||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may only interest a specific audience. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Government of Punjab|
Outpatient department of the hospital
|Location||Main Jail Road, Opposite Race Course Park, Lahore., Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Hospital type||University, Teaching|
|Affiliated university||Services Institute of Medical Sciences, UHS and CPSP|
|Lists||Hospitals in Pakistan|
Services Hospital is located on Jail Road Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan just next to the race course park and is the teaching hospital of Services Institute of Medical Sciences(SIMS). It is recognized by the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council, for under-graduate as well as by College of Physicians and Surgeons for post graduate training.
- 1 History
- 2 Recent developments
- 3 Hospital automation and Electronic Medical Record EMR
- 4 Medical Examination Department (MED)
- 5 Maintenance and Repair Department (M&R)
- 6 Endocrine Unit and Diabetes management center (EU & DMC)
- 7 Endocrinology services
- 8 Department of Medicine
- 9 Department of Surgery
- 10 Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- 11 Department of Pediatric Medicine
- 12 Department of Orthopedics
- 13 Department of Diagnostic Radiology
- 14 School of Nursing at Services Hospital Lahore
- 15 Gallery
- 16 Notes
- 17 External links
- 1958: A separate outdoor mini hospital for government employees, as a satellite clinic of Mayo Hospital.
- 1960: Clinic named as Wahdat Hospital. Subsequently renamed as Services Hospital.
- 1977: Services Hospital becomes the teaching hospital for the newly formed Allama Iqbal Medical College(AIMC).
- 1995: Teaching hospital for Postgraduate Medical Institute(PGMI).
- 1999: Declared as autonomous medical Institute with a management board to look after the affairs and give policy guide lines.
- 2002: Services Hospital declared as the teaching hospital for the newly formed Services Institute of Medical Sciences(SIMS).
Initially established in 1958 with 60 beds to provide basic health facilities to the government employees, the hospital has expanded considerably and has been totally transformed over the years. This change started when it was declared as a teaching hospital attached to AIMC in 1977. Today its 1196 beds are located in 31 departments, with 27 major operation theaters and 8 minor OTs and an out patient attendance of 700 patients (on an average) per day. Fiscal constraints have led to seeking out alternative avenues of funding including philanthropic support. Changing the emphasis to preventive work is encouraged notably in the Paediatrics department to avert unnecessary infant and child deaths due to pneumonia, malnutrition, diarrhea or vaccine-preventable illnesses. Major effort is made to control major communicable diseases such as Tuberculosis, Malaria, viral Hepatitis B & C, HIV/AIDS and Dengue with the help of department of infectious diseases headed by Prof. Sobia Qazi (Diplomat American Board of Infectious diseases). Attempts are being made to keep the services of this tertiary care institution in line with the latest technological advances while keeping the demands within the tight fiscal resources. If financial autonomy is given in the true sense, service delivery is likely to improve further. Sophisticated laboratory and radiographical procedures, investigations and examinations are performed totally free for all the patients admitted in the hospital and in A&E department.
Efficiency of an organization improves in tandem with the improvement of infra-structure and of the working environment. Although since 2004 numerous efforts have resulted in
- Renovation of Ophthalmology Department with modern operation theaters making it the best posterior chamber facility in the province
- Renovation of ENT Department with modern purpose built operation theaters suitable for fiber-optic sinus surgery.
- Renovation & up-gradation of four teaching medical units and one non-teaching medical ward
- Renovation of the surgical- gynecology blocks
- A purpose built OPD Block (under- construction)
- A purpose built Radiology and specialties block (under- construction)
- Development of Paeds Emergency Department
- Establishment of Endocrine & Diabetic Unit, Medical ICU and Critical Care Units
- Up gradation of main Operation Theaters, Neurosurgery Operation Theatres, Private Rooms and General Wards
- Construction of new residential block for doctors of SIMS/SH
- Improvement of employees residential colony
- Establishment of the first public sector Assisted Conception Unit in Pakistan.
- Up-gradation of pathology department with improved quality control & ISO 9002 and ISO 15142 certifications for all the four segments of pathology.
- Development of protocol for the diagnostic services – Pathology, Radiology – defining the workflow, time lag for each stage, QC and reporting of results within the specified time span.
