Shadow Hills, Los Angeles
|Time zone||UTC−8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−7 (PDT)|
The City of Los Angeles annexed Sunland in June 1926. For many years, Shadow Hills remained rural and largely undeveloped because its hills and "rock-hard" soil made it difficult to build.
The community of Shadow Hills is located in the northwestern Verdugo Mountains, near the western end of the Crescenta Valley. It is north of the city of Burbank and southeast of the Hansen Dam Reservoir.
Shadow Hills falls within Census Tract 103300.
Shadow Hills is within the City of Los Angeles and is represented by:
- Los Angeles City Council District 7, Councilmember Monica Rodriquez.
- Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors District 5, Supervisor Kathryn Barger
- California State Senate District 25, Anthony Portantino
- California State Assembly District 39, Luz Rivas
- United States House of Representative District 28, Adam Schiff
- Los Angeles Fire Department Station 24 (Sunland/Shadow Hills) is in the area.
- Los Angeles Fire Department Station 77 (Sun Valley/Shadow Hills/La Tuna Canyon) is in the area.
- Shadow Hills is served by the Los Angeles Police Department Foothill Community Police Station.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) serves Shadow Hills. Not one LAUSD school is inside of Shadow Hills. Students must travel outside of Shadow Hills to Sun Valley for Stonehurst Elementary School, Maclay Middle School in Pacoima, and Verdugo Hills High School in Tujunga.
Property owners association
The neighborhood's residents formed the Shadow Hills Property Owners Association in the mid-1960s to fight the planned routing of a Foothill Freeway offramp through the heart of the neighborhood. This would have run along McBroom Street and two segments of Wheatland Avenue, from Wentworth Avenue to Sunland Boulevard. This organization persuaded the Los Angeles Planning Commission to abandon the proposed route for the offramp, and so preserved the neighborhood's semi-rural character. The Association continues to function today.
- Mark Salling
- Jordon Terrell
- Timothy (Tim The Ice Man) Moscicki School/la-sp-loyola-concussions-20140722-story.html
- Hervé Villechaize (Tattoo from fantasy Island). lived on McBroom for a few years in the 80s
- Ken Osmond (an actor best known for his role as troublemaker Eddie Haskell on "Leave It to Beaver” television sitcom from 1957 to 1963). CNN.com › entertainment › ken...
- Gerry Lancaster (a contestant on the third season of the American version of Big Brother). He is the first winner of the power of veto in the Big Brother franchise and used it to save Marcellas, who he believed the house targeted because of both his race and homosexuality.
- (PDF). 11 November 2005 https://web.archive.org/web/20051111031000/http://www.lacity.org/council/cd2/doc/Community_Descriptions.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2005-11-11. Missing or empty
|title=(help)CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "ZIP Code Lookup tool". United States Postal Service. Retrieved 2007-03-18. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "City of Los Angeles Population by Community & Race". Los Angeles Almanac. Archived from the original on 2010-01-11. Retrieved 2007-03-18. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-01-11. Retrieved 2010-04-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Shadow Hills" entry on the Los Angeles Times "Mapping L.A." website
- "Welcome to LA Council District 7".
- "Statewide Database". UC Regents. Retrieved December 10, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "California's 28th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-11-02. Retrieved 2007-02-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-08-02. Retrieved 2009-09-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Foothill Community Police Station - Los Angeles Police Department". www.lapdonline.org.
- "Shadow Hills Property Association". Shadow Hills Property Association.
- "Ex-'Glee' star Mark Salling indicted on child-porn charges". Houston Chronicle. Saturday, May 28, 2016. Retrieved on May 28, 2016.