South Bend Township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
South Bend Township, Pennsylvania
Fields and hills along Pennsylvania Route 56
Map of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania highlighting South Bend Township
Map of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||22.61 sq mi (58.55 km2)|
|• Land||22.54 sq mi (58.36 km2)|
|• Water||0.07 sq mi (0.18 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||50.14/sq mi (19.36/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
South Bend Township is located in southeastern Armstrong County, along the border with Indiana County. It includes the small unincorporated community of South Bend, located within a bend of Crooked Creek, which flows westward through the township towards the Allegheny River.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 22.6 square miles (58.5 km2), of which 22.5 square miles (58.4 km2) is land and 0.077 square miles (0.2 km2), or 0.31%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,259 people, 468 households, and 374 families residing in the township. The population density was 55.6 people per square mile (21.5/km²). There were 523 housing units at an average density of 23.1/sq mi (8.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 99.68% White, 0.08% African American, 0.08% Native American, and 0.16% from two or more races.
There were 468 households, out of which 32.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.9% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.9% were non-families. 17.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 6.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.02.
The township median age of 37 years was significantly less than the county median age of 40 years. The distribution by age group was 24.3% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 30.2% from 25 to 44, 26.9% from 45 to 64, and 9.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 94.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $32,188, and the median income for a family was $34,519. Males had a median income of $30,396 versus $19,659 for females. The per capita income for the township was $14,728. About 10.2% of families and 13.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.9% of those under age 18 and 1.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): South Bend township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 10, 2020. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Atlas of Armstrong County Pennsylvania, page 66". Pomeroy, Whitman & Co. 1876. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Robert Walter Smith (1883). "History of Armstrong County Pennsylvania, Chapter 18, page 394". Chicago: Waterman, Watkins. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Montgomery Family Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Olivet Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Rupert Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "South Bend Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.