Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san
|Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san|
Cover of the first manga volume
(Sekushī Komandō Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san)
|Genre||Comedy, Slice of life|
|Written by||Kyosuke Usuta|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump|
|Original run||1995 – 1997|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Akitaro Daichi|
|Original run||January 1, 1998 – April 3, 1998|
|Episodes||48 + 2 DVD bonus (recap)|
Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san (Japanese: セクシーコマンドー外伝 すごいよ!!マサルさん Hepburn: Sekushī Komandō Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san, lit. Sexy Commando Side Story: That's Amazing!! Mr. Masaru) is a Japanese manga written and illustrated by Kyosuke Usuta. The manga (79 chapters in total) appeared in Weekly Shōnen Jump from 1995 to 1997. In 1998, it was turned into an animation by the Japanese network TBS and ran 48 seven-minute episodes as part of the television show block Wonderful. The anime follows the first 48 chapters of the manga nearly word for word, for the dialogue used in the series and the scenes drawn were lifted directly from the manga panels.
Wakame High School's extracurricular "Sexy Commando Club" consists of 5-6 male members including the Principal, a female manager, and a small mysterious pet. The strange art of Sexy Commando (which extends back to Japan's Muromachi period) is a martial one; however, instead of focusing on how to defeat an opponent with physical force, the art focuses on how to distract the opponent to the point he's unable to fight. There are many techniques, though the Club tends to favor the unzipping of the trousers (Elize no Yuuutsu).
- Masaru Hananakajima (花中島マサル Hananakajima Masaru)Voiced by: Yūji Ueda
- Before finding the "Sexy Commando Guide Book" and venturing on a hermit-like three month vacation from school, Masaru was a new transfer student to Wakame High. After enrolling, he joined and defeated all members of all martial arts clubs in the school (Karate, Judo, etc.) He has tremendous strength, and a tremendous lack of common sense and understanding of social skills to go with it. He created the Sexy Commando Club after the Karate Club lost all of its members and therefore faced cancellation. He almost always wears blue jeans, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and two golden, metallic rings on his shoulders that he "found" (the rings certainly seem to be extraterrestrial, because Masaru assaulted two aliens that came to reclaim them). The rings also create instantaneous hair growth and interfere with electronic displays (one cash register displayed "Help me" and an electronic scale displayed "Lardbutt" when the rings were near). He loves mustaches, giving strange nicknames, and drawing on the faces of those he has defeated with permanent marker; he often writes the character 肉 (niku,meat) on the foreheads of defeated opponents (this is one of several references in the show to the long-running manga "Kinnikuman"). He is the club's chief and created the club's song, rules, and symbol mark. In his childhood, Masaru labelled himself as a "Shōjo Commando" but after his father's efforts to change his son, Masaru decided to abandon that title.
- Okometsubu Fujiyama (藤山起目粒 Fujiyama Okometsubu)Voiced by: Junichi Kanemaru
- Nickname: Fuumin (フーミン)
- Fuumin is a very normal transfer student to Wakame High School, and is somewhat of a narrator of the story. He also provides the tsukkomi to Masaru's boke. A bit short and weak looking, he unwittingly becomes Masaru's friend and a club member. He adores cats.
- Machahiko Kondō (近藤真茶彦 Kondō Machahiko)Voiced by: Kazuya Ichijō
- Nickname: Machahiko (マチャ彦)
- Machahiko is the tall, blond former chief of the Karate Club. Once Masaru joins the club and defeats all the club members, all students involved in the club quit and Machahiko must recruit new members before the club is disbanded by the school. Masaru then offers to help, and the club is saved, but the name of the club is then changed to the "Sexy Commando Club". Machahiko can be instantly encouraged or discouraged by mentioning that what he does is either "manly" or not.
- Tsuyoshi Isobe (磯辺強 Isobe Tsuyoshi)Voiced by: Yūichi Nagashima
- Nickname: Kyasharin (キャシャリン) which basically means "living bones".
- Kyasharin has hair dyed brown and is a completely emaciated bag of bones, in part due to his addiction to vitamin supplements. He joins the club in order to become stronger, and for a brief period does become stronger, giving up the vitamins for food and exercise. Unfortunately, his reliance on vitamin supplements continues, and every time he takes them, so does his spasmatic cry "Okure-nisan" (a reference to a Japanese comedian Mr. Okure, who is also extremely thin). He was also the ace of his baseball team in middle school.
