Steve Davis (umpire)
|Full name||Stephen James Davis|
9 April 1952|
|Tests umpired||57 (1997–2015)|
|ODIs umpired||137 (1992–2015)|
|T20Is umpired||26 (2007–2014)|
|FC umpired||129 (1990–present)|
|LA umpired||176 (1991–present)|
|T20 umpired||35 (2007–present)|
Source: CricketArchive, 19 December 2013
Davis' first Test match was between Australia and New Zealand at Hobart on 27 November to 1 December 1997, a rain-affected match in which the last two New Zealand batsman held on to deny victory to Australia.
Since 2002 both umpires in Test matches have been appointed from non-participating nations, by the International Cricket Council. This resulted in his last Test match involving Australia to be against New Zealand at Hobart on 22 November to 26 November 2001, a rain-affected draw. Davis suffered a knee injury and was replaced after the second day by local umpire John Smeaton.
Davis officiated in 3 matches in the 2007 Cricket World Cup, which led to his promotion to the Elite Panel of ICC Umpires in 2008.
On 3 March 2009, Davis was one of the officials caught in the attack on the Sri Lanka cricket team by terrorists in Lahore, Pakistan. In the aftermath, he and his colleagues, Simon Taufel and Chris Broad, were critical of the Pakistan security forces' response to the incident.
On 9 March 2011 Davis umpired his 100th one day international when standing at the World Cup group game between India and Netherlands at the Feroz Shah Kotla in New Delhi.
He was selected as one of the twenty umpires to stand in matches during the 2015 Cricket World Cup. In May 2015, Davis announced his retirement following the conclusion of the ODI series between England and New Zealand. On 17 June 2015 he stood in his last match, England vs. New Zealand at Trent Bridge, Nottingham.
International umpiring statistics
As of 18 June 2015:
|Tests||Australia v New Zealand at Hobart, November 1997||West Indies v England at St. George's, April 2015||57|
|ODIs||Pakistan v West Indies at Adelaide, December 1992||New Zealand v England at Trent Bridge, June 2015||137|
|T20Is||Pakistan v Scotland at Durban, September 2007||England v Netherlands at Chittagong, March 2014||26|
- List of Test cricket umpires
- List of One Day International cricket umpires
- List of Twenty20 International cricket umpires
- Cricinfo. "Asoka de Silva and Steve Davis promoted to Elite Panel". Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Cricinfo. "Umpires stunned, upset and relieved after Pakistan ordeal". Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "ICC announces match officials for ICC Cricket World Cup 2015". ICC Cricket. 2 December 2014. Archived from the original on 30 March 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Umpire Steve Davis retires after 25-year career". ESPN Cricinfo. 2 June 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Shemilt, Stephen (17 June 2015). "England v New Zealand: Root & Morgan lead record run chase". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 18 June 2015.