Silkk the Shocker
Silkk the Shocker
|Birth name||Vyshonne King Miller|
|Also known as||Silkk|
|Born||June 18, 1973|
|Origin||New Orleans, Louisiana, USA|
|Genres||Southern hip hop, gangsta rap|
|Labels||No Limit Forever Records, Shocker World, XLP Distribution, No Limit Records, Priority Records, EMI, Entertainment One, Guttar Music, Globy House|
|Associated acts||TRU, 504 Boyz|
Vyshonne King Miller (born June 18, 1973), better known by his stage name Silkk the Shocker, is an American rapper and actor. He originally went under the stage name Silkk, but later adopted Silkk the Shocker after the release of his first album. He has now signed partnership with his brother Master P and his nephew Romeo label No Limit Forever.
1996–1998: The Shocker and Charge It 2 da Game
Silkk the Shocker rose to fame in the mid-late 1990s, after striking a deal with Priority, Silkk released his 1996 debut album The Shocker in August 1996 using the alias "Silkk" and with beats from acclaimed producers such as Craig B and DJ Daryl. After changing his name to Silkk the Shocker, he went on to appear on numerous albums from TRU's Tru 2 da Game, Mia X's Unlady Like, and Mystikal's Unpredictable. He had a brief feud with East Coast rapper LL Cool J in the 90's. Shortly after the release of The Shocker, Silkk the Shocker changed his name from Silkk to acquire a new name based on his first album. He used the Shocker alias on a few No Limit albums in 1997. Silkk would feature on Master P's 1997 hit "Make 'Em Say Uhh!" which is featured on Master P's 1997 album Ghetto D, but also released as a single in early 1998. Continuing on the success of the hit single, Silkk would release his next single with labelmate Mystikal as a featured artist on one of his biggest hits of his career at the time "It Ain't My Fault". It Ain't My Fault gained popularity and became one of the trademark songs for Silkk the Shocker. In that same year Silkk the Shocker would feature on, at that time a new group, Destiny's Child's single "Just Be Straight with Me",. The same year Silkk dueted with R&B singer Mýa on "Movin' On", a song from her self-titled debut album Mýa.
1999: Made Man
In 1999, Mýa and Silkk collaborated on the lead single from his album Made Man. The track, titled "Somebody Like Me", became one of the year's top-selling singles on the Billboard charts. Made Man's most successful single was "It Ain't My Fault 2" featuring Mystikal became one of Silkk's biggest hits to date. Made Man was certified platinum by the RIAA in 1999 making him a big mainstream artist in the late 1990s and early 2000s. On December 30, 1999, Made man had sold over 3.5 million records in the U.S and over 5 million copies worldwide, making Silkk the Shocker one of the biggest artist at the turn of the new millennium.
2001–2004: My World, My Way and Based on a True Story
In 2001, Silkk released My World, My Way in 2001 which sold over 200,000 copies its first week in stores and by July 2004, it has sold 712,000 copies in the U.S. He made a single called "That's Cool" featuring Southern rapper Trina which became a hit. A single called "He Did That" which was produced by Donald XL Robertson made it to #13 on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop Singles and Tracks. Based on a True Story was released in 2004 which didn't generate the same publicity he enjoyed in the late 1990s, but the former still managed to sell very well.
On June 3, 2010, a video of Silkk freestyling over DJ Khaled's "All I Do Is Win" was posted to Youtube. Silkk released his first mixtape called All I Do Is Win on August 21, 2010, the mixtape marks Silkk's return to hip-hop. It was confirmed that Silkk signed with his nephew Romeo's new record label, No Limit Forever Records and is working on his sixth studio album called Incredible. Some of the producers on this album are Manny Streetz, Marvz, Mike Bangum of Da Beat Kadetz and JoJo Ryder. In 2010 Silkk the Shocker went on a tour with his brother Master P and nephew Romeo Miller. The tour was entitled "No Limit Forever International".
On November 5, 2013, Silkk the Shocker announced on his Twitter account that he was still working on his upcoming sixth studio album Incredible. On April 24, 2014 Silkk released the first single off Incredible entitled "Don't Give Up". On May 15, 2014 Silkk released a music video on his Vevo channel for "Don't Give Up". On May 19, 2014 Miller would release the second single off Incredible entitled "We Ain't Even Trippin".
On March 2, 2015 Miller announce via his official YouTube channel that his new single entitled "Business" featuring No Limit Forever in-house producer BlaqNmilD would be released later in March and his album Incredible would be released later the same year along with a movie of the same name starring himself. On August 24, 2015, Miller would release the music video for his second single entitled "We Ain't Even Trippin"; it would be directed by T. Church. On September 4, 2015 Miller would release the third single off Incredible entitled "Business" featuring No Limit Forever in-house producer BlaqNmilD.
Silkk was featured on World Wrestling Entertainment's WWE Wreckless Intent album, which was released on May 23, 2006. The song he performed on the album, "I'm Comin'", has since been used as the theme song for WWE Smackdown wrestler Montel Vontavious Porter until his release in late 2010. Silkk also performed former SmackDown! wrestler Orlando Jordan's theme song, "Do It Big".
