|Occupation||Animator, film director, screenwriter|
Despicable Me franchise (creator)|
Sergio Pablos is a Spanish animator and screenwriter best known as the creator of the Despicable Me franchise for Universal Pictures. He became the third sole-creator of an animated movie franchise that went on to generate over $1 billion from theatrical and ancillary markets after only one sequel.
Pablos’ first job in animation with Disney Studios in Paris was as a character designer on A Goofy Movie (1995). From that connection he moved to Disney Studios in Burbank, California and began learning the ropes, working as animator or contributing to character designs on several major 2D animation productions, including The Hunchback of Notre Dame (character of Frollo), Hercules (character of Hades), Tarzan (character of Tantor the elephant), and Treasure Planet (character of Doctor Doppler). He was nominated for an Annie Award for his work on Treasure Planet. Subsequent to his departure from Disney, he was hired as character design supervisor on Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild for Columbia.
After several more years working in animation production, Pablos created the Despicable Me movie franchise based on his original screen story Evil Me and his own art design. He took the package unsolicited to Universal Pictures where he became the first of several screenwriters on the project as well as executive producer. In 2010 Despicable Me—starring Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Kristen Wiig, Miranda Cosgrove, Will Arnett, and Julie Andrews—was a box office success, received a Golden Globe nomination, and became one of animation’s highest-grossing movies. Pablos continued work as a character designer on another animated feature, Rio for 20th Century Fox, which was released the following year. He received his second Annie Award nomination for Rio. After the release of Despicable Me 2 in 2013, theatrical markets (worldwide box office) and ancillary markets (home media, cable, merchandising, books, video games, TV series, theme parks, etc.), pushed franchise total revenues to over ten figures. He was the writer for the film Warner Animation Group's Smallfoot.
Pablos shares his time between the U.S. and Spain where he is CEO and Creative Director of SPA Studios in Madrid.
- Once Upon A Forest (1993) Key animator
- A Goofy Movie (1995) Character designer
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) Character designer
- Hercules (1997) Character designer
- Tarzan (1999) Character designer
- Treasure Planet (2002) Character designer
- Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild (2005) Character designer supervisor
- Despicable Me (2010) Story, executive producer
- Rio (2011) Character designer
- Despicable Me 2 (2013) Characters created by (uncredited)
- Minions (2015) Characters created by (uncredited)
- Despicable Me 3 (2017) Characters created by
- Smallfoot (2018) Based on, executive producer
- Klaus (2019) Director, writer
Awards and nominations
|2003||Annie Awards||Character Animation||Treasure Planet||Nominated|
|2012||Annie Awards||Character Design in a Feature Production||Rio||Nominated|
- "Sergio Pablos". IMDb. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- "Annie Awards :: Home". annieawards.org. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- Studios, Sergio Pablos , CTN Expo , The Spa. "Sergio Pablos - Profile - CTN Expo". CTN Animation Expo. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- "SPA Studios - Sergio Pablos Animation Studios - Animation and multimedia". www.thespastudios.com. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- "The Numbers - Where Data and the Movie Business Meet". The Numbers. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- "Despicable Me merchandising".
- "'Despicable Me' Minions Find Their 'Paradise' In Upcoming Mobile Game". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- "Sergio Pablos Previews Exciting New 'Klaus' Animation Tests". Cartoon Brew. December 6, 2016. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- "Sergio Pablos Project 'Klaus' Is Moving Forward with Toon Boom as Tech Partner". Cartoon Brew. November 19, 2015. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- "Netflix Acquires Animated Family Film 'Klaus' From Co-Creator Of 'Despicable Me'". Deadline. November 17, 2017. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- Sergio Pablos at Internet Movie Database