|Birth name||Ryan Michael Peters|
|Also known as||Spizzy Spose
July 1, 1985 |
Portland, Maine, U.S.
|Origin||Wells, Maine, U.S.|
|Labels||Frothy Four Records
Universal Republic (former)
P. Dank LLC
|Associated acts||Cam Groves, Chris Webby, Essence, Kristina Kentigian, Mac Lethal, Ock Cousteau, Shane Reis, Stiky-1, Watsky|
Peters was born in Portland, Maine. He grew up in Wells, Maine, where he started a rock band called The Frothy Four. Although he began rapping in eighth grade, he did not pursue it as a career until after he graduated from Wells High School in 2004.
In 2007, Spose self-released his first album, Preposterously Dank. In January 2010, his single, "I'm Awesome" (from his We Smoked it All mixtape), received airplay on Maine radio stations. In February 2010, after the song caught on in other parts of the United States, Spose signed a record deal with Universal Republic Records and announced that he would begin working on a music video. In March 2010, the video was filmed in Wells at the town-owned activity center where Spose had had his first concert at the age of 14. The video was released on April 14, 2010. "I'm Awesome" peaked at #37 on the Billboard Hot 100.
On October 25, 2010, Spose announced through a series of Facebook posts (which were linked to Twitter) that he felt that We Smoked It All Vol. 2 had too many original songs to be considered a mixtape. Partially because of this, he decided to create a "project" titled Happy Medium with many original songs that were originally supposed to be on We Smoked It All Vol. 2, in addition to other material. He also said that new songs from Happy Medium would be released at 4:20 PM Eastern Time every Wednesday up until the release of "Happy Medium."
On December 17, 2010, Spose released the entirety of Happy Medium for streaming on his Facebook page. The physical album was released in Bull Moose music stores in late December 2010, and has been released on iTunes in January 2011. On January 31, 2011, he announced that he would release The Peter Sparker Mixtape later that year, before The Audacity! or We Smoked It All Vol. 2. However, on March 14, he posted that We Smoked It All Vol.2 would be released on April 20, 2011, before either The Peter Sparker Mixtape or The Audacity!.
We Smoked It All Vol. 2 was released on April 20, 2011 at midnight. Spose has also been featured in "Red Cup (I Fly Solo)" by Cash Cash and "Better Side of Me" by Sparks the Rescue. Spose announced in an interview with 92.3 Now that he had left Universal Republic Records. He began The Audacity! from scratch. In January 2012, "I'm Awesome" became the theme to the comedy series Mr. D.
Spose released the music video for his single "Pop Song" on February 22, 2012 and announced that The Audacity! will be released on April 17, 2012. Spose's third album The Audacity!, was released on April 16, 2012 on iTunes. On October 24, 2012, Spose paid for a fundraiser on kickstarter to raise $25,000 to help further fund his rapping career. Once funded, Spose released Dankonia for free in 2013. The Yard Sale was successfully crowdfunded through Kickstarter as of November 23, 2012, raising $28,147, and released on October 24, 2012.
The Peter Sparker Mixtape was released as a free download On June 10, 2013. A Deluxe physical copy can be found at bullmoose.com. Dankonia, a mixtape entirely over Outkast instrumentals (with other connections to Outkast, such as the album title, named after Stankonia, which also shares the same release date as Dankonia) was released for free on October 31, 2013. A physical copy was released in limited numbers on bullmoose.com on November 5, and the Almost Complete Lyrics Book was released on November 29, also on the BullMoose website.
Spose released his fourth studio album Why Am I So Happy in 2015.
- Studio albums
- Collaboration albums
- We Smoked It All Vol. 3: The Album (with Cam Groves)
- Compilation albums
- The Yard Sale (2012)
- We Smoked It All (2009) (with Cam Groves)
- We Smoked It All Vol. 2 (2011) (with Cam Groves)
- The Peter Sparker Mixtape (2013)
- Dankonia (2013)
- Live albums
- Spose Unplugged (2013)
|US||US Pop Songs||US R&B|
|2010||"I'm Awesome"||37||36||—||US: Gold||We Smoked It All|
|2010||"We Hate Money"||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or have yet to chart.|
- "Frothy Four Records (Label/ Brand) | Store". Underground Hip Hop. 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Spose : The Official Site Of P. Dank Entertainment". Pdank.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Spose - Preposterously Dank Interview". MySpace. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- Bodnar, Steve (18 March 2010). "Wells rapper lands record deal". York County Coast Star.
- Pfeifle, Sam (3 March 2010). "The most famous rapper from Wells signs with Universal". Portland Phoenix.
- Bouchard, Stephanie (3 March 2010). "Local rapper gets major label record deal". Portland Press Herald.
- Desveaux, Marcus (2009-10-26). "CD Review: Spose and Cam Groves — "We Smoked It All Mixtape" – The Maine Campus". Mainecampus.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- Bodnar, Steve (25 March 2010). "Rapper Spose comes home to make 'Awesome' video in Wells". York County Coast Star.
- "Spose - I'm Awesome (official video)". YouTube. 2010-04-14. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Rapper Spose Talks Unemployment". 92.3 NOW. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- They mostly were. However, there were a few exceptions that were posted the next day, at a later time, or not posted at all.Niet compatibele browser | Facebook
- SposeBandPageTijdlijnInfo. "Niet compatibele browser". Facebook. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Niet compatibele browser". Facebook. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Gold & Platinum - Search Results: Spose". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2010-10-24.