Staten Island Light
|Location||New York City|
|Year first lit||1912|
|Markings / pattern||Natural|
|Height||90 feet (27 m)|
|Focal height||231 feet (70 m)|
|Original lens||Second Order Fresnel lens|
|Range||18 nautical miles (33 km; 21 mi)|
|Characteristic||Fixed White (F W) (lit 24 hours, visible only on range)|
|ARLHS number||USA-809 |
Staten Island Light
|Location||S side of Edinboro Rd., bet. 402 and 426, Richmond County, New York|
|Area||less than one acre|
|MPS||Light Stations of the United States MPS|
|NRHP reference #||05001340|
|Added to NRHP||November 30, 2005|
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places, New York City Landmark|
The Staten Island Range Light, also known as the Ambrose Channel Range Light, is the rear range light companion to the West Bank Lighthouse. The 90-foot tower sits more than five miles northwest of the West Bank Lighthouse, on Staten Island’s Richmond Hill (Lighthouse Hill), 141 feet above sea level. It shows a fixed white light that can be seen for 18 miles (on range only).
It was designated a New York City Landmark in 1968 and remains a valuable aid to navigation for ships entering the Ambrose Channel in Lower New York Bay. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
- List of New York City Designated Landmarks in Staten Island
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Richmond County, New York
- "Staten Island Lighthouse". US Coast Guard Aids to Navigation Team, NY. Retrieved 2009-07-13.
- ARLHS World List of Lights
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Staten Island Range Lighthouse, New York at Lighthousefriends.com
- National Lighthouse Museum - Staten Island Lighthouse
- Lighthouse Friends site (photo)
- National Lighthouse Museum (photo)
- USCG list of Fresnel lenses still in operation December 2008
- Coast Guard list of Lighthouses
- Coast Guard list of assets
- National Park Service's Maritime Heritage Program's Inventory of Historic Light Stations
- National Park Service's Maritime Heritage Program's Inventory of NY Historic Light Stations