State of Decay 2
|State of Decay 2|
|Publisher(s)||Xbox Game Studios|
|Series||State of Decay|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Release||May 22, 2018|
State of Decay 2 is a survival video game developed by Undead Labs and published by Xbox Game Studios. The game is a followup to State of Decay and was released for Windows and Xbox One on May 22, 2018. Like its predecessor, players are required to build a community, manage resources and survive against the horde of zombies.
State of Decay 2 received mixed reviews from critics, who praised its difficulty, musical score and combat, but criticized the technical issues and the lack of depth in the survival and management mechanics. The game had over 10 million players by August 2021. A sequel, State of Decay 3, is under development.
State of Decay 2 is a zombie survival game, with an emphasis on scavenging for items, in which gameplay is experienced from a third-person view. The game is set in an open world environment and features cooperative gameplay with up to three other players. The player can choose from several locations to build a base, then reinforce and improve it with various facilities like watch towers, gardens, sleeping quarters, kitchens, workshops, medical bays, etc. to help keep survivors safe and healthy. Part of the game is balancing the use of resources: food, medicine, ammo and construction materials. They can be obtained by scavenging or trading with NPCs. The player can interact with survivors outside of their group: trading with them, helping them or recruiting them. Only one survivor can be controlled at a time, though the player can ask an AI-controlled survivor to accompany them, and in certain missions, one or more AI-controlled survivors will accompany the player. Cooperative multiplayer is also available allowing to player to recruit a friend to temporarily join their game to assist them with objectives.
Each character has a fixed set of "traits" which give them advantages or flaws (such as tire out more easily, or can improve a certain skill faster). Except for the story-related characters, most characters can be assigned to survivor groups and be recruited. Each character also has an "attitude" parameter, affected by game events (a near death experience, death of another character, or having accomplished a difficult task). These attitudes can affect their behaviors, sometimes requiring player intervention. Zombies are the main threat in the game. They respawn infinitely (unless the player establishes an outpost, which prevents spawns in their vicinity), are attracted to noise, and are capable of sprinting nearly as fast as the characters. The player can choose to confront them directly, use stealth to sneak past them, or divert them using items like firecrackers. In addition, there are special types of zombies, such as the animal-like "Ferals" or the tank-like "Juggernauts" that are quite dangerous in one-on-one confrontations. Besides walking, the player has access to several types of cars, each with its own characteristics like maneuverability and speed. All vehicles can be damaged and destroyed when running over zombies or hitting obstacles.
Development and release
State of Decay 2 is developed by Undead Labs and published by Microsoft Studios. The game was developed using Unreal Engine 4. The game was announced on June 13, 2016, at Microsoft's E3 Xbox briefing. The game was scheduled to be released in 2017 for Windows 10 and the Xbox One video game console. At Microsoft's E3 2017 Xbox briefing, it was announced that the game would release in Spring 2018. Additionally, the game will also be available to play at no cost to Xbox Game Pass subscribers at the game's release, as with all forthcoming Microsoft Studios titles. State of Decay will also be sold as an Xbox Play-Anywhere title, as well as cross-play support between Windows 10 and Xbox players.
On September 12, 2018 the Daybreak DLC pack was released. This DLC added a new game mode in which the objective is to protect an objective whilst facing waves of increasingly difficult enemies. Rewards earned within the Daybreak game mode can be used within the standard game mode allowing access to exclusive gear and characters. On June 11, 2019, a new expansion pack for the game, Heartland, was released, featuring new missions, characters and new enemy types. The expansion is set in Trumbull Valley, the setting of the first game. On March 13th, 2020 the Juggernaut edition was released as both a standalone game and as a free update to people who already had the original game. This version primarily featured a graphical overhaul and different lighting schemes, along with a new map named Providence Ridge, a former logging town with much more pronounced elevation changes and twisty roads. On August 2nd, 2021 a new feature named "plague territory" was added. Along with new added features such as the ability to add a sidearm, plague territory now enables plague hearts to "claim" nearby buildings and bases in its vicinity. These areas have a higher population of plague zombies. Bases and outposts within plague territory cannot be claimed until the plague heart controlling the area is eradicated. On the September 1st, 2021 the Homecoming Update was released and features a host of quality of life improvements (including a higher ammo count for one inventory slot, a revamped gun HUD, and vehicles now keep their headlights on after exiting to illuminate dark areas) along with a new playable map Trumbull Valley remastered from the original game.
|PC Gamer (US)||74/100|
State of Decay 2 received "mixed or average" reviews, according to review aggregator Metacritic. Alessandro Barbosa of GameSpot gave State of Decay 2 a 5/10, enjoying the satisfying combat but taking issue with the lack of depth in its survival systems and the amount of bugs; he felt that "State of Decay 2 sometimes feels like a far-too-real representation of the mundane reality that comes with surviving a zombie apocalypse." Dan Stapleton of IGN also disliked the game's bugs and lack of depth, particularly with the board-game-style management. However, he praised the combat, calling it "simple but satisfying", and the variety of zombies and the persistent fear of permanent death; he awarded it a 7.5/10.
