Stockton South (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Stockton South in Cleveland.
Location of Cleveland within England.
|County||County Durham, North Yorkshire|
|Electorate||74,521 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Stockton-on-Tees, Thornaby-on-Tees, Yarm, Ingleby Barwick and Eaglescliffe|
|Member of parliament||James Wharton (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Stockton-on-Tees, Thornaby, Easington and Richmond (Yorks)|
|European Parliament constituency||North East England|
1983-1997: The Borough of Stockton-on-Tees wards of Bishopsgarth, Egglescliffe, Fairfield, Grangefield, Hartburn, Ingleby Barwick, Mandale, Parkfield, Preston, Stainsby, Victoria, Village, and Yarm, and the Borough of Middlesbrough wards of Ayresome, Brookfield, and Kader.
1997-2010: The Borough of Stockton-on-Tees wards of Bishopsgarth, Egglescliffe, Elm Tree, Fairfield, Grangefield, Hartburn, Ingleby Barwick, Mandale, Parkfield, Preston, Stainsby, Victoria, Village, and Yarm.
2010-present: The Borough of Stockton-on-Tees wards of Bishopsgarth and Elm Tree, Eaglescliffe, Fairfield, Grangefield, Hartburn, Ingleby Barwick East, Ingleby Barwick West, Mandale and Victoria, Parkfield and Oxbridge, Stainsby Hill, Village, and Yarm.
Stockton South consists of the south-western half of Stockton-on-Tees and on the same bank, upstream, the town of Eaglescliffe – on the southern bank of the River Tees are the towns of Thornaby-on-Tees, Yarm, and Ingleby Barwick.
- Political history
More "middle-class" than neighbouring Stockton North, and first held by the former SDP-Liberal Alliance very narrowly in 1983, then by a Conservative from 1987 for the next ten years, the seat acted as a bellwether in Labour's landslide in 1997 and its member Dari Taylor retained until the 2010 general election when the Conservative, James Wharton narrowly won the seat. It was the Conservative Party's only gain in the North East.
Workless claimants, registered jobseekers, were in November 2012 lower than the North East average of 5.7% but higher than the national average of 3.8%, at 4.5% of the population based on a statistical compilation by The Guardian.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Stockton South|
|Liberal Democrat||Drew Durning||1,366||2.6||-12.5|
|General Election 2010: Stockton South|
|Liberal Democrat||Jacquie Bell||7,600||15.1||−1.0|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||−7.0|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Stockton South|
|Liberal Democrat||Mike Barker||7,171||16.0||+2.4|
|General Election 2001: Stockton South|
|Liberal Democrat||Suzanne Fletcher||6,012||13.6||+4.5|
|Socialist Alliance||Lawrence Coombes||455||1.0||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Stockton South|
|Liberal Democrat||Peter Monck||4,721||9.2||−5.8|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing|
|General Election 1992: Stockton South|
|Labour||John McKie Scott||25,049||39.8||+8.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Kay R. Kirkham||9,410||15.0||−18.8|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Stockton South|
|Social Democratic||Ian Wrigglesworth||20,059||33.7||−3.1|
|Labour||John McKie Scott||18,600||31.3||+5.0|
|Conservative gain from Social Democratic||Swing|
|General Election 1983: Stockton South|
|Social Democratic||Ian Wrigglesworth||19,550||36.8||N/A|
|Social Democratic win (new seat)|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Cleveland
- Opinion polling for the next United Kingdom general election in individual constituencies
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Stockton South', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 5)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Stockton South". BBC News. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.