- Improved and secure parking facilities for the doctors and staff
- Construction of purpose built M&R department with computerized complaint management.
- Establishing the first minimally invasive surgical suit and training center that is recognized by CPSP for training in the field – a follow-up training course has already been conducted where national as well as Indian, Nepalese, Siri-lankan doctors were trained.
- Establishment of state of art Library with integrated e-library, e-journals, Wi-Fi access for the students and in-house cache server for SIMS/SH.
- Construction of comprehensive storm water and sewage disposal system to prevent annual risk of inundation during rainy season
- Up gradation / Operationalization of Central Surgical Sterilization Department (CSSD) for provision of germ free surgical environment for operation theaters and casualty department, with instruments and linen sterilized to the internationally acceptable standard.
The aging infra-structure remains severely overstretched resulting in electrical overload and fire accidents.
Hospital automation and Electronic Medical Record EMR
IT is the key for effective, accurate and timely collection of data which is valuable and critical for information dependent decision making and administrative surveillance of work flow and personnel. The IT infrastructure developments during last five years are as under: Laying of fiber-optic back bone for connecting widely dispersed departments with heavy band width requirement for example Radiology imaging. Provision of dispersed servers with triple tier backup and redundancies, an essential requirement for disaster management and data recovery - an essential prerequisite while providing time critical health services. Imparting IT training of all the administrative staff to achieve proficiency in IT intensive management environment and use of HIMS tools for data collection and decision making. IT training of all para-medics and nursing staff to improve efficiency and organizational control. Currently, all doctors, para-medics and nurses are fully trained in computer operation and can efficiently operate Hospital Information Management System (HIMS) – developed and deployed by a team of three developers headed by Prof. Faisal Masud.
It is an end-to-end, integrated Solution, covering entire business cycle: patient management - (Registration, bed allocation, recording the vitals, online pathology tests, online radiological studies, Diagnosis, Prescription, Pharmacy, Discharge, etc.), service management (Ward management, M&R complaints, laundry management, inventory control and management, asset management, transport management) and HR management through the following Modules:
- Patient Management (EMR)
- Specialty modules for gynecology, neurology, orthopedics, pediatrics, dermatology, ENT, Eye, neurosurgery (total of 31 departments)
- Module for management & repair of electro medical instruments
- Module for management of transport
- Module for complaint management related to M&R
- Module for Medical Examination Department
- Emergency Management
- Ward Management
- Human Resource Management
- Finance and payroll
- Inventory Control
- Operation Theater Management
- Lab. management
The biometric attendance is linked to the HRM and Payroll. This has eliminated the ghost employees and has ensured the presence of workers at the right place at the right time. These modules are now operative in all clinical departments, diagnostics, radiology, finance, Inventory control, CSSD, Laundry, electricity generation, Operation theaters, Accident & emergency department, Social welfare and Zakat department and Local purchase. Integration of distant dispensaries is underway and one at the high court has already been integrated in the process.
In 2012 Hospital Information Software version 2 and EMR was rolled out. Soft ware is compliant with latest needs of the doctors and provides ease of use, modular structure and fast speeds.
Medical Examination Department (MED)
Services hospital provides a unique service of medical examination and declaration of fitness prior to recruitment. Manual system, in use before 2006, was riddled with loopholes and chances of fake and blatantly forged certificates were rife. To overcome this drawback a secure system of computer based data entry and bar-code based sample collection with opaque intersections were created, certificates were modified to have security features to prevent forgery. Since its launch complaints have plummeted and the confidence of the clients have increased to an extent that even foreign embassies accept medical certifications issued by Services Hospital.
Maintenance and Repair Department (M&R)
It is housed in a newly constructed three storied building with purpose built work benches and machinery for maintanince and repair. It is connected to each unit through Hospital Information Management System (HIMS) for on line complaint recording and redressal.