In May 2018, Microsoft announced that the game had over a million players since its release, and on June 4, 2018 that mark had exceeded 2 million players. In June 2018, it was announced that State of Decay 2 exceeded 3 million players, and by August 2019 it surpassed 5 million. In August 2021, it was announced the game had surpassed 10 million players.
The game was nominated for Best Add-on/DLC for Daybreak at Gamescom 2018, and for Best Co-Operative Game and at the Xbox Game of the Year at the 2018 Golden Joystick Awards. A sequel, State of Decay 3, was announced in July 2020.
- Reynolds, Matthew (June 13, 2016). "State of Decay 2 is coming to Xbox One and Windows 10 in 2017". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- Newhouse, Alex; Fillari, Alessandro (June 11, 2017). "E3 2017: State Of Decay 2 Release Date Announced; Xbox One And Windows 10 Exclusive". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved December 16, 2017.
- McCaffrey, Ryan (June 13, 2016). "E3 2016: State of Decay 2 Is 4-Player Co-op, Isn't an MMO". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- Phil Spencer (January 23, 2018). "Xbox Game Pass Expands To Include New Releases From Microsoft Studios". news.xbox.com. Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- Ponder, Stacie (September 14, 2018). "State of Decay 2's Daybreak DLC Is Fun But Fleeting". Kotaku. Retrieved July 28, 2019.
- Marshall, Cass (June 10, 2019). "State of Decay 2's Heartland is harder, but serves up a stronger narrative". Polygon. Retrieved July 28, 2019.
- "State Of Decay 2: Homecoming DLC Remasters First Game's Map, Launches On September 1 For Free".
- "Update 26 - Homecoming". Undead Labs.
- "State of Decay 2 for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved May 19, 2018.
- "State of Decay 2 for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved March 1, 2019.
- Porreca, Ray (May 17, 2018). "Review: State of Decay 2". Destructoid. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Patterson, Mollie L. (May 17, 2018). "State of Decay 2 review". EGMNow. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Cork, Jeff (May 17, 2018). "A Plague On Multiple Fronts - State of Decay 2 - Xbox One". Game Informer. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Faulkner, Jason (May 17, 2018). "State of Decay 2 Review – Rigor Mortis". Game Revolution. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Barbosa, Alessandro (May 17, 2018). "State Of Decay 2 Review: The Limping Dead". GameSpot. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Avard, Alex (May 17, 2018). "State of Decay 2 review: "A potent reminder of why the undead continue to be such a rich source for interactive entertainment"". GamesRadar+. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Stapleton, Dan (May 17, 2018). "State of Decay 2 Review". IGN. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Hatfield, Tom (May 17, 2018). "State of Decay 2 review". PC Gamer. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Bell, Alice (May 17, 2018). "State of Decay 2 review". VideoGamer.com. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Evans-Thirlwell, Edward (May 18, 2018). "State of Decay 2 review - a soggy open-world loot-'em-up with catastrophic bugs". Eurogamer. Retrieved October 3, 2021.
- Greenberg, Aaron; Manager, General; Marketing, Xbox Games (May 25, 2018). "State of Decay 2 Breaks Record with Over 1 Million Players in First Two Days of Global Release". Xbox Wire.
- Greenberg, Aaron; Manager, General; Marketing, Xbox Games (June 4, 2018). "State of Decay 2 Exceeds 2 Million Players in Less Than Two Weeks". Xbox Wire.
- "State of Decay 2 Celebrates 3 Million Players with Today's Release of the Independence Pack". Xbox Wire. June 28, 2018.
- Madan, Asher (August 12, 2019). "State of Decay 2 is at its highest player count ever, new content coming". Windows Central. Windows Central. Archived from the original on August 13, 2019. Retrieved October 25, 2019.
- Keane, Sean (August 22, 2018). "Gamescom 2018 award winners include Marvel's Spider-Man, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate". CNET. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- Hoggins, Tom (September 24, 2018). "Golden Joysticks 2018 nominees announced, voting open now". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- Sheridan, Connor (November 16, 2018). "Golden Joystick Awards 2018 winners: God of War wins big but Fortnite gets Victory Royale". GamesRadar+. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- Phillips, Tom (July 23, 2020). "State of Decay 3 Announced". Eurogamer. Retrieved July 23, 2020.