|Born||1949 (age 67–68)
Sherri Hill was born Sherri Branum, one of five siblings of James and Roberta Branum and was born and raised in a small town in Oklahoma. Hill’s parents owned local general stores selling everything from fabric and clothing to shampoo, candy and school supplies; she was given the opportunity at age eight to join her older sisters in part-time work at the family store. The colorful fabric that was sold in the store sparked Hill's interest in fashion and eventually she was allowed to “dress” the four mannequins in the front windows by draping yards of fabric around each.
While Hills was studying fashion design at the University of Oklahoma, her family opened stores in Norman and Oklahoma City where they focused on ladies’ clothing and evening wear. It was during these years that Hill began designing her own line of evening gowns.
After university, Hill worked for various manufacturers in the evening wear business. She started gaining recognition in the pageant world when various Miss America, Miss USA and Miss Universe contestants won in the gowns she had designed. Along with designing pageant gowns, Hill worked for 12 years as designer for Jovani Fashions, helping launch the brand. Hill eventually left Jovani in 2008 to begin her own evening gown line under the name Sherri Hill, Inc. which now has a network of over 800 stores.
Various celebrities including Selena Gomez, Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert , Zendaya, Ariana Grande, Gabby Douglas, Fifth Harmony, Bella Thorne and Ryan Newman have worn Hill’s designs for various red carpet, charity and social events. One of the dresses of the Sherri Hill brand, style 1403, was worn by Selena Gomez while performing in a 2011 concert. Kendall Jenner and Nicole Polizzi are also fans.
New York Fashion Week
In 2011, Sherri Hill debuted at New York Fashion Week in the Trump Tower. This was Kendall Jenner's first runway show launching her New York Fashion Week runway career. Kendall's celebrity sisters Kim Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian sat front row in support of Kendall's runway debut. Following the runway show Kendall expressed her excitement by tweeting "OMGGGG just finished my first ever runway show for @sherrihill!!! #amazing #imaddictedtorunway!"
At the 2013 New York Fashion Week, Sherri Hill held an 'Evening By Sherri Hill' show at the Trump Tower. Hill debuted her new prom and couture collections in front of several celebrities, including the Duck Dynasty family. Sadie Robertson, the 16-year-old daughter of Willie Robertson of Duck Commander, walked in the runway show modelling the 'Sadie Robertson Live Original' range.
At the February, 2016 NYFW show, Sherri Hill's show was held at Gotham Hall and in addition to Sadie Robertson, she had Miss Universe, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach walk the runway.
In June 20, 2012, Hill made public her success in a lawsuit against online counterfeiters. She was awarded $5,000,000 in the case against the two defendants that were accused of selling hundreds of fake gowns under the Sherri Hill pretense. After winning the legal battle in 2012, the company has hired staff devoted to reporting violations of copyright laws via the Internet.
In March 2013, Sherri Hill, Inc. was featured on The Today Show and discussed their work with fighting knock off designer goods and their experience with individuals that have received counterfeit Sherri Hill dresses from fraudulent online retailers.
- Neill, Michael (September 12, 1988). "Doing Everything in the Correct Sequins, Two Oklahoma Sisters Design Hits for Misses". People magazine. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "MTV Style | Sherri Hill Exclusive Interview". Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- McDonnell, Brandy. "Oklahoma designer Sherri Hill dresses Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, "Snooki" Polizzi and more". newsok.com. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "2012 MISS USA: opening number-Sherri Hill Fashion". Miss USA. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- http://www.sherrihill.com/prom-dress-shops.php%7Cpublisher=Sherri Hill, Inc.|accessdate=5 July 2012
- Pearson, Jennifer (October 22, 2012). "Dreams do come true! Bella Thorne is a princess for the day as she celebrates her 15th birthday with a fairytale bash". Daily Mail. London. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Hochberg, Emily. "Selena Gomez Or Kendall Jenner: Who Wore Sherri Hill Best?". Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Lockwood, Lisa (December 16, 2014). "Google Publishes Annual "Year in Search" Results". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- "Google Year in Search 2014". Google. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- Watts, Jenisha. "Another Day, Another Jenner: Kendall Hits the Catwalk for Sherri Hill". Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Gibson, Cristina (September 15, 2011). "See Kendall Jenner's Runway Modeling Debut!". Eonline. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- Jenner, Kendall (September 14, 2011). =April 15, 2015 "Kendall Jenner" Check
|url=value (help). Twitter.
- Adams, Rebecca (September 8, 2012). "Kendall And Kylie Jenner Model In Sherri Hill Spring 2013 Runway Show". Huffington Post. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Finn, Natalie. "Duck Dynasty's Sadie Robertson Makes New York Fashion Week Debut—Catch Up With the Family Backstage!". E! Online. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- Shipley, Kelci. "Emmy Rossum, Kat Graham, Nick Jonas And More Celebs At Fashion Week". MTV Style. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan (September 11, 2013). "'Duck Dynasty' Daughter Sadie Robertson Walks The Runway At New York Fashion Week". Huffington Post. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- "Kardashians: Modeling Mayhem". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Gioconda Law Group PLLC. "Dress Designer Sherri Hill Wins $5M Judgment Against Online Counterfeiters in Lawsuit Brought by The Gioconda Law Group PLLC (press release)". Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Davis, Josh. "Scammers target promgoers with fake designer dresses". Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Rossen, Jeff. "Rossen Reports: Scammers target promgoers with fake designer dresses". Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Prom Dress Knock Offs Break Teen Hearts with Shoddy Quality". Retrieved May 12, 2015.