Official release poster
|Directed by||Max Giwa
|Produced by||James Richardson|
|Written by||Jane English|
Jocelyn Jee Esien
|Music by||Lloyd Perrin|
|Edited by||Tim Murrell|
|Distributed by||Vertigo Films
|Box office||£11 million|
StreetDance 3D (also called StreetDance in the non-3D version) is a 2010 British 3D dance drama film which was released on 21 May 2010. The film was released in RealD 3D, XpanD 3D, and Dolby 3D with Max Giwa and Dania Pasquini directing it. Britain's Got Talent stars George Sampson, Diversity and Flawless made their debut appearances to the big screen. The soundtrack to the film was written and performed by alternative acts N-Dubz, Tinie Tempah, Lightbulb Thieves, and Chipmunk. The film is a production of Vertigo Films in association with BBC Films. N-Dubz composed the official soundtrack. The song "We Dance On", featuring Bodyrox, was sent to music stations on 22 April. On 28 May 2012, Phase 4 Films has acquired the US rights for the film, along with its sequel, StreetDance 2. Streetdance 2 was released on 30 March 2012.
In inner city London, a street dance crew is on the verge of breaking up after its leader, Jay (Ukweli Roach), leaves the group unexpectedly. The group loses the use of their rehearsal space, forcing them to try to raise money or practice in other locations. Eventually they secure a space in a ballet school, on the condition that they include five ballet dancers in their routine. At first, they struggle to get along, but they all become friends in the end.
One of the teachers at the ballet school, Helena (Charlotte Rampling), takes Carly (Nichola Burley) to a ballet where she starts getting ideas for their routine. When she arrives home, Carly finds Jay waiting for her and the two spend the night having sex. During a dance battle in a club the next night, the team learn that Jay has betrayed the team by joining The Surge, a rival crew. Jay brags about his sex with Carly and Tomas (Richard Winsor), a ballet dancer, punches Jay out of anger. Jay is furious and swears revenge. Carly, upset over the betrayal, leaves the club and is nearly hit by a car before Tomas pulls her out of the way. Tomas then takes Carly back to his apartment where they dance on the roof, eventually kissing. Carly then leaves him alone on the roof, while they both look at the sunrise and smile.
The next day at the school, Carly announces the new name of their dance crew: Breakin Point. Another teacher at the school, outraged that her students are being corrupted, deliberately plans a Royal Ballet audition for the same day as the street dance finals. The ballet dancers promise Carly they will make it, but the auditions were running overtime.
In an attempt to give Breakin Point more time to wait for the ballet dancers, Carly's friend Eddie (George Sampson) goes out onto the dance floor and starts dancing, surprising the crew and wowing the audience. The ballet team turn up at the final anyway, and their teacher Helena drives the Royal Ballet judges to the streetdancing final so they can see the dancers perform. The routine is a success, Carly and Tomas kiss during the performance, and the crowd is enthralled. Jay is furious that The Surge have been beaten and he's lost Carly.
- Nichola Burley as Carly
- Richard Winsor as Tomas
- Ukweli Roach as Jay
- Frank Harper as Fred
- George Sampson as Eddie
- Charlotte Rampling as Helena
- Eleanor Bron as Madame Fluerie
- Patrick Baladi as Mr Harding
- Teneisha Bonner as Shawna
- Lex Milczarek as Boogie
- Kofi Agyemang-Prempeh as Mac
- Hugo Cortes as Gabe
- Sianad Gregory as Chloe
- Jennifer Leung as Bex
- Rachel McDowall as Isabella
- Rhimes Lecointe as Justine
- Sacha Chang as Aimee
- Bradley Charles as Frankie
- Lil Steph as Steph
- Brooke Milliner as Brooke
- Jeremy Sheffield as Michael
- Flawless as The Surge
- Ashley Banjo as Aaron
- Diversity as Aaron's Crew
- Jordan Long as Security Guard
- Jocelyn Jee Esien as Delilah (Shawna's boss)
- Tameka Empson as Sharonda (Shawna colleague)
- Akai Osei-Mansfield as Dancing Kid in Shopping Mall
- Leigh Alderson as a Featured Dancer
- Babbal Kumar as dark dancer
- Kyle Davey as a Featured Dancer
- Brendan Conway as an Audience Dancer
StreetDance 3D filmed from August–December 2009. The film was shot with Paradise FX's Tri Delta camera systems. Max Penner (CTO of Paradise FX) was the stereographer. This film was also the launch of Paradise FX Europe. It was filmed on location, the shopping centre scene was filmed in Southside Shopping Centre and the streetdance competition was filmed in the Battersea Power Station. There is a scene featuring Akai Osei from Got to Dance which was filmed in September 2009. Charlie Bruce from So You Think You Can Dance also appears in the film, but her scenes were cut. N-Dubz composed the official soundtrack. The song "We Dance On", featuring Bodyrox, was sent to music stations on 22 April. On 28 May 2012, Phase 4 Films has acquired the US rights for the film, along with its sequel, StreetDance 2. Streetdance 2 was released on 30 March 2012.
The film received some positive reviews and has a 77% "fresh" rating from Rotten Tomatoes However the film was #1 for only one week in the U.K. after making £2,273,938 in box office,. The film's box-office earnings after their theatrical run was $17,695,464. It was the biggest UK release in 2010 beating Robin Hood and Prince of Persia.
|StreetDance (Music From & Inspired by the Original Motion Picture)|
|Soundtrack album by Various Artists|
|Released||10 May 2010 (Digital download)
24 May 2010 (Physical CD)
|Genre||Hip Hop, R&B, Electro|
|Label||Universal Music TV|
|Singles from StreetDance (Music From & Inspired by the Original Motion Picture)|
- Tinie Tempah feat. Labrinth - Pass Out
- N-Dubz feat. Bodyrox - We Dance On
- Lightbulb Thieves - Work It Out
- Ironik - Tiny Dancer (Hold Me Closer)
- N-Dubz - Strong Again
- Pixie Lott - Live for the Moment
- Aggro Santos feat. Kimberly Wyatt - Candy
- Cheryl Cole - Fight for This Love
- Lethal Bizzle - Going Out Tonight
- Sugababes - Get Sexy
- LP & JC - The Humblest Start
- Wiley - Cash In My Pocket
- Madcon - Beggin'
- LP & JC feat. Skibadee, Mc Det, and Chrome & Blemish - Club Battle
- Fatboy Slim - Champion Sound
- Vega4 - Life Is Beautiful
- McLean - Broken
- Swiss feat. Music Kidz - One in a Million
- Wiley - Wearing My Rolex
- Clement Marfo & The Frontline – Champion
- iTunes Bonus
- Craig David - One More Lie (Standing in the Shadows) [Donae'o Mix]
- N-Dubz - I Don't Wanna Go to Sleep
- LP & JC - Let's Dance
- Movie Clip 1
- Movie Clip 2
Streetdance 2 was released in UK cinema screens, in 3D and 2D, on 30 March 2012. Early casting calls revealed the sequel to have a "Latin twist". The two lead characters will be named Ash and Eva.
- "Streetdance 3D premieres in London". ITN. 11 May 2010. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- "StreetDance 3D". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Reynolds, Simon (25 May 2010). "'StreetDance' beats 'Persia' at UK box office". Digital Spy. digitalspy.co.uk. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- "» Casting call hints at Streetdance 3D sequel plot and characters – AllStreetDance". Allstreetdance.co.uk. 17 December 2010. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "» Streetdance 2 casting call reveals details of main characters – AllStreetDance". Allstreetdance.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-05-19.