From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up singularity in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Singularity or Singular points may refer to:
Science and technology
- Mathematical singularity, a point at which a given mathematical object is not defined or not "well-behaved", for example infinite or not differentiable
- Singular point of a curve, where the curve is not given by a smooth embedding of a parameter
- Singular point of an algebraic variety, a point where an algebraic variety is not locally flat
- Rational singularity, a concept in singularity theory
- Singularity theory, which deals with these concepts
- Essential singularity, a singularity near which a function exhibits extreme behavior
- Isolated singularity, a mathematical singularity that has no other singularities close to it
- Movable singularity, a concept in singularity theory
- Removable singularity, a point at which a function is not defined but at which it can be so defined that it is continuous at the singularity
- Gravitational singularity, a region in spacetime in which tidal gravitational forces become infinite.
- Initial singularity, the gravitational singularity of infinite density before quantum fluctuations that caused the Big Bang and subsequent inflation that created the Universe.
- Mechanical singularity, a position or configuration of a mechanism or a machine where the subsequent behavior cannot be predicted
- Penrose–Hawking singularity theorems, theorems in general relativity theory about when gravitation produces singularities such as black holes
- Prandtl–Glauert singularity, the point at which a sudden drop in air pressure occurs
- Singularity (climate), a weather phenomenon associated with a specific calendar date
- Van Hove singularity in the density of states of a material
- Singularity (operating system), an operating system developed by Microsoft Research written in managed code
- Technological singularity, a hypothetical moment in time when artificial intelligence will have progressed to the point of a greater-than-human intelligence
- Singularity Summit – the annual conference of the Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence.
- Temporal singularity, otherwise knows as a point of divergence, a concept in speculative fiction, usually an item or event triggered by an item that results in divergent narratives, in which the singularity alters the new timeline away from a prior "default" state, leaving behind a parallel universe in which the singularity did not occur. This is the basis of much of the Alternate history genre. It may involve technology in "hard" science fiction, or may involve anything up to or including magic as the basis of the "what if?" scenario.
- "Singularity" (Star Trek: Enterprise), a 2002 second-season episode of Star Trek: Enterprise
- "Singularity", a first-season episode of Stargate SG-1
- Singularity (film), a 2013 epic adventure film starring Josh Hartnett and Bipasha Basu
- Singularity is an upcoming film made by Roland Emmerich and Harald Kloser
- The Singularity Is Near, a 2010 docudrama; a true story about the future written and co-directed by Ray Kurzweil.
- Singularity (Mae album), 2007
- Singularity (Peter Hammill album), 2006
- Singularity (Robby Krieger album), 2010
- Singularity (Northlane album), 2013
- Singularity, album by electronic music band Lemaitre
- Singularity (Joe Morris album), 2001
- Singularity (song), by Bright Eyes, written by Conor Oberst
- "Singularity", a song from Dutch metal band Textures' 2011 album Dualism
- Singularity, a song by Chicago deathcore band, Born of Osiris from their 2011 album, The Discovery
- Singularity, a song by Steve Aoki & Angger Dimas featuring My Name Is Kay, 2013
- Singularity, a song by Tut Tut Child, 2013
- Singularity, a song by New Order, 2014
- The Singularity, a song by Doctor Steel, 2002
- Singularity (William Sleator novel), a 1985 science-fiction novel by William Sleator
- Singularity (Bill DeSmedt novel), a 2004 novel by Bill DeSmedt
- Singularity 7, a graphic novel by Ben Templesmith
- Singularity (audio drama), a Doctor Who audio drama
- Singularity (video game), a 2010 video game developed by Raven Software
- Endgame: Singularity, a 2005 video game
- Singularity University, is a California Benefit Corporation, part university, part think-tank, part business-incubator, based on Ray Kurzweil's theory of technological singularity.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Singularity.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.