|SimLife: The Genetic Playground|
|Designer(s)||Ken Karakotsios, Will Wright, Justin McCormick|
1992 (MS-DOS, Mac, Windows 3.x)
SimLife: The Genetic Playground is a computer game produced by Maxis in 1992. The concept of the game is to simulate an ecosystem; players may modify the genetics of the plants and animals that inhabit the virtual world. The point of this game is to experiment and create a self-sustaining ecosystem.
The producers of SimLife refer to it as "The Genetic Playground". The game allows users to explore the interaction of life-forms and environments. Users can manipulate the genetics of both plants and animals to determine whether these new species could survive in the Earth's various environments. Players can also create new worlds with distinctive environments to see how certain species (earth's species or their own) fare within them.
SimLife gives players the power to
- Create and modify worlds;
- Create and modify plants and animals at the genetic level;
- Design environments and ecosystems;
- Study genetics in action;
- Simulate and control evolution;
- Change the physics of the universe in your computer.
Computer Gaming World praised SimLife, stating that "By neatly bridging the gap between entertainment and education, SL brings the engrossing science of genetics within reach of any interested person". In 1993 the game received a Codie award from the Software Publishing Association for Best Simulation.
Games Finder gave Simlife: The Genetic Playground a score of 7 out of 10.
- Impossible Creatures
- L.O.L.: Lack of Love
- Seventh Cross: Evolution
- Evolution: The Game of Intelligent Life
- E.V.O.: Search for Eden
- "SimLife: The Genetic Playground At MobyGames".
- Eden, Maxwell (April 1993). "Last one in the gene pool is a...". Computer Gaming World. p. 56. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Awards - Thy Name Is Controversy". Computer Gaming World. May 1993. p. 146. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Simlife Genetic Playground Review - Games Finder".
|This life simulation game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|