In 2007 Silkk along with comedians Lil Duval and Michael Blackson was cast as the lead actors in the Six Five film More Money, More Family, the film was produced by Silkk the Shocker and Tracy McGrady, and shot on location in Orange, California, using film students from nearby Chapman University, originally intended for DVD release in Wal-Mart, but the film has yet to find a distributor. On October 2, 2015 Silkk would announce via his Instagram that film production companies Grindstone Entertainment and Lionsgate Films would be distributing the movie More Money, More Problems, and its release date would be November 3, 2015.
In 2011 Silkk co-starred in the horror film Reservation produced by Sedona Studios.
Silkk is the younger cousin of Mo B. Dick. His older brother, Kevin Miller, was killed during a robbery in 1990. C-Murder and Master P are his other brothers He has one sister, Germaine who owns a beauty salon. He has 8 nephews: Romeo Miller, Valentino Miller, Hercy Miller, Mercy Miller, Lil' D, C-Los, Young Trump, and Veno Miller. He also has 4 nieces, singer Cymphonique Miller,Intylyana Miller, Tytyana Miller and Itali Miller. He has two children, son Lil King (born 2001), and daughter Jianna.
- The Shocker (1996)
- Charge It 2 da Game (1998)
- Made Man (1999)
- My World, My Way (2001)
- Based on a True Story (2004)
- It Will All Make Sense Later (2018)
|1997||I'm Bout It||Vito "Silk" McKnight||Support Role|
|1998||I Got the Hook Up||Guy||Cameo Role|
|1998||MP da Last Don||D.J.||Support Role|
|1999||Hot Boyz||Kool||Main Role|
|1999||No Tomorrow||Himself||Cameo Role|
|2002||Undisputed||Gat Boyz Rapper 2||Cameo Role|
|2004||Still 'Bout It||Vito "Silk" McKnight||Support Role|
|2004||White Chicks||Himself||Cameo Role|
|2006||God's Gift||Man||Support Role|
|2006||Little Girl Blue: What's Become of You?||Ace Capone||Support Role|
|2010||Reservation||Drez England||Support Role|
|2015||More Money, More Family||Shawn||Main Role|
|2019||I Got the Hook Up 2||Shawn||Cameo Role|
|2020||Angola 1,2 & 3||Stokely Carmichael||Support Role|
- Madden, Sidney (June 18, 2016). "Happy Birthday, Silkk the Shocker!". XXL. Retrieved September 20, 2019.
Today (June 18), is the birthday of New Orleans rapper Silkk The Shocker, who turns 43.
- "Silkk The Shocker – All I Do Is Win (Freestyle) – HIPHOPNEWS24-7.COM". YouTube. 2007-07-18. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Silkk The Shocker - All I do is win Mixtape!!!! Download here - TruTankSoldiers.com - Master P, No Limit Records, TRU & More". Web.archive.org. October 27, 2010.
- Arnold, Paul W (2012-03-31). "Silkk The Shocker Reacts To Mystikal's Cash Money Signing, Compares C-Murder's Case To Trayvon Martin | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHopdx.com. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- "NO LIMIT FOREVER INTERNATIONAL TOUR - COMING IN 2011! UGHHH! Ft Master P, Silkk , Rome & more! - TTS - Master P, No Limit Records, TRU & No Limit Forever Records". Web.archive.org. January 26, 2011.
- "Silkk The Shocker on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "iTunes – Music – Don't Give Up – Single by Silkk the Shocker". iTunes. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Silkk The Shocker – Don't Give Up (Artist Commentary) | TruTankSoldiers.com - No Limit Forever Records". Web.archive.org. August 12, 2014.
- "We Ain't Even Trippin – Single by Silkk the Shocker on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2014-05-19. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "We Ain't Even Trippin – Single (Single) by Silkk the Shocker". Rhapsody.com. 2014-05-20. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Silkk The Shocker "THE RETURN" 2015 Promo Trailer". YouTube. 2015-03-23. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "AllHipHop.com: Hip-Hop News, Rumors, Music & Videos » Silkk The Shocker – "We Ain't Even Trippin"". Allhiphop.com:80. 2015-08-24. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Silkk The Shocker – We Aint Even Trippin". YouTube. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Business (feat. Blaqnmild) – Single by Silkk the Shocker on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2015-09-04. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Silkk The Shocker: Business (feat. Blaqnmild) – Single – Music on Google Play". 2015-09-04. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Business (feat. Blaqnmild) – Single (Single) by Silkk the Shocker". Rhapsody.com. 2015-08-21. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "More Money More Family Official Trailer". YouTube. 2013-11-06. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "More Money – More Family". YouTube. 2008-06-09. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "STORY". Web.archive.org. April 2, 2015.
- [dead link]
- "More Money More Family DVD 2014". Best Buy. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "More Money More Family (DVD + Digital Copy) (Widescreen)". Walmart.com. 2014-07-29. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- Strauss, Neil (May 13, 1998). "How a Gangsta Rapper Turns Entrepreneur; At 28, Master P Has Created One Of the Biggest Independent Labels". The New York Times.