St Helen's Church
|Population||149 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Skeffling is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, in an area known as Holderness. It is situated approximately 5 miles (8 km) south of the town of Withernsea and 4 miles (6.4 km) south-east of the village of Patrington on the B1445 road from Patrington to Easington.
The Greenwich Prime Zero meridian line passes through the village.
Among developments in Skefling has been the installation, by Eagle Power, of a 6 kW wind turbine on a free standing 15-metre (49 ft) mast. This was made possible with help from the BERR's Low Carbon Buildings Program, Langeled's Rural Communities Development Fund, DEFRA, Yorkshire Forward, Humber & Wolds Rural Community Council and with vital help and guidance from Karen Wood, the rural communities' officer from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.
The turbine was installed on 20 February 2007 and powers Skeffling Village Hall, with any excess is sold to the National Grid; the proceeds are used to help maintain and eventually replace the turbine. The decision to use renewable energy was made with long term sustainability in mind.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Skeffling Parish (1170211256)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Skeffling CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 20 May 2008.
- Historic England. "Church of St Helen (1161165)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Neave, David (2002) . Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: The Buildings of England (2nd ed.). Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-09593-7.
- "Community Project Case Study Wind turbine" (PDF). Department of Energy & Climate Change. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 May 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Skeffling.|
|This East Riding of Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|