|Origin||New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States|
|Genres||Punk rock, indie rock, alternative rock|
|Labels||Don Giovanni Records|
Screaming Females is an American rock band from New Brunswick, New Jersey. They have released seven full-length albums. The band comprises Marissa Paternoster on guitar and vocals, Jarrett Dougherty on drums, and Mike "King Mike" Abbate on bass. The band has been featured on NPR, Last Call with Carson Daly, and MTV. They have played with bands such as Garbage, Throwing Muses, Dinosaur Jr., The Dead Weather, Arctic Monkeys, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists and The Breeders.
Paternoster and Abbate formed a band in high school under the name Surgery On TV. After several lineup changes they finally became a trio with Dougherty and changed the name of the band to Screaming Females. The band got their start in the basement show scene of New Brunswick, New Jersey. In the basement show scene, concerts are held in the houses of various bands, students, and residents, so people under 21 can attend. Screaming Females self-released the albums Baby Teeth in 2006 and What If Someone Is Watching Their T.V.? in 2007. The band then signed with Don Giovanni Records, which later re-released these two early albums.
With Don Giovanni Records
The band's first album for Don Giovanni Records was Power Move in 2009, followed by Castle Talk in 2010. Their fifth album, Ugly was released in 2012 and was recorded by noted audio engineer Steve Albini. The album received favorable reviews from The A.V. Club, Chicago Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, Pitchfork Media, Alternative Press and CMJ.
In 2012 Marissa Paternoster was named the 77th greatest guitarist of all time by Spin magazine. In 2013, Screaming Females released the self-produced EP Chalk Tape for streaming online. The EP was also sold as a limited run cassette tape and in a digital download format. The band wrote the songs for Chalk Tape by laying out ideas on a chalkboard and then recording the songs with no rewrites. In September 2013, the band toured with label mates Waxahatchee and Tenement.
In early 2014, Screaming Females recorded a live record at the Hideout in Chicago. In a later interview, Paternoster described the experience: "The Hideout in Chicago is just one of those venues we really like, it's small, it's been around forever, it has a rich history, it's part of the community, it just seemed like a really good place to make a live record. Steve [Albini] drove two tape machines into the alleyway so we could record it live to tape. Like Deep Purple or something? Yeah! That's what was happening, there was a pro studio in the alleyway." The band released their sixth album Rose Mountain, produced by Matt Bayles, in February 2015. Their seventh album All at Once was released in February 2018.
- Marissa Paternoster – vocals, guitar
- Jarrett Dougherty – drums
- Mike "King Mike" Abbate – bass
|2006||Baby Teeth||Self-released / Don Giovanni Records (reissued 2009)|
|2007||What if Someone is Watching Their T.V.?||Self-released / Don Giovanni Records (reissued 2009)|
|2009||Power Move||Don Giovanni Records|
|2010||Castle Talk||Don Giovanni Records|
|2012||Ugly||Don Giovanni Records|
|2015||Rose Mountain||Don Giovanni Records|
|2018||All at Once||Don Giovanni Records|
|2014||Live at the Hideout||Don Giovanni Records|
|2006||"Arm Over Arm/Zoo of Death"||Self-released||7"|
|2008||"Screaming Females/Hunchback Neil Young Tribute - Split"||Freedom School Records||7"|
|2008||"Screaming Females/Full of Fancy - Split"||Let's Pretend Records||7"|
|2009||"Screaming Females/JEFF the Brotherhood"||Infinity Cat Records||7"|
|2013||"Screaming Females/Garbage - Because The Night"||Stunvolume Records||10"|
|2013||"Screaming Females/Swearin'/Upset/Waxahatchee Guided By Voices Tribute"||Salinas Records||7"|
|2013||"Screaming Females/Tenement"||Recess Records||7"|
|2010||Singles||Don Giovanni Records|
|2013||Chalk Tape||Don Giovanni Records|
- Breihan, Tom (8 January 2015). "Screaming Females – "Criminal Image"". Stereogum. SpinMedia. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Rose, Joel (25 October 2010). "Screaming Females: DIY In New Brunswick". Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Last Call with Carson Daly". 27 April 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "It's On with Alexa Chung". 20 August 2009. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Garbage and Screaming Females Cover Patti Smith's "Because the Night"". 12 October 2012. Retrieved 11 Jan 2013.
- "Bio on Last.fm". Retrieved 11 Jan 2013.
- "Blast From the Past: Screaming Females". Maximumrocknroll.com. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- "Marissa Brings The Energy". 27 June 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Screaming Females Announce 'Ugly' LP, Are Not Going to Talk About Steve Albini". 18 January 2012. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Metacritic Ugly - Screaming Females". Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "SPIN's 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". SPIN magazine. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "New EP and New Song, Screaming Females Blog". Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Waxahatchee to Tour With Screaming Females". Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- Neutron, Conan. "« Conan Neutron's Protonic Reversal". Radionope.com. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- Minsker, Evan (12 November 2014). "Screaming Females Announce Rose Mountain, Share "Ripe"". Pitchfork. Pitchfork Media Inc. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Screaming FemalesAll At Once". Pitchfork. Don Giovanni Records.