Shavonda E. Sumter
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly
from the 35th district
January 10, 2012
Serving with Benjie E. Wimberly
|Preceded by||Elease Evans
January 19, 1974 |
Paterson, New Jersey, U.S.
|Education||Kean University (BA)
Fairleigh Dickinson University
Sumter was born in Paterson, New Jersey, the daughter of Charles and Bonnie Williams. She attended public and private schools in Paterson, Prospect Park, and Haledon. She graduated from Kean University in 1996 with a B.A. degree in political science. She earned an M.B.A. degree in health care administration from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Sumter has worked in health services and currently serves as Director of Behavioral Health Services at Mountainside Hospital in Glen Ridge.
Sumter has served on the New Jersey Democratic State Committee since 2008. She was one of the members of the electoral college who cast a ballot for Barack Obama and Joe Biden after the 2008 presidential election. In 2010, Sumter was the campaign manager for Jeffery Jones in his successful campaign for Mayor of Paterson.
In the 2011 legislative elections, there were two open Assembly seats in the 35th District, after Nellie Pou decided to run for the State Senate and Elease Evans retired. Sumter and her running mate, Benjie E. Wimberly, defeated the Republican candidates, William Connolly and Donna Puglisi. She was sworn in on January 10, 2012. In the Assembly, Sumter serves on the Assembly Labor Committee (as Vice-Chair), the Health and Senior Services Committee, and the Law and Public Safety Committee. She holds the leadership positions of Majority Conference Leader since 2015 and was Deputy Speaker from 2014 to 2015.
As of September 2016, Sumter was considering a run for the Democratic nomination for Governor in 2017, and was also considered the leading candidate for selection as the party's candidate for lieutenant governor. However, the eventual Democratic nominee for governor, Phil Murphy, chose Assemblywoman Sheila Oliver as his running mate.
A resident of Paterson, she is married to Kenneth Sumter and has two children. Tyler (1998) and Kenneth Jr. (2000) 
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 35th District for the 2018-2019 Legislative Session are:
- "Meet Assemblywoman Shavonda E. Sumter". Shavonda Sumter for Assembly. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "Assemblywoman Shavonda E. Sumter (D)". New Jersey Legislature. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "U. S. Electoral College 2008 Election - Certificates". Archives.gov. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "Turnover in N.J. Legislature is slight". Asbury Park Press. 2012-01-10. Retrieved 2012-02-05. (Subscription required (. ))
- Legislative Roster 2018-2019 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 10, 2018.
- District 35 Legislators, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 10, 2018.
- Assemblywoman Shavonda E. Sumter's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
|New Jersey General Assembly|
|Member of the New Jersey Assembly
from the 35th district
Served alongside: Benjie E. Wimberly