This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Smart film, also called Switchable film, is a product that is capable of adjusting light transmission between transparent and opaque using AC power. Due to moisture sensitivity, earlier versions of the film were used only to make smart glass by lamination on glass. With continual improvement in moisture resistance, the new (3rd) generation of the film can be directly installed on existing windows with special glue or self-adhesive. It combines many functions, such as light adjustment, UV and infrared blocking, advertising and security.
Most of the film applications are via glass, acrylic or polycarbonate laminates, mainly having to do with the voltage (110VAC) required to operate the film. Companies continue to attempt various installation methods in order to use the film by itself without having to add the lamination cost.
One of the advantages of smart film is that it eliminates the need for blinds, shades or window treatments.
1. Without power the liquid crystal molecules (microdroplets) are disordered. This prevents light from penetrating the film, rendering it opaque.
2. When power is applied to the smart film the liquid crystal molecules are forced into alignment, rendering it transparent.
Environmental and energy-saving for green building material. It uses transparent or haze temperature control film, makes the smart film a haze state when the indoor temperature is high, when the light reduces, the smart film is in a translucent state; when the light is weak, the smart film is in a transparent state.
Smart film can be used as a switchable projection screen on a store window for advertising. 3G smart film is good for both front and rear projection and projected images can be viewed from both sides.
- Combines touch IR and control by voice commands and the product to give customers more choice.
- Combines full color LED tube
- Combines laser membrane and many translucent printing membranes.
- Combines the projector, effect of suspended particulate as transparent state.
- Combines multiple movies and advertise to appear in transparent glass.
- Combines with control system; upon all function can be used with smart film.
Examples of use
- In the office
- Applied to the glass enclosure of a conference room. When the glass is transparent, one can see into or out of the room, and when it is non-transparent it can be used as a projection screen.
- Energy-saving function of glass curtain wall
- Indoor decoration of up-scale residence
- Lighting cover glass curtain, sunshine house, living room and bathroom compartment. The glass is in a cloudy state when out of use, which protects privacy, and when it turns to transparent, one may fully bathed in sunshine.
- Product display and commercial advertisement
- Glass display window, protect the products when it is non-transparent, and may used for projection to introduce products; when it is transparent, it may be used for store advertising.
- Use for special occasions
- The glass door of a rest room is non-transparent when out of use, and immediately turns to a cloudy state when the door is closed.
- Glass floor and stairs on the second floor appear cloudy when walked upon, otherwise they are transparent.
- Privacy uses in hospitals, e.g., windows of infants' room and intensive care units, replacing curtains, to reduce dust and noise.
- Applied to dust-free rooms and cleaning rooms, smart films may be used to switch between transparent and non-transparent, and can reduce inconvenience for customers having to wear dust-free clothes passing in and out of the room.
New generations of smart film include low haze and colors that include: milky white, gray, and blue.