Shields in 2015
|No. 31 – Kirolbet Baskonia|
|Position||Shooting guard / Small forward|
June 5, 1994|
Overland Park, Kansas
|Nationality||American / Danish|
|Listed height||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Listed weight||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school||Northwest (Olathe, Kansas)|
|NBA draft||2016 / Undrafted|
|Career highlights and awards|
Shavon Shields (born June 5, 1994) is an American-Danish basketball player for Kirolbet Baskonia of the Liga ACB and the EuroLeague. He played college basketball for the Nebraska Cornhuskers men's basketball team.
- 1 High school career
- 2 Recruitment
- 3 College career
- 4 Professional career
- 5 Personal
- 6 References
- 7 External links
High school career
As a junior, Shields was a second-team all-Class 6A honoree and a first-team All-Sunflower Conference selection, as he averaged 17 points and six rebounds a game. Shields transferred into Olathe Northwest for his sophomore year, earning Sunflower League Newcomer-of-the-Year accolades. He also starred playing AAU ball for the MoKan Elite and Coach Rodney Perry. An outstanding student with a 4.0 GPA, Shields was on the honor roll throughout high school and a National Honor Society member.
As a senior, Shields was a consensus first-team Class 6A selection in Kansas after averaging 21.2 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game for Coach Michael Grove at Olathe Northwest High School. He helped the Ravens to a 20-2 record and an appearance in the sub-state finals. Shields helped Olathe Northwest to an unblemished record in league play, earning Sunflower Conference MVP honors. In addition, he earned second-team all-class honors from the Topeka Capital Journal and Wichita Eagle, a first-team all-metro selection by the Kansas City Star and was a finalist for the DiRenna Award, signifying the top player in the Kansas City area.
Shields came to Nebraska after being one of the top players in the Kansas City area throughout his prep career. Shields joined Willie Cauley-Stein as Olathe Northwest’s first-ever Division I signees in November 2011. Shields totaled 1,068 points in his three-year career at the school and finished as the school’s all-time leader in points, rebounds, free throws, field goals, steals and rebounds.
Shavon selected Nebraska over Texas Tech, Oregon State, Weber State, Long Beach State and Wyoming.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Olathe, KS||Olathe Northwest High School||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)||200 lb (91 kg)||Sep 5, 2011|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN: ESPN grade: 82|
|Overall recruiting rankings:|
Shields was the November 11, 2013 and March 10, 2014 men's basketball player of the week during the 2013–14 Big Ten Conference season. On January 31, 2014, he was named an Academic All-District by CoSIDA, placing him among the 40 finalists for fifteen 2013–14 Academic All-American basketball selections.
On February 26, 2016, Shields became the first Nebraska men's basketball player to be named a First Team Academic All-American by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).
Shields finished his career at Nebraska tied for fifth on the school's all-time scoring list (1,630 points). He led the Huskers in scoring his senior season with 16.8 points per game. The conference coaches named him 2nd Team, All-Big Ten, and the conference media panel selected him to its 3rd Team.
Correct as of 11 March 2016
Fraport Skyliners (2016–2017)
Dolomiti Energia Trento (2017–2018)
KIrolbet Baskonia (2018–present)
Shields is the son of National Football League Hall of Famer Will Shields. He was a high school teammate of Kentucky Wildcat Willie Cauley-Stein at Olathe Northwest High School. Shields represented the Denmark national basketball team in U20 competitions and joined the national team again in 2018 for the FIBA EuroBasket 2021 Pre-Qualifiers.
- "Michigan and Nebraska Claim Weekly Awards". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- "Indiana and Nebraska Claim Weekly Awards". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "Indiana and Nebraska Earn First Weekly Men's Basketball Honors: Nebraska's Shavon Shields and Indiana's Noah Vonleh collect respective Player and Freshman of the Week awards". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. 2013-11-11. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- "Michigan, Nebraska and Indiana Earn Weekly Men's Basketball Honors". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2014-03-10.
- "Four Big Ten Standouts Named Academic All-District". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. 2014-01-31. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Shields Named First-Team Academic All-American". NU Athletic Communications. Huskers.com. 2015-02-26. Retrieved 2016-02-23.
- "Rookie forward Shavon Shields inks with Fraport Skyliners Frankfurt". 24 August 2016. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Shavon Shields to Dolomiti Energia Trento". 24 August 2018. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "Shavon Shields, baskonista las próximas 2 temporadas - Saski Baskonia". Saski Baskonia (in Spanish). 18 July 2018. Retrieved 18 July 2018.