|Samvidhaan: The Making of the Constitution of India|
|Created by||Rajya Sabha TV|
|Written by||Shama Zaidi and Atul Tiwari|
|Directed by||Shyam Benegal|
|Narrated by||Swara Bhaskar|
|Original language(s)||Hindi, English|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Producer(s)||For Rajya Sabha TV by Shyam Benegal Sahyadri Films|
|Running time||52 minutes|
|Original release||2 March 2014– 4 May 2014|
Samvidhaan: The Making of the Constitution of India is a ten-part television mini-series based on the making of the Indian Constitution, directed by Shyam Benegal. The show premiered on 2 March 2014 on Rajya Sabha TV, with an episode scheduled to air every Sunday morning. The series can be viewed on YouTube on Rajya Sabha TV's channel.
Shama Zaidi and Atul Tiwari are writers of the series. Zaidi said that it took her six months to write the script. The material came from debates, committee meetings and biographies of Jawaharlal Nehru and Mahatma Gandhi. Many of the famous speeches of India's freedom fighters figure in the series. Swara Bhaskar has hosted and narrated the show. The series was shot in Film City, Mumbai and recreates the debates that took place before the drafting of the Constitution of India. Dayal Nihalani is the associate director of the mini-series. For the series, a replica of the Central Hall of Parliament during the time of the Constituent Assembly was set up.
The first look of Samvidhaan was unveiled on 24 September 2013. The first look was officially launched on 20 February 2014, the pen-ultimate day of 15th Lok Sabha by President Pranab Mukherjee in Parliament House, New Delhi. Music is composed by Shantanu Moitra.
|Episode No.||Episode Name|
|1||The First Step: Cabinet Mission To Objectives Resolution|
|2||Independence: A Divided Legacy|
|3||Independent India: Righting Fundamental Wrongs with Fundamental Rights|
|4||People's Rights, Principles of Governance and Duties|
|5||Strengthening The Weak: Minority, Women and Backward Rights|
|6||Whose Land Is It?: Land Reforms And Acquisition|
|7||Link Language: Hindi Or Hindustani?|
|8||Federalism: Linking The States And The Centre|
|9||Three Pillars: Executive, Legislature, Judiciary|
|10||From Preamble to the Final Draft and beyond|
- Sachin Khedekar as Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
- Dalip Tahilramani as Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru
- Utkarsh Majumdar as Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Tom Alter as Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
- Ila Arun as Hansa Mehta
- Amit Behl as C. Rajagopalachari
- K. K. Raina as Dr. K. M. Munshi
- Rajendra Gupta as Dr. Rajendra Prasad
- Aanjjan Srivastav as Pandit Balkrishna Sharma
- Mohit Chauhan as Brajeshwar Prasad
- Suzanne Bernert as a journalist
- Narendra Jha as Muhammed Ali Jinnah
- Divya Dutta as Purnima Banerjee
- Rajeshwari Sachdev as Rajkumari Amrit Kaur
- Rajit Kapur as Alladi Krishnaswamy Iyer
- Harish Patel as M. A. Ayyangar
- Imran Hasnee as Nawab of Bhopal Hamidullah Khan
- Kenneth Desai as Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee
- Atul Tiwari as Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant
- Deepika Amin as Renuka Ray
- Shiv Kumar Subramaniam as N. Gopalaswami Ayyangar
- Rahul Singh as Acharya J. B. Kripalani
- Paresh Ganatra as K. T. Shah
- Kanupriya Shankar Pandit as Sucheta Kriplani
- Akash Khurana as Rohini Kumar Chaudhury
- Ravi Jhankal as Seth Govind Das
- Salim Ghouse as V. I. Munswamy Pillay
- Saurabh Dubey as Mahavir Tyagi
- Vijay Kashyap as B. Pocker Sahib Bahadur
- Himani Shivpuri as Begum Aizaz Rasul
- Lalit Mohan Tiwari as Shibban Lal Saxena
- Neeraj Kabi as Mahatma Gandhi
- Natarajan Balakrishnan as K. Hanumanthaiah
- Denzil Smith as the Auctioneer
- "Samvidhaan: Shyam Benegal's TV series on Indian constitution". Ibnlive.in.com. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Shyam Benegal: Samvidhaan not just for present generation | NDTV Movies.com". Movies.ndtv.com. 2014-01-10. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Jan 29, 2014 - Pramita Bose (2014-01-29). "Benegal’s magic all set to mesmerise audience on TV". The Asian Age. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Making Samvidhaan wasn't easy: Shyam Benegal". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "'Samvidhaan' not just for present generation: Shyam Benegal". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2014-01-11. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "The making of the making of the Constitution". The Telegraph. 20 October 2013. Archived from the original on 20 May 2014. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Swara Bhaskar anchors Shyam Benegal's Samvidhaan". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2014-01-08. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Swara Bhaskar and Shyam Benegal on sets of Samvidhaan
- "Anchoring 'Samvidhan' makes Swara proud to be Indian". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Samvidhaan shot within the Parliament of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Samvidhaan: Shyam Benegal's TV series on Indian constitution". Mumbai Mirror. 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Hon'ble President Pranab Mukherjee to launch serial Samvidhaan". Indiatvnews.com. 2014-02-18. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- To be felicitated by Prime Minister was a cherished moment: Divya Dutta
- "Felicitation by PM makes Divya Dutta happy". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Sangeetha Devi Dundoo (2013-08-03). "The monk and the producer". The Hindu. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Suzanne Bernert & Narendra Jha in Samvidhaan". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "I am a great supporter of gay rights: Shyam Benegal". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2014-01-28. Retrieved 2014-02-23.