- Kojirō Satō (佐藤吾次郎 Satō Kojirō)Voiced by: Ryō Naitō
- Nickname: Afro-kun (アフロ君 Afuro-kun)
- Afro-kun joins later in the story, and is a semi-minor character. After begging Masaru to make him more "individualistic", Masaru gives this model nerd a perm, and then names him "Afro-kun". An opposing Sexy Commando team member later rips two holes from the afro and his hair assumes a more triangular shape. He is extremely smart, but has no sense with girls.
- Nobuyuki Sakakibara (Sakakibara Nobuyuki)Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue
- Nickname: Susan Fumiko Tanaka (田中スーザンふ美子 Tanaka Sūzan Fumiko)
- Susan is actually Nobuyuki Sakakibara, a former Sexy Mate (Sexy Commando participant) who won the All-Japan Sexy Commando Tournament six years straight. He was formerly a teacher and now is the principal of the school. He suddenly aged when he expended all of his energy pushing the school four inches (102 mm) off its foundation in order to inspire a lazy student (who later became Prime Minister). He dons a red ski mask when he wishes to become Susan (and hide his identity to Masaru).
- Club Manager Tomoe Kitahara (北原ともえ Kitahara Tomoe)Voiced by: Hiroko Konishi
- Nickname: Moe-moe (もえもえ)
- Moemoe joined the group initially believing that the club was actually the "Mustache Club". She shares Masaru's love for facial hair, as her father died trying to grow the "legendary blue mustache". She is always supportive of the others in the club. She also spends a considerable amount of time with Meso.
- Club Sponsor Tatsurō Matsuda (松田達郎 Matsuda Tatsurō)Voiced by: Hiroshi Takahashi
- Nickname: Torepan (トレパン)
- Torepan is an annoying P.E. coach that sponsors the Sexy Commando club. He always wears training pants (thus the nickname Torepan), wears aviator sunglasses, and is always tweeting away at a coach's whistle. He one time bets the club's endowment money on a baseball game (Sexy Commando Club vs. Baseball Club) that the Sexy Command Club subsequently wins. The club members pay no attention to him, and consider him a nuisance.
- Club Mascot Meso (メソ)Voiced by: Omi Minami
- It is questionable what Meso is, because even though the cute, little yellow munchkin with a blue mustache for eyebrows is the mascot of the team, its zipper (located on his back) has opened various times and various other lifeforms have emerged from inside (the anime's finale has Meteru from Galaxy Express 999 come out). Meso's usual comment is "Mokyu". It has been known to be extremely violent when threatened, and has an impressive set of fangs and claws. It was found on either a spaceship or in a coffee shop called "Dosukoi Kissa Je T'aime", depending on the club members' opinions.
It is considered a hit in Japan; its seven volumes have sold over 7 million copies. In a 2008 Oricon survey with 900 men and women from 10 to 40 years, Sexy Commando Gaiden was the third most fun manga; among people of 20–29 it was the most voted. Jonathan Bethune, in Publishers Weekly said, "Usuta's writing consistently avoids the obvious gags found in typical shonen comedy and instead challenges readers with its clever satire and wit." Commenting on the anime adaptation, Justin Sevakis of Anime News Network called the series Akitaro Daichi's magnum opus in terms of "ridiculous, spastic comedy."
- "Wireless Speaker Lounge" (in Japanese). Sony Corporation. Archived from the original on December 2, 2014. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- 一番笑った漫画1位、女性から人気の｢銀魂｣ [Ichiban waratta manga 1 kurai, josei kara ninki no (gin tamashii)] (in Japanese). Oricon. April 22, 2008. Archived from the original on January 11, 2012. Retrieved December 5, 2009.
- Bethune, Jonathan (July 6, 2010). "Found in Translation: Kyosuke Usuta's 'Sexy Commmando Gaiden' and Kenta Tsuchida's 'Lock On!'". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved October 26, 2010.
- "Elf Princess Rane - Buried Treasure". Anime News Network. April 3, 2008. Retrieved December 2, 2014.