (including S10+, S10e and S10 5G)
- Samsung Galaxy S9 (including S9+)
- Samsung Galaxy S8 (including S8+)
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
- Samsung Galaxy S7 (including S7 Edge with Bixby Home and Reminder Only Through APK; S Voice used instead)
- Samsung Galaxy S6 (including S6 Edge with Bixby Home and Reminder Only Through APK; S Voice used instead)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (Bixby 2.0)
- Samsung Galaxy Note Fan Edition (Bixby Home, Reminder and Vision only (Vision is available on Android Oreo); S Voice used instead)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (including Note 10+, Note 10 5G and Note 10+ 5G)
Mid-range smartphones and tablets
- Samsung Galaxy A80 (Bixby Home, Voice, Vision, Reminder and Routines)
- Samsung Galaxy A70 (Bixby Home, Voice, Vision and Reminder)
- Samsung Galaxy A50 (Bixby Home, Voice, Vision, Reminder and Routines)
- Samsung Galaxy A30 (Bixby Home and Reminder)
- Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) (including A8+; Bixby Home, Reminder and Vision only)
- Samsung Galaxy A8 Star (2018)
- Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) (Bixby Home, Reminder and Voice only)
- Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018)
- Samsung Galaxy A6/A6+ (Bixby Home and Vision)
- Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) (available to users in South Korea only; Bixby Home and Reminder only)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2017) (Bixby Home and Reminder only)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (2018) (Bixby Home, Reminder and Vision)
- Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) (Bixby Home, Reminder Only Through APK)
- Samsung Galaxy J5 (2016) (Bixby Home, Reminder Only Through APK)
- Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016) (Bixby Home, Reminder Only Through APK)
- Samsung Galaxy J3 (2017) (Bixby Home, Reminder Only Through APK)
- Samsung Galaxy J4 (2018) (Bixby Home)
- Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) (Bixby Home, Reminder Only Through APK)
- Samsung Galaxy J7 (2017) (Home, Reminder Only Through APK)
- Samsung Galaxy J7+ (2017)
- Samsung Galaxy J6 (2018)
- Samsung Galaxy J6+ (2018)
- Samsung Galaxy C8 (Bixby Home, Reminder and Bixby Vision only)
- Alisa (virtual assistant)
- Amazon Alexa
- BlackBerry Assistant
- Clova (virtual assistant)
- Microsoft Cortana
- True Knowledge Evi
- Google Assistant
- Samsung S Voice
- Apple Siri
- Samsung Viv
- Seo Yu-ri
- "Bixby Voice APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- "Bixby Global Action APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. August 10, 2018. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- "Bixby Home APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "Bixby service APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. May 26, 2018. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- "Bixby Vision APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 2019-09-05.
- "Bixby voice input APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. May 26, 2018. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- ""Bixby" voice wake-up APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- "Bixby". Samsung. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Bixby : A New Way to Interact with Your Phone". SAMSUNG Newsroom. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Pham, Sherisse (21 March 2017). "Samsung's new AI assistant will take on Siri and Alexa". CNNMoney. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Baig, Edward (20 March 2017). "Samsung promises its Galaxy S8 Bixby assistant will be 'fundamentally different'". USA Today. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Everything Samsung announced at its Unpacked 2017 launch event". VentureBeat. 2017-03-29. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- Schoon, Ben (3 April 2017). "Here's how to install Bixby and the Galaxy S8's new launcher on other Samsung devices". 9to5Google. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- Scott Adam Gordon (10 February 2017). "Galaxy S8's Bixby assistant to be based on S-Voice, not Viv Labs tech". Android Authority. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Vincent, James (10 February 2017). "So, what is Samsung's Bixby AI assistant really made of?". The Verge. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Carman, Ashley (15 May 2017). "Samsung's Bixby assistant is coming to smart fridges". The Verge. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- Heater, Brian. "Bixby 2.0 takes center stage at Samsung's Developer Conference". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- Dolcourt, Jessica (2017-03-29). "Samsung Galaxy S8's Bixby assistant needs to grow up fast". CNET. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- Karner, Jen (2017-03-29). "What is Bixby and is it like Google Assistant?". Android Central. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- Bohn, Dieter (2017-03-29). "Three things we know Samsung's new assistant can do on the Galaxy S8". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Bixby : Samsung Virtual Assistant [ Full Guide ]". TTGADGET - Tips and Tutorials for Gadget. 2017-03-23. Archived from the original on 2017-08-27. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "Samsung Galaxy S8 hits launch snag with Bixby voice assistant". CNET. 2017-04-11. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Whitwam, Ryan (2017-05-31). "WSJ: Samsung's English-language Bixby rollout delayed because English is hard". Android Police. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Kharpal, Arjun (22 August 2017). "Samsung Bixby expands to over 200 countries in battle with Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri". CNBC. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- Mu-Hyun, Cho (2017-05-01). "Samsung launches Galaxy S8 Bixby voice command in Korea". ZDNet. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Et la lumière fut : Bixby prend enfin en charge la langue française… en version bêta". February 25, 2019.
- "Bixby est disponible en français sur le Galaxy Note 9, enfin !". February 25, 2019.
- "Samsung Extends Global Reach of Bixby, Launches Support for New European Languages". Samsung US Newsroom. 2019-02-20. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- Rutnik, Mitja (2017-07-12). "The Galaxy A7 (2017) features Bixby in South Korea". Android Authority. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "User manual confirms Bixby for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2017)". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Ingraham, Nathan (9 August 2018). "Does Samsung's Galaxy Home stand a chance?". Engadget. Oath Inc. Retrieved 9 August 2018.