|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
|Known for||Ten martini problem|
|Awards||Ruth Lyttle Satter Prize in Mathematics (2005)|
|Institutions||University of California, Irvine|
|Thesis||Spectral and Statistical Properties of Lattice Hamiltonians (1991)|
|Doctoral advisor||Yakov Sinai|
Her undergraduate studies were at Moscow State University, where she was a student of, among others, Vladimir Arnold and Yakov Sinai. She obtained her Ph.D. from Moscow State University in 1991 under the supervision of Yakov Sinai. She joined the mathematics department at the University of California, Irvine in 1991 as a lecturer, and became an assistant professor there in 1994 and a full professor in 2000. She is best known for solving the ten martini problem along with mathematician Artur Avila.
- Jitomirskaya, Svetlana Ya. (1999), "Metal-insulator transition for the almost Mathieu operator", Annals of Mathematics, Second Series, 150 (3): 1159–1175, arXiv:math/9911265, doi:10.2307/121066, JSTOR 121066, MR 1740982.
- Avila, Artur; Jitomirskaya, Svetlana (2009), "The Ten Martini Problem", Annals of Mathematics, Second Series, 170 (1): 303–342, arXiv:math/0503363, doi:10.4007/annals.2009.170.303, MR 2521117.
- Jitomirskaya, Svetlana; Last, Yoram (1999), "Power-law subordinacy and singular spectra. I. Half-line operators", Acta Mathematica, 183 (2): 171–189, doi:10.1007/BF02392827, MR 1738043.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Svetlana Jitomirskaya", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Jitomirskaya's CV
- Svetlana Jitomirskaya at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Avila, Artur; Jitomirskaya, Svetlana (2006). "Solving the Ten Martini Problem". Mathematical Physics of Quantum Mechanics. Lecture Notes in Physics. 690. pp. 5–16. arXiv:math/0503363. doi:10.1007/3-540-34273-7_2. ISBN 978-3-540-31026-6.
- "2005 Satter Prize" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 52 (4): 447–448, April 2005.
- "Around Town: UC Irvine professor named fellow of American Academy of Arts and Sciences", Los Angeles Times, April 21, 2018
- Home page of Svetlana Jitomirskaya
- Riddle, Larry (January 10, 2014), "Svetlana Jitomirskaya", Biographies of Women Mathematicians, Agnes Scott College, retrieved 2015-10-22.
- UCI Distinguished Mid-Career Award for Research 2004–2005 at the Wayback Machine (archived September 3, 2004)