This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Chad Nelsen, CEO|
The Surfrider Foundation USA is a U.S. 501(c)(3) grassroots non-profit environmental organization that works to protect and preserve the world's oceans, waves and beaches. The Surfrider Foundation largely focuses its work on such issues as water quality, beach access, beach and surf spot preservation, and sustaining marine and coastal ecosystems.
The current CEO is Chad Nelsen.
The protection and enjoyment of oceans, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network.
The Surfrider Foundation was started in Malibu, California in 1984 by a handful of surfers to protest threats to their local surf break at Malibu Point. The organization continued on for several years as a loose advocacy group until 1991, when the first chapters were founded. At that point the Surfrider Foundation transitioned into a grassroots activist organization. Today the Surfrider Foundation maintains over 50,000 members and 80 chapters worldwide.
Surfrider Foundation volunteers and staff utilize a number of programs in their efforts to protect the coast and raise awareness of environmental issues.
- Respect the Beach - A coastal education program to inform students
- State of the Beach - A continuously updated report published by the Surfrider Foundation that evaluates coastal environments by a number of "Beach Health Indicators"
- Blue Water Task Force - An all-volunteer led monitoring program that tests and reports on coastal water quality.
- Ocean Friendly Gardens - An outreach program designed to reduce urban runoff and residential water consumption.
- Ocean Friendly Restaurants - An outreach program designed to reduce single use plastic. The Ocean Friendly Restaurants program offers restaurants an easy way to show their commitment to making sustainable choices for our ocean.
- Rise Above Plastics - An educational program designed to raise awareness of and reduce the amount of plastic pollution in our marine environments.
- Beachapedia A wiki-based coastal information resource drawing on expertise of Surfrider Foundation experts and activists.
Surfrider Oahu Chapter hosts the annual John Kelly Environmental Awards in Waimea Valley on the North Shore of Oahu every year in November to coincide with the surf season kick-off, aka the Vans Triple Crown. Awards are dedicated to those who "have helped protect and enhance our coastal community and environment". Three awards are given each year; Lifetime achievement Award, Oahu-based Organization Award and Professional Surfer Award.
There are 70 Surfrider chapters located along the US East, West, Gulf of Mexico, Hawaiian and Puerto Rico coasts.
Notable members and supporters
- Jeff Bridges, actor
- Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia
- Woody Harrelson, actor
- Gregory Harrison actor
- Mark Hoppus, musician
- Bruce Johnston, musician
- Jason Mraz, musician 
- Tristan Prettyman, musician
- Eddie Vedder, musician
- "The Surfrider Foundation" (PDF). Foundation Center. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Meet Surfrider's New CEO: Chad Nelsen". surfrider.org. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Mission". surfrider.org. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Annual John Kelly Environmental Achievement Awards - Surfrider Oahu". surfrider.org. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "LEGENDARY SURFERS: LEGENDARY SURFER: MARK CUNNINGHAM". files.legendarysurfers.com. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Duane DeSoto Wins World Longboard Title - Adventure Sports Network". transworld.net. 5 November 2010. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Surfrider Foundation - Main Chapters Page". surfrider.org. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Advisory Board". The Surfrider Foundation web site. The Surfrider Foundation. Retrieved January 27, 2009.
- "Musician, Producer and Scuba Diver: Blink-182's bassist Mark Hoppus tells us about his connection to our ocean". Making Waves: 9–10. February 2010.
- Cite error: The named reference
celebsupporterswas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "CELEBRITIES SURF FIRST POINT AT THE SURFRIDER FOUNDATION'S 6TH ANNUAL CELEBRITY EXPRESSION SESSION". surfrider.org. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "5 Questions with Tristan Prettyman". Making Waves. Surfrider Foundation. 29 (1): 28–29. February 2013.