Endocrine Unit and Diabetes management center (EU & DMC)
EU & DMC is a purpose built facility to cater for the needs of diabetes and endocrine disorders. It was established in 2002 by Prof. Faisal Masud as diabetes clinic and latter on shifted to its present purpose built site. The project was conceived, planned and executed, entirely by him. It was completed in 2 years, at a cost of 30 million, contributed as donation, by him, his family and his philanthropist friends. The creation of the center was a revolutionary concept in the public health sector, as it was envisaged as a self-sustaining autonomous project under the umbrella of a public sector organization. Over the years the centre has managed to sustain this economic model by increasing the turn-over of patients and improving turnaround time per patient seen. Current turnover at DMC is around 200 patients daily. It provides advanced diagnostic / treatment facilities to the poor at a very nominal cost. this makes it one of the best and most caring centres in the world. The facility is headed by legendary lecturer Dr. Khadija Irfan.
DMC is a state of the art facility, set up in a purpose-built building, equipped with latest diagnostic equipment, run on most modern technology and managed by highly dedicated, competent and efficient medical professionals trained in the field of diabetes and endocrinology. It is the only center in Pakistan with comprehensive computerized, Patient Management System - using AI - for record-keeping and follow-up. This is a fully integrated modular system. Trends of symptoms and complications are charted at each visit. Currently, 300 parameters are logged for each patient, enabling appropriate decisions-making and uniform treatment. It is the first “intelligent medical system” in use in Pakistan, recognizing complications, adverse drug reactions and then recommending appropriate management decisions for the doctor to accept or reject. DMC has an extensive database of more than 100,000 patients, the biggest in Pakistan, for research in Endocrinology.
Over the years, this extensive patient registry has proved to be an invaluable research resource, enabling its participation in several international multicenter drug trials. DMC has won international acclaim from the auditors and researchers among the international participants in the AVT 105913 (research) study in which it was marked as the top achiever in the quality and efficiency. As a result, two more international research offers were granted (AVD 111960 and AVD 111179) which are under progress at the center. The center has achieved excellence in undergraduate and postgraduate medical instruction. This was recognized by the University of Health Sciences, Lahore, for training leading to MD in endocrinology and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan, for training leading to fellowship in endocrinology. This department was the first center which started the fellowship programme in the field of endocrinology. Currently, three foreign graduates are registered for postgraduate training in the field of endocrinology in the department.
Diabetes, with its huge disease burden, not only results in increased morbidity and mortality of the population but also reduces the earning time span of the patient. Provision of quality medical service at fraction of the cost, would substantially reduce the morbidity and end stage disease.
Endocrinology Unit is committed to providing the highest level of care for the full spectrum of endocrine disorders. It has started a number of multidisciplinary and subspeciality clinics offering comprehensive outpatient and inpatient services for a wide range of endocrine and metabolic diseases including:
- Pituitary disorders.
- Thyroid diseases.
- Androgen disorders- testosterone deficiency and erectile dysfunction.
- Growth disorders and growth hormone replacement therapy.
- Obesity and weight management programmes.
- Post-bariatric surgery clinic.
- Osteoporosis and metabolic bone disorders.
- Full endocrine testing.
- Fine needle aspiration of thyroid nodules.
- Full range of dynamic endocrine tests such as insulin tolerance test, water deprivation test, Euglycemic Clamp, OGTT, etc.
To ensure proper care and follow-up of our patients, specialized endocrine clinics are held daily.
THYROID CLINIC A multidisciplinary clinic for the diagnosis and management of all thyroid disorders, it was initially started on a weekly basis but as the number of thyroid patients has increased steadily, thyroid clinic is now held thrice weekly to accommodate them. A total of 550 patients with thyroid problems are currently registered with the unit. It operates in collaboration with the Nuclear Medicine department of INMOL and CENUM. Several procedures are undertaken including ultrasound of neck and FNAC thyroid in collaboration with Radiology department.
VIRILISATION AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH CLINIC Weekly clinic provides guidance and support to patients with reproductive health and currently has 200 patients enrolled. It offers diagnostic and treatment facilities like induction of puberty in hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism, evaluation of infertility, workup of Polycystic ovarian syndrome.
OBESITY AND METABOLIC CLINIC The clinic is held on Friday every week and evaluates patients with varying degrees of obesity, provides expert dietary advise and appropriate psychological support and counseling as well as patient education. 300 patients so far are registered with the clinic. We liaise with the Bariatric surgery Unit, Surgical unit 4 for management of patients with morbid obesity. The clinic offers a number of facilities like Nutrition evaluation with computer-based softwareIndirect calorimeter, fully furnished metabolic kitchen for diet and menu planning, analysis and demonstration.
