St Stephen's Green station
Green Line terminus on Stephen's Green West
Republic of Ireland
|Line(s)||1 (Luas Green line)|
|30 June 2004||Station opened|
|2016||Station upgrade planned|
|2017||Luas Cross City service expected to commence|
Since the opening of the Luas Green Line in 2004, St Stephen's Green station has served as the northern terminus of the line to Sandyford. The stop is located on the western side of St Stephen's Green, and is the closest point between the Luas Green Line and Red Line.
Cross city line
|Luas Cross City Green Line extension|
An extension of the Luas Green Line is planned to cross the River Liffey, and intersect with the Red Line at the junction between O'Connell Street and Abbey Street and terminate at Broombridge (in Cabra) to interconnect with the Irish Rail Broombridge railway station. Named the "Luas Cross City line", this project was announced in 2011 as part of the government's 2012–16 Infrastructure and Capital Investment Plan. Construction work for the Rosie Hackett Bridge across the River Liffey began in April 2012, and this bridge is planned to carry the southbound Luas Cross City track. A Railway Order was granted by ABP for the Cross City line on 3 August 2012, and work began in 2013. The existing St. Stephen's Green terminus stop on the Luas Green Line is planned to be the through-point for the new line, and the stop's platforms are to be extended to accommodate the possible introduction of longer trams in the future. The new line is planned to open in 2017, and the St. Stephen's Green stop is expected to remain operational throughout the work.
Plans for the proposed Dublin Metro called for St Stephen's Green to be used as the southern terminus of a line to Belinstown. These plans included a deep-bore tunnel for the north-western corner of the park. While early plans expected this station to open in 2013, they were subsequently indefinitely deferred. Similar plans for a DART network extension proposed an underground stop at St Stephen's Green. Though planned to start in 2015, these works were also deferred.
|Preceding station||Luas||Following station|
towards Bride's Glen
towards Bride's Glen
- LUAS St.Stephen's Green website
- LUAS Cross City line
- "Infrastructure and Capital Investment 2012–16". Department of Public Expenditure and Reform. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- "Do we need €15m Liffey bridge?". Evening Herald. 28 April 2012.
- "Green light given to Luas link-up, first passengers 2017". RTÉ. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Metro North, DART underground plans shelved". RTÉ News. 10 November 2011.
- Metro Airport / Swords (Metro North)
- "Government cancels Metro North and Dart underground plans". Thejournal.ie. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Proposed station at St Stephen's Green[dubious ]