|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Spoken languages||Maarwari, Hindi|
Sumerpur is a city in the south part of Pali District of Rajasthan state in India. The town is headquarters of the Sumerpur revenue subdivision, and Sumerpur Tahsil. Sumerpur is an important agricultural mandi (large market) for Pali, Sirohi and Jalore districts.
Sumerpur is located at the eastern side of the Thar Desert, on the right (north) bank of the Jawai River. The Jawal River is an intermittent stream that runs during monsoon season, and is tributary to the Luni River. The Sumerpur township covers an area of 500 m².
The Jawai Bandh is a dam built across the Jawai river about 8 km southeast of the town centre. The dam was built between 1946 and 1957, and is the biggest dam in the western Rajasthan. The reservoir provides habitat for wintering migratory birds, and is the main water supply source for Jodhpur city.
In the 2011 India census, Sumerpur had a population of 37,093. Males constituted 52% (19,202) of the population and females 48% (17,891). Sumerpur had an average literacy rate of 68.22%, lower than the national average of 74.04%: male literacy was 77.14%, and female literacy was 58.63%. In 2011 in Sumerpur, 12% of the population was under 6 years of age.
In the 2001 India census, Sumerpur had a population of 31,482. Males constituted 52% (16,486) of the population and females 48% (14,996). Sumerpur had an average literacy rate of 60%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy was 71%, and female literacy was 47%. In 2001 in Sumerpur, 12% of the population was under 6 years of age.
Sumerpur is famous for its Daal Bati and Churma. It is found at most of the occasions whether it be marriage or festival.
Sumerpur is Tirupati industries aata chalani one of the biggest markets for mustard seed. Cotton and chillis are exported from Sumerpur. Ghee making is a cottage industry of the town. Other major industries of Sumerpur are iron and wood works. Sumerpur is known in Rajasthan for its ornamental iron works, which produces articles such as iron furniture, gates and railings. Almost all the work is organised in the form of small-scale industries.whereas, automobile retailers sales a lot over the areas near the town.
- https://askpincode.com/306902 Sumerpur Pincode
- Name: Maharaja Shri Ummaid Singh Krishi Upaj Mandi & also known for its Natural Vegetation
- Pali, India, Sheet NG 43-09 (topographic map, scale 1:250,000), Series U-502, United States Army Map Service, November 1959
- "Irrigation by Different Sources:, District: Pali" (PDF). Central Groundwater Board.
- "Tourist Places". Pali District. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.