Solar Plexus (album)
|Compilation album by|
|Released||May 8, 2012|
|Producer||Don Jazzy (exec.)|
|Singles from Solar Plexus|
Solar Plexus is a compilation album released by Mavin Records on May 8, 2012. Produced entirely by Don Jazzy, the album comprises 13 tracks and was made available for free digital download. It contains solo tracks from D'Prince, Tiwa Savage, Wande Coal and Dr SID. The album's release coincided with the record label's launch date. Solar Plexus was supported by two singles: "Take Banana" and "Omo Ga". The album received generally negative reviews from music critics.
Background and singles
The album's recording sessions took place in Lagos at Mavin Records Studio. Solar Plexus was mixed and mastered by James "LeRock" Loughrey at Tardis Studios in the United Kingdom. Fans hoped for reconciliation between Don Jazzy and D'Banj, but weren't certain on the future of Mo' Hits Records. In the midst of this, Don Jazzy took to Twitter to announce the establishment of Mavin Records. He sought support from his fans, saying, "Please open up your hearts, lend us your ears, give us your love and support as always and let’s continue to entertain you". With the launch of the new label, it was further revealed that the album will be made available the next day. The album was available for free digital download on May 8. Fans started exchanging tweets and sharing links on where to download the album; they went about reciting lyrics and creating dance moves.
"Take Banana" was released as the album's lead single. The remix of the song was released as a single from D'Prince's debut studio album, Frenzy (2012). "Omo Ga" was released as the album's second single. The music video for the song was never released, although a teaser of it was released.
|Nigerian Entertainment Today|||
|Hip Hop World Magazine|||
Solar Plexus received negative reviews from music critics. James Silas of Hip Hop World Magazine gave the album 2 stars out of 5, adding, "In summary, I think the mix and mastering/finishing of this album is quite poor. Don Jazzy is a multi-award winning producer and his ingenuity is still unquestionable but I would want to assume that the haste to put out an album to officially unveil Mavin Records sort of affected the total composition of the project." Ogaga Sakapide of TooXclusive also assigned 2 stars out of 5 , stating, "Solar Plexus lacks the chemistry found on Mo’ Hits 2007 compilation album Curriculum Vitae...The album gives the impression of a hurriedly packaged work with so-so lyrics, ill-matched materials and several hit-miss moments, causing the overall LP to suffer heavily." A writer for Nigerian Sounds gave the album 6.8 stars out of 10, adding, "Don Jazzy on the other hand deserves a lot of credit for putting things behind him, and settling down to work, because music is something that needs a clear mind state to be created, but having come up with this “Solar Plexus” in 3 days, he is still in control, and is definitely a Mavin."
Wilfred Okiche, whose review was posted on 360Nobs, said, "Solar plexus comes across as a vanity project for Don Jazzy to prove he’s still got it after all that happened and unfortunately everyone else is relegated to second place. Chi Ibe of YNaija added, "Solar Plexus was a mistake. I shall therefore ignore it, and wait for Don Jazzy to take his time and produce a proper album worthy of his talent." Ayomide Tayo of Nigerian Entertainment Today assigned a score of 2 stars out of 5, saying, "Solar Plexus was supposed to be Don Jazzy’s grand statement that he still has the magic dust; unfortunately the plot falls apart before the first act. Solar Plexus is Don Jazzy’s weakest produced album of his sparkling career." Amb Noni of TayoTV gave the album 6 stars out of 10, adding, "I feel this was done in haste just to make people feel/know that he is still here. Don Jazzy is known for taking his time before releasing a song even D'banj said it, but this Album has “RUSHED” all over it."
|2.||"I'm a Mavin" (featuring Don Jazzy, Tiwa Savage, Dr SID, Wande Coal, and D'Prince)||Don Jazzy||5:19|
|3.||"Oma Ga" (featuring Tiwa Savage)||Don Jazzy||3:31|
|4.||"YOLO" (featuring Dr SID)||Don Jazzy||3:31|
|5.||"See Me Ri" (featuring Wande Coal)||Don Jazzy||3:27|
|6.||"Take Banana" (featuring D'Prince)||Don Jazzy||3:13|
|7.||"C.P.R (Kiss of Life)" (featuring Dr SID)||Don Jazzy||4:06|
|8.||"Forever" (featuring Wande Coal)||Don Jazzy||4:19|
|9.||"Why You Over There" (featuring D'Prince)||Don Jazzy||3:24|
|10.||"Chocolate" (featuring Dr SID)||Don Jazzy||3:26|
|11.||"Pretty Girls" (featuring Wande Coal)||Don Jazzy||3:26|
|12.||"Amarachi" (featuring D'Prince)||Don Jazzy||3:13|
- Michael Collins Ajereh - Executive producer, creative director, writer, producer
- Tiwatope Savage - Primary artist, writer
- Sidney Onoriode Esiri - Primary artist, writer
- Oluwatobi Wande Ojosipe - Primary artist, writer
- Charles Enebeli - Primary artist, writer
- Towa Ojosipe - Writer
- James 'Lerock' Loughrey - Mixing engineer
|Nigeria||May 8, 2012||CD, Digital download||Mavin Records|
- Nyingifa Theodore (16 October 2013). "New Music- Solar Plexus By Mavin Records Allstars". Pulse Nigeria. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- "DISCOGRAPHY of James 'Lerock' Loughrey". Kick-Ass Productions. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Industry Moves: Don Jazzy Makes NBA Thunder Move, Launches Mavin Records, Picks #WINNING Team – Tiwa Savage, Wande Coal, Dr. Sid, D'Prince". Africanmusiclaw. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Take Banana Till You Go Yo! Watch D'Prince's Smashing New Video for "Take Banana Remix"". Bellanaija. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "BN Exclusive: Tiwa Savage Gets Gangsta for "Oma Ga"! Watch the Teaser for Her New Music Video". Bellanaija. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Video Teaser: Tiwa Savage – Oma Ga". 360nobs. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Critical Album Breakdown:- Mavin Records All Stars - Solar Plexus [Album Review]". Nigeriansounds. Archived from the original on 24 May 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "[Review] Mavin - Solar Plexus". TayoTv. Archived from the original on 11 May 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "ALBUM REVIEW: MAVIN RECORDS 'SOLAR PLEXUS'". tooxclusive. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Solar Plexus [Album Review]". TheNetNigeria. Archived from the original on 24 October 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "MAVIN ALL STARS – SOLAR PLEXUS [Album Review]". HipHopWorldMagazine. Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Where Are The Mavins?- 'Solar Plexus' Album Review". 360nobs. Archived from the original on 5 June 2015. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Album Review: Shall we say the truth about Don Jazzy's 'Solar Plexus'?". YNaija. Retrieved 20 October 2013.