Seljord within Telemark
|• Mayor (2015)||Halfdan Haugan (Ap)|
|• Total||715 km2 (276 sq mi)|
|• Land||670 km2 (260 sq mi)|
|Area rank||#155 in Norway|
|• Density||4/km2 (10/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0828|
|Official language form||Nynorsk|
Seljord is a municipality in Telemark county, Norway. It is part of the traditional region of Vest-Telemark. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Seljord. The parish of Siljord was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt).
The yearly Dyrsku'n market, held since 1866, attracts 60–80,000 visitors each year. The large fair started as a show of farm animals. Today it includes a huge market with vendors selling a variety of goods including base layer clothing, Bergans outdoors equipment, crafts, and food. Amusement rides are also featured.
Seljord Folkehøgskule is located in Seljord. The school offers a variety of courses including outdoor adventure, theater, music, and art. Seljord Folk High School
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Seljord farm (Old Norse: Seljugerði), since the first church was built there. The first element is the genitive case of selja which means "sallow-tree" or "willow" and the last element is gerði which means "field". Prior to 1889, the name was written "Silgjord" or "Sillejord".
- Hallvard Flatland (1957-) TV personality
- Anne Godlid (1773-1863)19th century Norwegian storyteller
- Terje Grøstad (1925–2011) painter
- Aslaug Høydal (1916-2007) author and teacher
- Daniel Bremer Juell (1808-1855) bishop of Tromsø staple 1849-1855
- Kim Leine (1961-) Danish-Norwegian author
- Halvor J. Sandsdalen (1911-1998) writer and folklore collector
- Ingebjørg Kasin Sandsdalen (1915-2003) Norwegian poet
- Jorund Telnes (1845-1892) writer and mayor
- Hans Christian Østergard Skori (1993-Present) WH Famous
Memorial to Magnus Brostrup Landstad
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Rygh, Oluf (1914). Norske gaardnavne: Bratsbergs amt (dokpro.uio.no) (in Norwegian) (7 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius bogtrikkeri. pp. 321–322.
- "Kommunevåpenet" (in Norwegian). Seljord kommune. Retrieved 2009-01-17.