Haines at the Charleston Air Force Base in 2013
Sara Hilary Haines
September 18, 1977
Newton, Iowa, U.S.
|Alma mater||Smith College|
|Occupation||Television host, journalist|
|Known for||The View, Good Morning America, Today|
|Spouse(s)||Max Shifrin (m. 2014)|
Sara Hilary Haines (born September 18, 1977) is an American television host and journalist, known for her work as a correspondent on Today, ABC News, and Good Morning America. Haines was a co-host of The View during its 20th and 21st seasons. Haines is a co-anchor of daytime talk show Strahan, Sara and Keke on ABC alongside Michael Strahan and Keke Palmer.
Early life and education
Haines was born in Newton, Iowa, and raised there with her three siblings. She attended Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts, where she received a Bachelor of Arts degree in government in 2000. At Smith, Haines played basketball and volleyball.
Haines began her career in the NBC Page Program. After nine months in the program, she became the production coordinator for NBC's Today at Rockefeller Center in 2002. In 2009, Haines became the show's fourth-hour contributing correspondent until departing in 2013.
After multiple appearances as a guest co-host, Haines joined The View as a permanent co-host in the show's 20th season, which premiered on September 6, 2016. On July 23, 2018, ABC announced that she would not return to The View for season 22 and that she would co-host GMA Day, later renamed Strahan and Sara, with Michael Strahan. Haines made her final appearance as a co-host during the 22nd season's penultimate episode on August 2.
Haines's inaugural appearance as co-host of GMA Day was the series premiere on September 10, 2018. In August 2019, the program was renamed Strahan, Sara and Keke, with the addition of Keke Palmer as a third co-host.
On November 22, 2014, Haines married attorney Max Shifrin in The Bahamas. The couple resides in Brooklyn. Their first child, Alec Richard, was born in March 2016. Their second, Sandra Grace, was born in December 2017, and their third, Caleb Joseph, in June 2019.
Awards and nominations
|2017||Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host
(shared with Joy Behar, Jedediah Bila, Candace Cameron Bure, Paula Faris, Whoopi Goldberg, Sunny Hostin, and Raven-Symoné)
|2018||Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host
(shared with Joy Behar, Jedediah Bila, Paula Faris, Whoopi Goldberg, Sunny Hostin, and Meghan McCain)
|2020||Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host
(shared with Keke Palmer and Michael Strahan)
- "Sara Haines Biography". TV Guide. Retrieved October 13, 2019.
- Mizoguchi, Karen (September 18, 2018). "GMA Day's Sara Haines Surprised On-Air by Husband and Kids for Her 41st Birthday — See BTS Photos!". People. Retrieved October 13, 2019.
On Tuesday [Sept. 18, 2018], the star celebrated her 41st birthday on-air...
- "Sara Haines: Today Contributing Correspondent". MSNBC. n.d. Archived from the original on July 9, 2011.
- Barber-Just, Christina, "Live on Today: Sara Haines '00 makes her mark on America's number one morning show", SAQ, Spring 2010, Smith College Alumni Association
- "Smith Athletics Inducts 13 Into First Ever Hall of Fame Class". Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- "Get That Life: How I Became a Correspondent for 'Good Morning America'". Cosmopolitan. June 23, 2014. Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- Sullivan, Lauren. "Sara Haines bids a tearful farewell to TODAY". Today Show. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- "It's Official: Sara Haines Joins 'The View' as Season 20 Co-Host". Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- ""The View" Returns for a Historic Season 20 on Tuesday, September 6". abc.go.com. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- "Sara Haines Leaving 'The View' To Do Third Hour Of 'GMA' With Michael Strahan". www.msn.com. Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- Steinberg, Brian (July 21, 2018). "Michael Strahan, Sara Haines Will Host ABC's New 'GMA' Hour". Variety. Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- Pedersen, Erik (July 21, 2018). "Sara Haines Leaving 'The View' To Do Third Hour Of 'GMA' With Michael Strahan". Deadline. Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- "Sara Haines Gives a Tearful Goodbye to 'The View' on Last Day, Calls Co-hosts 'TV Gold'". Archived from the original on August 2, 2018. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Iannucci, Rebecca; Iannucci, Rebecca (September 10, 2018). "GMA Day: Did ABC's New Daytime Show Give You Something to Chew On?".
- Mitovich, Matt Webb; Mitovich, Matt Webb (August 26, 2019). "Strahan & Sara: Keke Palmer Officially Full-Time Co-Host, Program Renamed".
- "Inside Sara Haines's Sensible & Stylish Nursery on The View - The View". Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- "The View's Sara Haines Welcomes Baby Girl, Sandra Grace: Photo". Us Weekly. December 23, 2017. Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- "'Good Morning America's' Sara Haines, welcomes third baby, a boy". USA Today.
- Evans, Greg (March 22, 2017). "2017 Daytime Emmy Nominations: CBS Leads Networks With 70 Noms, 'Young & Restless' Tops With 25". Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Montgomery, Daniel (March 21, 2018). "2018 Daytime Emmy nominations: Full list of nominees for 45th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards". Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- Nordyke, Kimberly; Howard, Annie (May 21, 2020). "Daytime Emmy Awards: 'General Hospital' Tops Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 22, 2020.
| The View co-host