Strong (Robbie Williams song)
|Single by Robbie Williams|
|from the album I've Been Expecting You|
|Released||15 March 1999|
|Format||CD single, cassette|
|Length||4:39 (album version)
4:19 (radio edit)
|Songwriter(s)||Robbie Williams, Guy Chambers|
|Producer(s)||Guy Chambers, Steve Power|
|Robbie Williams singles chronology|
"Strong" is a song by English recording artist Robbie Williams. It was released on 15 March 1999 as the third single from his second studio album, I've Been Expecting You (1998). The song managed to break into the top five in the United Kingdom. The B-side is the live version of "Let Me Entertain You" recorded at the 1999 Brit Awards, the performance was included on the single in the enhanced section.
In June 2017, Williams performed at the One Love Manchester benefit concert, in aid of the Manchester Arena bombing victims and as a display of the city's unity against terrorism. Williams opened and closed his set by leading a 55,000-strong terrace chant of the song's chorus, changing the lyrics to "Manchester we're strong, we're strong, we're strong. And we're still singing our songs, our songs, our songs!".  
On the final night of Williams's 2003 Knebworth House concerts, 125,000 ticketholders sang Strong to set the world record for Most Karaoke Participants. Williams and his audience held the record until 2009, when 160,000 people sang Friends in Low Places by Garth Brooks whilst in attendance at the 2009 NASCAR Sharpie 500 race. 
"Strong" was written by Williams while he was in a hotel in Cologne. It was inspired by some of his most hardcore fans, who, Williams confessed, "scared the living daylights out of [him]". "I just wanted them to understand I'm not being rude, but I'm feeling a bit scared of everything," he said.
The video is a compilation of on-tour footage, including many live performances, Williams with his nephew, Williams on stage with his dad, and Williams goofing off.
The song became Williams' seventh top five single in the United Kingdom when it was released in March 1999, the track also managed to break inside the top ten in New Zealand, but it did not make a bigger impact around Europe.
- In 2015, Lower Than Atlantis released a cover of the song on the 2015 reissue of their self-titled album.
- "Strong" – 4:39
- "Let Me Entertain You" (live at the Brits 1999) – 4:44
- "Happy Song" – 2:53
- "Let Me Entertain You" (live at the Brits 1999 – enhanced video) – 5:40
Charts and certifications
- Levine, Nick (5 June 2017). "Watch Robbie Williams change 'Strong' lyrics in tribute to Manchester". NME. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "Strong". RobbieWilliams.com. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- "Robbie Williams - Strong". YouTube. 10 January 2011. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- Kraus, Brian (6 November 2015). "Lower Than Atlantis cover Vanessa Carlton’s “A Thousand Miles”". Alternative Press. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Lescharts.com – Robbie Williams – Strong" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Robbie Williams Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Robbie Williams – Strong". IRMA. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Robbie Williams – Strong" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Robbie Williams – Strong". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart: 1999-03-27" UK Singles Chart.
- "British single certifications – Robbie Williams – Strong". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Strong in the search field and then press Enter.