PITUITARY AND GROWTH CLINIC Patients with pituitary gland problems, adenoms, growth retardation etc. are seen on Saturday every week with 140 patients registered with this clinic so far. Dynamic pituitary tests including insulin tolerance test, Water deprivation test are conducted with full protocol. It works in collaboration with eye department and neurosurgery for treatment e.g. of pituitary adenomas and with Radiology department for imaging interpretation.
ADRENAL CLINIC Patients with adrenal-related disorders like Addison’s disease, Cushing’ syndrome, phaeochromocytoma, Conn’s syndrome are also assessed weekly. To date, 50 patients of adrenal disorders are enrolled with the clinic. Procedure under taken include CRH testing,dexamethasone suppression test, Synacthen test. Research Project: Cortisol hypersensitivity syndrome in collaboration with a Dutch team.
PARATHYROID AND BONE CLINIC The clinic is held every Wednesday to assess patients with conditions like parathyroid adenoms, primary and secondary hyperparathyroidism, hypoparathyroidism. A number of patients with various parathyroid disorders are registered so far with the clinic. Procedures undertaken include Heel densitometry,VAS scoring for shin tenderness, DEXA scan in collaboration with CENUM. Ongoing research project is estimation of bone mineral density (BMD) in vitamin D deficient patients
Department of Medicine
Department of Internal medicine is geared to provide a foundation on which allied medical specialties can be built upon. As a first point of contact for any patient who seeks a medical advice as an out-patient or in accident & emergency department the internist is trained to have a holistic approach towards a patient, analyzing various health related issues and seek advice from his supervisors and other colleagues with highly specialized skills to offer comprehensive and best possible management plan for the patient.The internal medicine department comprises five medical units including four postgraduate teaching units and one specialist medical unit. Each unit has its independent working team of consultants with their own special interests including gastroenterology, nephrology and rheumatology etc. They are assisted by senior registrars and post graduate trainee registrars and house officers. Each medical unit has capacity of 40 beds with 36 hours emergency and 12 hours outpatient working rota per week. Although it is a nominal capacity, occupancy rate is often more than 100% by addition of beds. Huge patient turn over in A&E department often forces a rapid patient turnover compromising the ability of the teacher to demonstrate disease evolution to the patient.
Department of Surgery
There are four teaching surgical units, each with its own specialized field of interest.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Department of O&G consists of three teaching and one non-teaching units of 50 beds each. Demand for services provided often far exceeds the supply resulting in long waiting list for elective procedures.
Department of Pediatric Medicine
This department has two teaching units and a dedicated nursery to cater for the babies in need of intensive treatment. Nursery is often over-crowded and suffered a fire accident resulting in death of numerous new-born babies.
Department of Orthopedics
Is a professorial unit with 50 beds. It is recognized for training leading unto FCPS orthopedics.
Department of Diagnostic Radiology
This department has a professorial unit and a specialist unit. Together they provide diagnostic facilities ranging from CT scan, ultrasound, Doppler studies, fluoroscopy as well as routine radiological services.
School of Nursing at Services Hospital Lahore
School of Nursing is situated just next to the hospital and has dedicated teaching staff, some of them are with BSc and MSc degrees in nursing.It takes on students every year for a three-year training program leading to a diploma in nursing. The objective is to produce dedicated healthcare profession focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities. This school is supervised by Pakistan Nursing Council. PNC provides registration (license) to Nurses, Midwives, Lady Health Visitors (LHVs) and Nursing Auxiliaries to practice in Pakistan. The PNC is an autonomous, regulatory body to register (license) Nurses, Midwives, Lady Health Visitors (LHVs) and Nursing Auxiliaries to practice in Pakistan. PNC was established in 1948.
Planned future developments
- BScN 4 yrs Program
- Diploma in Midwifery
- Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery
- Diploma in Post Basic Nursing
- Pakistan Medical & Dental Council's List of Recognized Institutions at http://www.pmdc.org.pk/list_colleges.htm