Seth Riggs (born 1930) is an American singer, actor, and vocal coach. He has created the vocal technique "Speech Level Singing", and has worked with performers such as Prince, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, José José, Ray Charles, Madonna, Johnny Hallyday, Sohyang, AGNEZ MO, Bette Midler, Julio Iglesias and Barbra Streisand.
Early life, education, and career
Riggs started singing when he was about 7 years old, and joined the Washington National Cathedral Boys' Choir as a 9-year-old. Riggs has been a vocal coach since 1949, when he was serving in the Navy as a gunner. He "received his music education from Peabody Conservatory of Music and Manhattan School of Music", and also received a B.A. in drama from Johns Hopkins University. After receiving the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Peabody Conservatory, Riggs gave a masterclass which Richard Cassilly attended, and afterwards asked Riggs to help him with his voice. Riggs studied voice with teachers including American baritone John Charles Thomas and Italian tenor Tito Schipa, and in New York City with Keith Davis who was at the time teaching the majority of singers on Broadway.
Vocal coach Roger Love studied vocal pedagogy in Riggs's studio and later founded his own studio. Riggs conducts workshops and masterclasses around the world together with his wife, Margareta Svensson Riggs.
Riggs is married to singer Margareta Svensson, The two met when Svensson came to Seth Riggs for singing lessons in 1995. In 2008, they became a couple, and four years later, in 2012, they married and their daughter Samantha was born.
- Singing For The Stars – A Complete Program For Training Your Voice (1992, Alfred Music)
- American Idol Singer's Advantage: Male Version (2008, Hal Leonard Corporation)
- "Vocal Coach Seth Riggs on Working with Michael Jackson, Ray Charles and More". Daily.redbullmusicacademy.com. Retrieved 7 February 2021.
- "Seth Riggs Vault". Playbill. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- New China TV (2013-09-26), Michael Jackson's teacher trains Chinese teen star, retrieved 2016-10-05
- "Singing seminar scheduled Aug. 28", The Herald-Palladium (August 20, 1999), p. 6.
- Taraborrelli, J. Randy (2009). Michael Jackson: The Magic, The Madness, The Whole Story, 1958–2009. Grand Central Publishing, 2009. p. 348. ISBN 978-0-446-56474-8.
- [dead link]
- Vaziri, Aidin (May 1, 2005). "A Spacey Chat With Stars' Voice Coach". SF Gate. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Beale, Lauren. "Voice coach to the stars Seth Riggs lists his home and studios for sale in Hancock Park". Latimes.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Voice Conference At COD, Feb. 1-2", The Desert Sun (January 29, 1974), p. 13.
- Fred Rasmussen, "Richard B. Cassilly, 70. world-renowned operatic tenor", The Baltimore Sun (February 3, 1998), p. 9B.
- "Vocal coach Roger Love helps put the sing in Hollywood performances". Los Angeles Times. 25 June 2014. Retrieved 28 January 2020.
- "Seth Riggs and Margareta Svensson Riggs on New China TV". YouTube. Retrieved 7 February 2021.
- "Hollywoodfru på besök i Morgonskiftet - Morgon i P4 Jönköping". Radio Sveriges. July 29, 2013. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Hollywoodfrun sa ja till Seth, 81". Expressen.se. Retrieved 7 February 2021.
- "Margareta Svensson: "Graviditeten var fantastisk"". Mama.nu. Retrieved 7 February 2021.
- "Hollywoodfrun Margareta Svensson har fått barn". Aftonbladet.se. Retrieved 7 February 2021.
- "Margareta Svensson (43) fikk barn med Seth Riggs (81)". Vg.no. Retrieved 7 February 2021.