|Original author(s)||Samsung Electronics|
|Initial release||21 April 2017|
|Operating system||Android (7.0 "Nougat" and later) |
|Available in||English (American, British, and Indian), French, Korean, Chinese (China), German, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese (Brazilian Portuguese)|
|Type||Intelligent personal assistant|
Bixby is a virtual assistant developed by Samsung Electronics. It runs on various Samsung branded appliances, primarily mobile devices but also on some refrigerators Bixby was launched in 2017, replacing the previous S Voice assistant.
On 20 March 2017, Samsung announced the voice-powered digital assistant named "Bixby". Bixby was introduced alongside the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+, as well as the Samsung Galaxy Tab A during the Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2017 event, which was held on 29 March 2017. Samsung officially unveiled Bixby a week before launch but it only made its first appearance during the event. Bixby can also be sideloaded on older Galaxy devices running Android Nougat.
In October 2017, Samsung announced the release of Bixby 2.0 during its annual developer conference in San Francisco. The then-new version was rolled out across the company's line of connected products, including smartphones, TVs, and refrigerators. Also, third parties are allowed to develop applications for Bixby using the Samsung Developer Kit.
In June 2021, screenshots surfaced for a replacement to Bixby. The three-dimensional virtual assistant, Sam, was popular on social media though it was unclear whether Samsung devices would include full voice and virtual assistance.
Bixby comes in three parts, known as "Bixby Voice", "Bixby Vision", "Bixby Home" (which has been recently replaced with "Samsung Free" in the latest One UI software update), which Samsung had recently started developing.
"Bixby Voice" is the name for the method of activating Bixby by calling it or doing a long press of the Bixby Button, located below the volume rocker. A while before the phone's release, the Bixby Button was reprogrammable and could be set to open other applications or assistants, such as Google Assistant. However, near the phone's release, this ability was removed with a firmware update but can be remapped using third-party apps. "Bixby Vision" is an augmented reality camera that can identify objects in real-time and potentially offer the user to purchase them online, translate text, read QR codes, and recognize landmarks. "Bixby Home" is a vertically scrolling list of information that Bixby can interact with,[clarification needed] for example weather, fitness activity and buttons for controlling their smart home gadgets. "Bixby Touch" makes recommendations based on intelligent recognition. You can easily access services such as translation, online shopping, and media by touching the screen. This app is still in its development period and hasn't been publicly released yet. Of course,[editorializing] its APK has been publicly leaked and can be installed and used with some workaround.
At the beginning Bixby supported three languages: English, Korean and Chinese. It also supports contextual search and visual search.
You can use Bixby to text, get tailored information about the weather, reminders of meetings, news articles, and so on. Also it learns more about what it sees with the camera, and complete actions. It can learn individual voices, so it can personalize its answers.
Language and country availability
Samsung reported that Bixby would not be operational on the US version of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ when the devices were first shipped to customers on 21 April 2017. Samsung stated that the key features of Bixby, including Vision, Home and Reminder, would be available with the global launch of the smartphones. Bixby Voice was intended to be made available in the US on the Galaxy S8 and S8+ later that spring. However, the release of the English version was postponed as Samsung had problems getting Bixby to fully understand the language.
As of April 2018, Bixby is available in over 195 countries, but only in Korean, English (US only), and Chinese (Mandarin). The Chinese version of Bixby is only available on devices officially sold in Mainland China. Bixby Korean was launched on 1 May 2017 (KST).
On 20 February 2019, Samsung announced the addition of further languages: English (British), German, Italian and Spanish (Spain).
On 22 February 2020, Samsung announced the addition of Portuguese (Brazil), for Galaxy S10 & Note10, in Beta, and later for other models.
Flagship smartphones and tablets
- Samsung Galaxy S7 (including S7 Edge and S7 Active)
- Samsung Galaxy S8 (including S8+ and S8 Active)
- Samsung Galaxy S9 (including S9+)
- Samsung Galaxy S10 (including S10+, S10e, S10 5G and S10 Lite)
- Samsung Galaxy S20 (including S20+, S20 Ultra, and S20 FE)
- Samsung Galaxy S21 (including S21+ and S21 Ultra, and S21 FE)
- Samsung Galaxy S22 (including S22+ and S22 Ultra)
Galaxy Tab S
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (including Tab S6 Lite)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 (including Tab S7+)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (including Tab S8+ and Tab S8 Ultra)
- Samsung Galaxy Note FE (Bixby Home, Reminder and Vision only [Vision available on Android Oreo]; S Voice used instead)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (including Note 10+, Note 10 5G, Note 10+ 5G and Note 10 Lite)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 (including Note 20 Ultra, Note 20 5G and Note 20 Ultra 5G)
Galaxy Fold / Z
- Samsung Galaxy Fold
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
Mid-range smartphones and tablets
- Samsung Galaxy A6/A6+ (Bixby Home, Reminder and Vision)
- Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) (available to users in South Korea only; Bixby Home and Reminder only)
- Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) (Bixby Home, Reminder and Vision only)
- Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) (including A8 Star; Bixby Home, Reminder and Vision only; S Voice used instead)
- Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018)
- Samsung Galaxy A20 (Bixby Home and Service)
- Samsung Galaxy A21s
- Samsung Galaxy A30s (Bixby Home, Vision, Reminder and Routines)
- Samsung Galaxy A40 (Bixby Home and Reminder)
- Samsung Galaxy A41 (Bixby Home, Vision, Routines and Reminder)
- Samsung Galaxy A50 (Bixby Home, Voice, Vision, Reminder and Routines)
- Samsung Galaxy A50s (Bixby Home, Voice, Vision, Reminder and Routines)
- Samsung Galaxy A51
- Samsung Galaxy A52
- Samsung Galaxy A52s
- Samsung Galaxy A53 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A70 (Bixby Home, Voice, Vision and Reminder)
- Samsung Galaxy A70s (Bixby Home, Voice, Vision and Reminder)
- Samsung Galaxy A71
- Samsung Galaxy A72
- Samsung Galaxy A73 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A80 (Bixby Home, Voice, Vision, Reminder and Routines)
- Samsung Galaxy A73 5G
Galaxy Tab A
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) (Bixby Home)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2017) (Bixby Home and Reminder only)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (2018) (Bixby Home, Reminder and Vision)
- Samsung Galaxy J4 (2018) (Bixby Home)
- Samsung Galaxy J7+ (2017)
- Samsung Galaxy J6 (2018)
- Samsung Galaxy J6+ (2018)
- Samsung Galaxy C8 (Bixby Home, Reminder and Bixby Vision only)
- "Bixby Voice APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- "Bixby Global Action APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. 10 August 2018. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Bixby Home APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Bixby Service APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- "Bixby Vision APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Bixby voice input APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. 26 May 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- ""Bixby" voice wake-up APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Mark Tucker (26 October 2019). "Bixby Learnings from an Alexa Developer". Voicebot.ai. Voicebot.ai. Retrieved 27 February 2022.
- "Bixby". Samsung. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Carman, Ashley (15 May 2017). "Samsung's Bixby assistant is coming to smart fridges". The Verge. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- Scott Adam Gordon (10 February 2017). "Galaxy S8's Bixby assistant to be based on S-Voice, not Viv Labs tech". Android Authority. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Vincent, James (10 February 2017). "So, what is Samsung's Bixby AI assistant really made of?". The Verge. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- "Hi Galaxy, Samsung S Voice to be discontinued on June 1". GSMArena.com.
- "Bixby : A New Way to Interact with Your Phone". SAMSUNG Newsroom. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Pham, Sherisse (21 March 2018). "Samsung's new AI assistant will take on Siri and Alexa". CNNMoney. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- Baig, Edward (20 March 2017). "Samsung promises its Galaxy S8 Bixby assistant will be 'fundamentally different'". USA Today. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- "Everything Samsung announced at its Unpacked 2017 launch event". VentureBeat. 29 March 2018. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Schoon, Ben (3 April 2018). "Here's how to install Bixby and the Galaxy S8's new launcher on other Samsung devices". 9to5Google. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- Heater, Brian. "Bixby 2.0 takes center stage at Samsung's Developer Conference". TechCrunch. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- Peters, Megan (1 June 2021). "Samsung's Alleged Anime Assistant Is Taking Over the Internet". Comicbook.com. CB. Retrieved 2 June 2021.
- Finn, John (1 June 2021). "Samsung's Sam: Is The Virtual Mobile Assistant Real?". Screenrant.com. Screen Rant. Retrieved 2 June 2021.
- Dolcourt, Jessica (29 March 2017). "Samsung Galaxy S8's Bixby assistant needs to grow up fast". CNET. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Karner, Jen (29 March 2017). "What is Bixby and is it like Google Assistant?". Android Central. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Bohn, Dieter (29 March 2017). "Three things we know Samsung's new assistant can do on the Galaxy S8". The Verge. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- "Bixby : Samsung Virtual Assistant [ Full Guide ]". TTGADGET - Tips and Tutorials for Gadget. 23 March 2017. Archived from the original on 27 August 2017. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- "What is bixby in samsung a52?". Ask Sawal. Retrieved 12 December 2022.
- "Samsung Galaxy S8 hits launch snag with Bixby voice assistant". CNET. 11 April 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- Whitwam, Ryan (31 May 2017). "WSJ: Samsung's English-language Bixby rollout delayed because English is hard". Android Police. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- Kharpal, Arjun (22 August 2017). "Samsung Bixby expands to over 200 countries in battle with Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri". CNBC. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- Mu-Hyun, Cho (1 May 2017). "Samsung launches Galaxy S8 Bixby voice command in Korea". ZDNet. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- "Et la lumière fut : Bixby prend enfin en charge la langue française… en version bêta" (published 25 February 2019). 13 December 2018.
- "Bixby est disponible en français sur le Galaxy Note 9, enfin !" (published 25 February 2019). 12 December 2018.
- "Samsung Extends Global Reach of Bixby, Launches Support for New European Languages". Samsung US Newsroom. 20 February 2019. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Rutnik, Mitja (12 July 2017). "The Galaxy A7 (2017) features Bixby in South Korea". Android Authority. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- "User manual confirms Bixby for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2017)". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- Ingraham, Nathan (9 August 2018). "Does Samsung's Galaxy Home stand a chance?". Engadget. Oath Inc. Retrieved 9 August 2018.